Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ELSE to make with haggis?

• 03-07-2016 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

I mean recipes, wise guys. :)

Seriously, I have two frozen haggises that I bought in January and I need to make at least one. My husband is passionately averse to "neeps and tatties" and although I am fine with both yellow turnips and potatoes I don't much care for the combination. I made Chicken Balmoral (chicken breast parcels stuffed with haggis and wrapped with streaky bacon, served with a whisky sauce) a lot. I have some puff pastry and I thought I'd make "sausage rolls" with them, but my husband turned his nose up at those too.

Haggis is not terribly dissimilar to the sort of Cajun boudin I had in Louisiana. They used to make balls out of boudin there, rolled in breadcrumbs and deep-fried and eaten, astonishingly, for breakfast. Absolutely disgusting to think about and very good indeed to eat. But I'd like something good for dinner instead.

I'm a good cook and an inventive one, but all I can come up with at the moment is using haggis as a stuffing. Or perhaps mixing it with mince and making meat loaf out of it. What else would work?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Anything you can use black or white pudding in, you can use haggis for as a substitute. For example, Nigel Slater has a really nice sausage & lentil stew recipe that works really well with the addition of some haggis - it's a variation on the "Sausage & lentil supper" recipe here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Fysh wrote: »
    Anything you can use black or white pudding in, you can use haggis for as a substitute. For example, Nigel Slater has a really nice sausage & lentil stew recipe that works really well with the addition of some haggis - it's a variation on the "Sausage & lentil supper" recipe here.

That looks amazing, thanks :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Also, I have not yet tried this recipe but, given that Bacon Makes Everything Better, I suspect you could probably use haggis in place of suasagemeat in this recipe to create something delicious (if probably artery-clogging!).

Fysh wrote: »
    Also, I have not yet tried this recipe but, given that Bacon Makes Everything Better, I suspect you could probably use haggis in place of suasagemeat in this recipe to create something delicious (if probably artery-clogging!).

My husband's jaw will drop when he sees this, anyway... he aspires to do wonderful things with his smoker. Spot on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Haggis also works fantastically well as a base for burritos if you want a recipe that's a little less work.

• Advertisement

Haggis also works fantastically well as a base for burritos if you want a recipe that's a little less work.

I worked in a Mexican restaurant back in the day, and that made me laugh. I'm going to have to ask an Aberdonian engineer I know who is now a Houston resident (oil industry, naturally) what he recommends in place of the refried beans. 50/50 he'll say "spuds". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How about use it as an ingredient in a Full Scottish Breakfast? Sausages, fried eggs, bacon, fried potato and haggis?

Thats what I had for my breakfast almost every day last week. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Speedwell wrote: »
    I worked in a Mexican restaurant back in the day, and that made me laugh. I'm going to have to ask an Aberdonian engineer I know who is now a Houston resident (oil industry, naturally) what he recommends in place of the refried beans. 50/50 he'll say "spuds". :)

Probably say tatties :p

I'd imagine you could you coud use it as an alternative to minced meat presuming its not the very firm style of haggis similar to pudding meat. I'm here thinking how lovely a haggis lasagne or haggis spaghetti bolognese would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Haggis Rolls - like sausage rolls but you know ... with haggis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Haggis pies. Like a Scotch pie but with Haggis, topped with mash and baked beans..

A dish that is dying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement