Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Tour de France Stage 2 » Saint-Lô › Cherbourg (183k)

Options
  • 03-07-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭

The route

After a thrilling opening sprint yesterday, Mark Cavendish will be looking to defend his yellow jersey on a parcours that will be less favourable to the big men than stage 1. Stage 2 is 183km in length and feature 4 categorised climbs. The real challenge comes right at the end. A small ramp at 8kms to go may act as a launch pad before the riders tackle the tough finishing climb.

Stage-1464952377.jpg

The final climb comes in two part. the first part is almost 2kms in length, with an average of 6% and a leg breaking maximum on 14%. After some respite on the short downhill, the riders will take on the final 700m climb to the line, which pitches up at a steady 5%.
    Stage-1464964358.jpeg

The Contenders

Two type of rider could figure today. Firstly, the "fast men who can climb" will be hoping to hang on on the steep stuff and the there to contest the finish. This category includes OBE's Matthews, Edvald Bossan Hagen, and Bryan Coquard from Direct Energie. If they survive the 14% segments, they'll fancy their chances at the finish.

The second type is the "climber with a kick", who will be hoping to rid the peloton of the quick men mentioned above and possible win solo. Look to our own Dan Martin, the evergreen Valverde, and riders like Alexis Vuillermoz, to try and light up the climb and whittle down the group.

There are also a few riders who fit squarely into neither category, but who will be optimistic of a good result. Guys like Allaphillipe, Greg van Avermaet, and world champion Peter Sagan will all find the finale to their liking, and all are capable of winning in a sprint or solo.

Prediction

Martin to attack early, get brought back on the descent, and for Allaphillipe to counter and beat GVA to the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Contador down again and chasing on in the rain. Horrible start for him, personally don't think he'll make the finish. All falling very nicely for Froomey early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

Look who's back! Virenque in a brand new Festina ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

Not looking good for Sam unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

If he can get over today he may get the correct feeling in his poor body again ...at least he has other crash victims for company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Dan Martin told letour.com this morning: “It might not be hard enough for me. But of course if there is a chance. The idea is to ride to the front to keep out of trouble. I'm more here to compete for the GC and we have another chance in this stage with Julian Alaphilippe. I think this stage suits him better than it suits me.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

spock. wrote: »
    Dan Martin told letour.com this morning: “It might not be hard enough for me. But of course if there is a chance. The idea is to ride to the front to keep out of trouble. I'm more here to compete for the GC and we have another chance in this stage with Julian Alaphilippe. I think this stage suits him better than it suits me.”

He's just lulling the opponents into a false sense of security

Seriously impressive breakaway win on the cards, 2'16 lead with 9km remaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Entertaining stage for only the second day, has the feel of a one day classic.

1'30 with 4.9km, now Jasper Stuyven up front on his own. Come on!!

Mechanical for Porte, will do well to limit his losses.

• Advertisement

Richie Porte losing oodles of time with a sloooow wheel change!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Poor Richie is screwed, thats harsh luck and not a teammate nearby to help, poor show by BMC.

This breakway rider seems to have a very decent chance here, always good to see one stick!

Cmcw1ozWEAAWJ7q.jpg:large

Really should be a team-mate there to chuck him a new bike

Dan and Alaphillipe in a lovely position!

Richie Porte losing oodles of time with a sloooow wheel change!! :eek:

Those Mavic guys just don't get the practice.

He's pulled out 30 seconds on that climb, that's good going.

Edit, makes no sense as he was only 30 seconds 500 metres ago.

1'06 over Cavendish but not the main group sadly, stupid graphic.

What a finish! Sagan finally gets his win.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cygan is just awesome.

Froome looked to get into the top 10? Lots of splits, another good day for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

No Carlton the graphics weren't wrong. You somehow misread them.

Great for Regan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

eagle eye wrote: »
    Cygan is just awesome.

Pascal?

Sagan into yellow?

1'06 over Cavendish but not the main group sadly, stupid graphic.

That explains it, I was thinking he must have done some effort on the climb to double the time gap he had.

Missed the earlier bit of the stage, it was mentioned that Contador had a double tumble, does he mean he fell twice today, or are they counting yesterday as the first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Pascal?

Carl even?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Sagan into yellow?

Yup. For the first time ever.

Also his first TDF stage win in 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Alaphilippe went a bit too early, there, youthful exuberance, good finish though, did any of the GC guys lose time to Froome? Poor Richie aside who got shafted?

CmczojWXEAA8g7Y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Carl even?

Peter?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Alaphilippe went a bit too early, there, youthful exuberance, good finish though, did any of the GC guys lose time to Froome? Poor Richie aside who got shafted?

I reckon Contador might have too

Advertisement