Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build

Options
  • 03-07-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What Would you build a 1800 sqf bungalow for?

Block build

North cork area?

Is it better go direct or get a building contractor to do it

Thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is plenty already written on this forum about these topics:
    what have you learned from perusing them?
    Is the site you are getting to build on fully serviced?

Have you looked at this resource?
    https://www.scsi.ie/policy_research/house_delivery_cost_calculator

For a proper house, the 200k mortgage approval wont go very far with 1,800 sq feet, my estimate would be closer to 300k

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BOARDHOG

All lot of hassle going direct labour. You will make a saving if you can do bits yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

We are currently in the middle of a self build (slates should be finished this week) and what I'll say is that unless one of you is a tradesman or at the very least, "handy", I would be cautious about undertaking a self build. Savings we have made so far have been in the labour that we have been able to do ourselves (digging foundations, pouring them, radon, roof structure, fascia, soffit, fixing mistakes (of which there are plenty in a self build, well ours anyway) etc. etc. However, doing the work ourselves in the evenings means that everything gets delayed. For us, that doesn't matter, we're in our 20s with no kids but I know for a lot of people, time is a major issue.

The majority of your budget will go towards good quality materials, I think I've read some brilliant posters here before saying the divide is 75/25 in terms of cost of materials v cost of labour so even with a self build and doing the labour yourself, is it worth all the extra time and stress?

It's a difficult decision, Thank God for us self building seems to have been the right choice. While it's stressful, we have a lot of contacts, professionals and friends who give us great advice and that helps. Himself being a carpenter has been a fantastic help obviously too. Just make sure you weigh up everything before you decide, it's a big undertaking!

In terms of budget, we are building a very simple layout 2 storey house, 2650sq.ft. Nothing too fancy, very little steel or mad structural work needed (but our engineer is very safe so we probably spent a little extra because of that, not complaining, I'd rather be on the safe side!).
    By the time we have the house closed in; roof finished, external plastering, stone work and windows in we think we will have spent about €90,000/100,000 on finishing the house and large garage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

FiOT wrote: »
    We are currently in the middle of a self build (slates should be finished this week) and what I'll say is that unless one of you is a tradesman or at the very least, "handy", I would be cautious about undertaking a self build. Savings we have made so far have been in the labour that we have been able to do ourselves (digging foundations, pouring them, radon, roof structure, fascia, soffit, fixing mistakes (of which there are plenty in a self build, well ours anyway) etc. etc. However, doing the work ourselves in the evenings means that everything gets delayed. For us, that doesn't matter, we're in our 20s with no kids but I know for a lot of people, time is a major issue.

The majority of your budget will go towards good quality materials, I think I've read some brilliant posters here before saying the divide is 75/25 in terms of cost of materials v cost of labour so even with a self build and doing the labour yourself, is it worth all the extra time and stress?

It's a difficult decision, Thank God for us self building seems to have been the right choice. While it's stressful, we have a lot of contacts, professionals and friends who give us great advice and that helps. Himself being a carpenter has been a fantastic help obviously too. Just make sure you weigh up everything before you decide, it's a big undertaking!

In terms of budget, we are building a very simple layout 2 storey house, 2650sq.ft. Nothing too fancy, very little steel or mad structural work needed (but our engineer is very safe so we probably spent a little extra because of that, not complaining, I'd rather be on the safe side!).
    By the time we have the house closed in; roof finished, external plastering, stone work and windows in we think we will have spent about €90,000/100,000 on finishing the house and large garage.

90k all in for a 2650 Sq. Ft house?

kceire wrote: »
    90k all in for a 2650 Sq. Ft house?

For block build, cut roof, felt and slates and all the other roof bits, windows, external plastering, and about 80 sqm of stone work. Probably closer to 100 than the 90! Nothing done internally yet!

• Advertisement

I see now that my post sounds like we have finished completely! Sorry, I just mean finished the external work - didn't mean to be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bec1975

FiOT wrote: »
    I see now that my post sounds like we have finished completely! Sorry, I just mean finished the external work - didn't mean to be misleading.

That price is still really good - I know this post was a while ago- how is it going? Do you have final costs?

Advertisement