Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rottweiller

• 03-07-2016 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

whats your idea on this breed of dog only replies from owners please not inexperienced tv watchers who think they know whats right thank u

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What are you looking to know? Your question or query is a hit vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭EIREAROEIRE

just other peoples views they dont seem to be popular dog any more

But views on what? Have you got a rottweiler? Do you need to know something in particular about them?
    Rottweilers have never been a popular dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭White Ninja

I had one, they're an amazing breed, very even tempered, but very suspicious of new people and do have a strong protective instinct. We had a few issues with the ESB meter reading guy, and some other people who called to the house when nobody was home. He didn't bite anyone, but wouldn't let them leave the property.
    But he was very friendly with people he knew, we used to have a lot of small children around the house, they'd be climbing all over him and he loved playing with them.
    A big downside to them is the short lifespan, mine got diabetes when he was 8, the vet said we could keep him alive with insulin injections, but he'd probably go blind, so I decided it was best to put him down, he was very sick. The vet said typically around 8 years they start to have health issues, and 8-10yrs is pretty a average lifespan for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

A friend has 1 of them, great dogs. When I was getting my own dog I had it narrowed down to a Rottweiler, German shepherd or Labrador. All large, intelligent dogs easy to train.
    In the end the fact that Rottweiler and shepherd's are on restricted breeds list it made it a no brainer to go for the lab and I am glad I did.
    Not that the lab would be a better dog (she is great by the way) but it's the freedom I have with her. I regularly bring her to large gatherings and people dote on her, telling their kids to play with her etc...I can't see that happening with dogs that are considered dangerous by many (i say considered before anyone jumps on me).
    Furthermore I have 2 large dog parks near me that I use a bit. There are about 8-10 breeds not allowed in here. Including rotties. When I am.in the main park I like to go in there with the lab, my friend can't with his rottie. Sometimes if it's only people we know we go in anyway but we have seen people walk out when the Rottweiler comes in.
    There was also a complaint against him anonymously.

So, great dogs, just as playful and intelligent as my lab but society not as accepting of them.

For that reason, and that reason only, I wouldn't get one. Loads and loads of viable alternatives.

• Advertisement

I own 3 and my oldest is nearly 10. Great dogs and would have any other breed. Well not for a while anyway lol. Maybe when I get older I might need something smaller ha ha.
    Any questions just shout.

Advertisement