Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxgloves

Options
  • 03-07-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi folks, I have lots of foxgloves flowering over the last month, the bees have had a field day with them. I would like to keep them going, if i cut off the developing seeds heads, will they flower again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They won't grow again but they usually self seed if left alone and you will have loads next year. Pull up the old ones after they have shed their seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

danjo-xx wrote: »
    you will have loads next year.

They certainly do seed everywhere and you can weed them out or transplant them from pots or areas where you don't need them. They take 2 years to come to flowering (biennials) but once you get into the cycle that won't matter, except to remember that the small flat rosette of leaves seemingly doing nothing next year is the following years tall flower spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Thanks folks, I'll transplant those seedlings when they appear

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

We have lots of foxgloves and we don't touch them at all. Seeds get everywhere (except of course the seeds I bought this year to try and get some differing colours in - none of them have done anything at all!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Digitalis,I love me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Little blue heart tablets are made from them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

beware they are poisonous so if you have kids, i would avoid
    http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/digitalis.htm

and you can get poisoned from over consuming medicines made from them

Advertisement