Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC cabling issue

• 03-07-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

I've got 2 UPC boxes and I want to move one. The new location is going to be in the room next to the first box. They'll actually be within 0.5m of each other so my intention was to split the cable and run it through the wall.

The first box is a horizon and I also have a separated modem. The cable from the upc box on the wall is split, one for the modem, one for the horizon box using the splitter below. IN is obviously direct from the wall, OUT 2.2DB is going to the modem, TAP 6.5db is going to the horizon box.

IMG20160703122601_zpsbayd773s.jpg

So I tried to just put a basic splitter in, didn't work. Then I tried a metal sat splitter I had lying about, 1 in and 2 out - 2 way splitter 5-1000mhz. Again didn't work.

So what do I need to split that cable that's going to the horizon box so that I can plug it into my other UPC box (old big cisco one)???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Got it working using the metal SAT splitter. It was the cables I was using. I made up new ones with some proper cable i had lying about from my freesat setup and it's working a treat now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

lafors wrote: »
    ... It was the cables I was using. I made up new ones with some proper cable i had lying about from my freesat setup and it's working a treat now

Makes me wonder what kind of cable you were trying first, if it wouldn't work over such a short distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Thurston? wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what kind of cable you were trying first, if it wouldn't work over such a short distance?

They were pre made (moulded connection on the end) that were probably from the old analog days, they're about just over half the diameter of the sat cable I made up.

Wonder if there's a break in them, I had wound them and cable tied them so they may have damaged the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nathanq

hi,
    What you Really should do is ring 1908 Virgin Media Ireland. Get put threw to the Technical department then ask them if they could Move the cable line line to another room. You will have to pay but it is good in the down run because you can watch the channels in the desired room :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

nathanq wrote: »
    hi,
    What you Really should do is ring 1908 Virgin Media Ireland. Get put threw to the Technical department then ask them if they could Move the cable line line to another room. You will have to pay but it is good in the down run because you can watch the channels in the desired room :)

There is zero need to do this if you know what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

hi,

what?

to move some coax?

what a waste of good cash that would be..

I was laying coax about the parent's gaff when I was about 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

lawred2 wrote: »
    what?

to move some coax?

That was in the days of analogue when you coule use any old crappy unshieled cable.

Nowadays with high speed internet its incredibly important that the right standard of Shielded co-axial cabelling is used and that the correct standard splitters are used. Also the levels for split and extended cable needs to be measured using meters the UPC technitions have and know how to use.

so yea, theres a big difference between thinking you know what you're doing and actually knowing what youre doing. Its the same reason you have to have registered electricians and gas suppliers do any domestic work nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That was in the days of analogue when you coule use any old crappy unshieled cable.

Nowadays with high speed internet its incredibly important that the right standard of Shielded co-axial cabelling is used and that the correct standard splitters are used. Also the levels for split and extended cable needs to be measured using meters the UPC technitions have and know how to use.

so yea, theres a big difference between thinking you know what you're doing and actually knowing what youre doing. Its the same reason you have to have registered electricians and gas suppliers do any domestic work nowadays.

The specifications and requirements have changed but it's still coax. Higher quality coax but still... it's coax.

Let's not get carried away here.

Appropriate coax and splitters are easily available. Someone who has done it before could easily make a better twist-on F connector than a Virgin "engineer" grappling a crimper he doesn't know.

lawred2 wrote: »
    what?

to move some coax?

If you feel confortable fitting the cable threw the wall.

Then go ahead it is just that it takes them 25Mins compare to 3-4 Hours and they do it more safer as you could hit a cable or something which could get you injurged or WORSE.
    ive being putting coax down for about 5 years when i was 11. so its a breeze to me :)

• Advertisement

is your bill up to date as virgin media stops the routers and set-top boxes from reciving any signal.
    and the cable that you are using is the cable thick or thin because thin cable can only broadcast to on thing
    as for the thick Coax cable contains Outer plastic sheath copper shield,Inner dielectric insulator,Copper core
    Which can handle up to 5 connectings

swap the cables around to see if one side isnt working because as i noticed thay have to differnet frequences normally 1 is for channels and the ather one is for radio or internet that is why it is never used and i saw on the left you have an extention on the wire that could have a high impact in working try and use a differnet cable.
    And check and see if the wire is cut or bent or mabye the wire got cut from the mains

If you feel confortable fitting the cable threw the wall.

Then go ahead it is just that it takes them 25Mins compare to 3-4 Hours and they do it more safer as you could hit a cable or something which could get you injurged or WORSE.
    ive being putting coax down for about 5 years when i was 11. so its a breeze to me :)

Do I need to show you the photo of the massive hole a UPC "engineer" blasted in my wall due to not knowing how to use a drill properly? They had to send an actually competent plasterer back to repair it.

They are barely trained, they definitely aren't "more safer" no matter what way you try and parse that.
    is your bill up to date as virgin media stops the routers and set-top boxes from reciving any signal.
    and the cable that you are using is the cable thick or thin because thin cable can only broadcast to on thing
    as for the thick Coax cable contains Outer plastic sheath copper shield,Inner dielectric insulator,Copper core
    Which can handle up to 5 connectings

You are aware that the signal strength received is the primary determination of how often it can be split, not the cable used, right?
    swap the cables around to see if one side isnt working because as i noticed thay have to differnet frequences normally 1 is for channels and the ather one is for radio or internet that is why it is never used and i saw on the left you have an extention on the wire that could have a high impact in working try and use a differnet cable.
    And check and see if the wire is cut or bent or mabye the wire got cut from the mains

Its FM radio, as the writing on the actual socket tells you.

Advertisement