Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

knocksedan Demense, swords

• 03-07-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

looking to buy a house possibly here with my OH. viewed the show houses yesterday and we love them. we asked about buses coming up to the estate by sept. is there any truth in that does anyone know? also the roads seems quite narrow on the way up to it does anyone know if they plan on expanding on the roads and any shops going to be going into the estate or will there be a few shops put in near by (nearer than the eurospar) ?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There has been talk of putting in a better footpath and the possibility of the bus going as far as Knocksedan for years now, and I think your best bet would be to contact Fingal Co. Council and Dublin Bus. Up until now it's just been empty promises. As far as I know the nearest shops are the Tesco Express in Ridgewood and Supervalu in Boroimhe. I'd say there would have to be a lot more houses in Knocksedan before they'll put in shops.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There has been talk of putting in a better footpath and the possibility of the bus going as far as Knocksedan for years now, and I think your best bet would be to contact Fingal Co. Council and Dublin Bus. Up until now it's just been empty promises. As far as I know the nearest shops are the Tesco Express in Ridgewood and Supervalu in Boroimhe. I'd say there would have to be a lot more houses in Knocksedan before they'll put in shops.

Nearest shop would be the spar in the manor dizzy

I'd not see busses going up that way the roads are lethal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stheno wrote: »
    Nearest shop would be the spar in the manor dizzy

You're right! It's further than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Local councillors have regularly made noise publicly about getting a bus service into Knocksedan - the reality is it's an estate of less than 200 houses, I can't see how that ever could be remotely viable for a regular bus service other than maybe a school shuttle. I think what Knocksedan needs the most is an actual path to Swords Manor, but I don't think the lands are in the hands of the council.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Singer wrote: »
    Local councillors have regularly made noise publicly about getting a bus service into Knocksedan - the reality is it's an estate of less than 200 houses, I can't see how that ever could be remotely viable for a regular bus service other than maybe a school shuttle. I think what Knocksedan needs the most is an actual path to Swords Manor, but I don't think the lands are in the hands of the council.

It's a very isolated estate tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The number 60 bus used to go that way,down as far as the Leas Cross,till Aer Rianta blocked the road with the runway.
    It used to come from town thru Ballymun via the Boot Inn ,but Knocksedan and Kileek is lovely , your in open country within 30 mintute's of the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Stheno wrote: »
    It's a very isolated estate tbh
    It's a lovely estate, but there's no way you'd let children walk or cycle on the roads around there either. Way too dangerous. I could be wrong but I thought the council owned all the land up to the bridge from the park. If the (river valley/jacko) park was ever extended up that far, that would be the only way to safely get to the town for pedestrians.

There was a time when we were kid's you could go swimming in the river below the bridge and the river was full of wild brown trout.
    Wild garlic used to grow there as well as apple's and damson's as well as loganberry's and wild plum's if my memory serves me,and the big hill to the right of the bridge was always a fairy hill,happy memories as a child of that place .. it's still a beautiful area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

thanks for the replies everyone. Seems we are going ahead with the sale. Don't know a living soul in the area. House roughly supposed to be done in about 6 weeks. Any idea of things going on in the area for meeting people? Is there a community group at all etc ? we are a couple in our mid/late 30's with no kids.

thanks everyone.

Originally posted by mollybird -thanks for the replies everyone. Seems we are going ahead with the sale. Don't know a living soul in the area. House roughly supposed to be done in about 6 weeks. Any idea of things going on in the area for meeting people? Is there a community group at all etc ? we are a couple in our mid/late 30's with no kids.

thanks everyone.

Where would you begin,you really have everything on your doorstep ,a good step would be to check this excellent thread .. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055856230 and anything specific just ask here ,the good people here are always ready to help.

• Advertisement

thanks a mil dslamjack. we put down the deposit on fri. so it's all getting very real now. Can i ask what bin company ye use and what days it is collected?

It's Panda here in Lusk ,I'm not sure about Swords but I'm sure the good folk here will let you know.

We're in Swords and we use Panda. I think Greenstar operate in Swords too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AndyM1986

Hello,

We will be looking to buy a house in the next phase of development. If anyone could help, what is the neighbour like, and are the surrounding roads dangerous during Winter?

Also has there been any indication from the DAA about the impact the new runway will have on the estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

AndyM1986 wrote: »
    Hello,

We will be looking to buy a house in the next phase of development. If anyone could help, what is the neighbour like, and are the surrounding roads dangerous during Winter?

Also has there been any indication from the DAA about the impact the new runway will have on the estate?

They are country roads predominately around Knocksedan but they'd reasonably busy roads.A lot of people travel to/from the City, the N2 and even the M50 using the "backroads" rather than tackle the main thoroughfare into town/M1 etc.

But like any narrow, windy country roads wet and cold weather affect them more than say the main roads. But I've never had any specific major problem in terms of ice or snow, although I would tend to avoid those roads if there was a high chance of a lot of ice etc.

There is a hill just outside the estate down to the bridge (going towards Swords) and that used to get quite icy but the council have been good at gritting in the past few years. if your going city bound, once you hit the perimeter of the airport (couple of KM) from knocksedan the roads improve considerably.

Not sure about the new runway and other alignments, but I've never seen (heard) much of a problem in Swords with the airport in terms of noise

Thanks Uriel for that I really appreciate it!

On the working commute into the City Centre, do you know anything about the local Bus Service? The estate agent from Noel Kelly said that they are defiantly extending the bus service in Sept. Personally I don't think this will happen as the local roads into the estate don't look like they could accommodate a large bus/coach.

Thanks again for the help!

I seriously doubt that the bus route will be extended any time soon, so if I were you I'd call Dublin Bus and ask them just to be sure.

Thanks Dizzy

So for now, the Swords Express bus into town from Swords Manor looks like the main mode in.

AndyM1986 wrote: »
    Thanks Dizzy

So for now, the Swords Express bus into town from Swords Manor looks like the main mode in.

As dizzy said, I can't see the bus route being extended anytime soon but a call to Dublin bus and Swords express might clarify. There's nowhere really safe to put in bus stops in that area, either for a bus to stop or for people to cross the road.

The Swords express or the 41 Dublin bus services from Swords Manor would be your best bet, you could probably park in the estates around there, without complaint if you don't draw too much attention to yourself

Thanks so much guys!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

I live in Sw. Manor and as mentioned , there are a few cars that park in the estates , but generally noone minds . Theres also the big car park at the pub and there are cars that park there all day too.
    I think the problem with extending the bus service might be theres nowhere for a terminus like there is in Sw. Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dorans Pride

The bus service is most defintly extending to Knocksedan, with a limited service to begin with. Works commenced yesterday morning forming the new bus stop at the entrance (the buses will enter the estate and take the first right and swing around)

i can confirm what dorans said. i was out at our house doing some measurements on tue and saw the area of the entrance that has been cornered off to being working for our bus stop. It is def going ahead. i got the heads up from one of the local kids that there is a local fb page called knocksedan residents. it seriously is a really helpful page. we will have the 41 bus coming up by our estate.

Can someone tell me though does the 41 bus go through the airport?

mollybird wrote: »

Yes and it's the slowest bus in the world. I'd bet money that once that stop is operational though that the swords express guys will apply to extend their routes

i can confirm what dorans said. i was out at our house doing some measurements on tue and saw the area of the entrance that has been cornered off to being working for our bus stop. It is def going ahead. i got the heads up from one of the local kids that there is a local fb page called knocksedan residents. it seriously is a really helpful page. we will have the 41 bus coming up by our estate.

The 41C is bus that will be stopping there, it doesn't go through the airport. It goes through River Valley and heads for Santry without going into the airport

The 41C is bus that will be stopping there, it doesn't go through the airport. It goes through River Valley and heads for Santry without going into the airport

And is just as slow as the 41 unfortunately, given it takes so long to do the tour of Swords

Has anyone heard about a planned site for rapid build modular housing on Brackenstown road?

Love the idea of joining one of the GAA club's in the area? We don't have any kids but not sure is it a thing people do? Do any of the club's do any events or hold any big match viewings in the club house at all?

Love the idea of joining one of the GAA club's in the area? We don't have any kids but not sure is it a thing people do? Do any of the club's do any events or hold any big match viewings in the club house at all?

St Finians in River Valley are always on the look out for new players and non playing members, they hold a number of social events and activities throughout the year (Weekly bingo night, coffee shop on Saturday mornings, walks etc)
    Never too old to tog out and play with either the men or women's team
    The Peacocks pub and restaurant is next door to the club house and sponser the club, this would be where a number of social events take place

• Advertisement

Ya we don't play GAA also but i do love to watch it though. Being from Munster i try not miss any of the championship games and usually go to a few of the Cork games in Thurlas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

looking to buy a house possibly here with my OH. viewed the show houses yesterday and we love them. we asked about buses coming up to the estate by sept. is there any truth in that does anyone know? also the roads seems quite narrow on the way up to it does anyone know if they plan on expanding on the roads and any shops going to be going into the estate or will there be a few shops put in near by (nearer than the eurospar) ?

thanks
    Very unlike you'll get any of that. There was a local bus (no 60) which Dublin Bus took off quite a few years ago, and planning is so restrictive in the locality nobody is likely to try to acquire land for anything else. Not even locals can get planning permission to build on family land around there. Whoever built that must have paid one whopper of a bribe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I live in Sw. Manor and as mentioned , there are a few cars that park in the estates , but generally noone minds . Theres also the big car park at the pub and there are cars that park there all day too.
    I think the problem with extending the bus service might be theres nowhere for a terminus like there is in Sw. Manor.
    The original 60 route didn't need a terminus as the "return trip" into the city routed via Swords. The outbound trip went from city centre to Ballymun and then on via the back road. It didn't actually need a terminus but sometimes used to stop for a few minutes on the old Glasmore terminus. I can't see them restoring the route but the FG chair in Swords told me he managed to get the second 41x to Rivervalley by literally gathering numbers at every single stop for several months and sending photos to Dublin Bus to justify numbers. If you did something like that there is a shot at getting the bus back.
    Not sure I'd recommend all day parking around the Manor as residents are starting to kick up about cars being left outside their houses all day. Its more problematic closer to the town centre but people I've spoken to in the Manor are starting to get pissed off about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

dslamjack wrote: »
    There was a time when we were kid's you could go swimming in the river below the bridge and the river was full of wild brown trout.
    Wild garlic used to grow there as well as apple's and damson's as well as loganberry's and wild plum's if my memory serves me,and the big hill to the right of the bridge was always a fairy hill,happy memories as a child of that place .. it's still a beautiful area.

Wasn't it the spot that soliders met to march into town for the Easter Rising? Also, isn't it the tallest single arch bridge in Ireland? I was there this summer. The smell of garlic was over-powering, but I didn't know what to look, or forage for.

The river looked clean enough to swim in but I didn't see any signs of fish. Not to say there isn't. It runs into a much larger lake down beside an old mill. Really is a lovely spot to go for a walk.

I'd love to know more about the history. There is a walkway down to the old mill but it looks like it was closed up decades ago. Also some cool spraypaint on the Old Mill, if you're into that sort of thing.

edit: Just googled it. A lot of history to the area, dating back 100's of years!

http://www.swords-dublin.com/knocksedan-swords-history.html
    http://www.swords-dublin.com/the-jacko-river.html

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭mickmmc

The 41X will be extended to Knocksedan from 23rd January.

Departures from Knocksedan to UCD - 7:20 and 7:45

Departures from UCD to Knocksedan - 17:00 and 17:15

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Route-41x-Service-Improvement/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

shoegirl wrote: »
    The original 60 route didn't need a terminus as the "return trip" into the city routed via Swords. The outbound trip went from city centre to Ballymun and then on via the back road. It didn't actually need a terminus but sometimes used to stop for a few minutes on the old Glasmore terminus. I can't see them restoring the route but the FG chair in Swords told me he managed to get the second 41x to Rivervalley by literally gathering numbers at every single stop for several months and sending photos to Dublin Bus to justify numbers. If you did something like that there is a shot at getting the bus back.
    Not sure I'd recommend all day parking around the Manor as residents are starting to kick up about cars being left outside their houses all day. Its more problematic closer to the town centre but people I've spoken to in the Manor are starting to get pissed off about it.

Just to correct you, the original route 60 did actually have a terminus at Leas Cross where it reversed, turned around and returned the same way via Ballymun.

It was only in the last years of the route that it became a circular route, returning via Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

thanks

Hi there, Dublin Bus are commencing a new bus route to serve Knocksedan on Monday morning. Two services in the morning and two in the evening. Its an extension of the existing service from Brackenstown Road. I sincerely hope it is used so that I (and others, to be fair) can continue to lobby for a better service.

The footpath route using existing road is possible, if very expensive for your Councillors to deliver. Other option is through the trees direct to Brackenstown. As its privately owned, its in the hands of others but I firmly believe can happen if the negotiations continue. I'm working on this.

Its a really nice neighbourhood, it deserves better service from all agencies.

Hi there, Dublin Bus are commencing a new bus route to serve Knocksedan on Monday morning. Two services in the morning and two in the evening. Its an extension of the existing service from Brackenstown Road. I sincerely hope it is used so that I (and others, to be fair) can continue to lobby for a better service.

The footpath route using existing road is possible, if very expensive for your Councillors to deliver. Other option is through the trees direct to Brackenstown. As its privately owned, its in the hands of others but I firmly believe can happen if the negotiations continue. I'm working on this.

Its a really nice neighbourhood, it deserves better service from all agencies.

How many houses are currently in knocksedan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Uriel. wrote: »
    How many houses are currently in knocksedan?

Without immediate access to my database, my memory suggests 120 plus, but that most likely excludes those households who are not registered to vote, or those who are, but have not been brought to my attention. With the new element to the estate, I have no doubt that will increase.

Without immediate access to my database, my memory suggests 120 plus, but that most likely excludes those households who are not registered to vote, or those who are, but have not been brought to my attention. With the new element to the estate, I have no doubt that will increase.

That's a relatively small amount. Further you mention the cost of delivery for footpath service and you mention developing routes through private lands. Again a likely massive expense to the tax payer. I hope questions are being asked of fingal's planning policies and lessons have been learned

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Hi everyone,

Can you please tell me what would be the best option currently to commute to Pearse street (from approx 9:00 AM to approx 18:00 each day)?
    ..and how long would it take in practice?

Also, is it viable to drive to Malahide broomfield each morning for school start? ..and how long would it take in practice?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

xboxdad wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Can you please tell me what would be the best option currently to commute to Pearse street (from approx 9:00 AM to approx 18:00 each day)?
    ..and how long would it take in practice?

Also, is it viable to drive to Malahide broomfield each morning for school start? ..and how long would it take in practice?

Thank you!
    On the second question, I did that drive every day for a few years, up to last year, though finishing at Portmarnock community school. 15-20 minutes sounds roughly right. I checked it on google maps, and it gives the same route I used and same time estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

How's the bus going for people? Might be moving there later in the year and my OH is worried about the service, and only two per day. I'm hoping there's been a good uptake and perhaps there'll be more on offer...

The 41x (to UCD) is operated from Harristown garage and therefore it was an easy option to extend the 41x to Knocksedan; the bus was returning to and from the depot via a similar route anyway.

The extension of the of the 41 and 41c services to Knocksedan is more complex, as the vast majority of the services are operated from Summerhill garage in the City Centre.

Swords Express could extend their service to Knocksedan at minimal cost as their buses are entering service or returning to their depot in Blanchardstown via the back of the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Csalem

mickmmc wrote: »
    The 41x (to UCD) is operated from Harristown garage and therefore it was an easy option to extend the 41x to Knocksedan; the bus was returning to and from the depot via a similar route anyway.

The extension of the of the 41 and 41c services to Knocksedan is more complex, as the vast majority of the services are operated from Summerhill garage in the City Centre.

Swords Express could extend their service to Knocksedan at minimal cost as their buses are entering service or returning to their depot in Blanchardstown via the back of the airport.

Harristown and Summerhill both operate services on the 41/41C and 41X.

I usually check the fleet no. when getting on the bus and the vast majority of 41 and 41c services I get are Summerhill buses. I did get a 41c mid-week bus from Swords at 4:15pm to Abbey Street recently and that was a Harristown bus. That has been my experience and I did state in my comment above 'the vast majority' of 41 and 41c services.

I did not know that Summerhill operated 41x services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wally2013

Hi has anyone in the new build section (usher park) signed up for broadband? And what was the provider able to offer. Just finding it difficult get decent service. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

Wally2013 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone in the new build section (usher park) signed up for broadband? And what was the provider able to offer. Just finding it difficult get decent service. Thanks!!

Did you get your BB sorted? I'm moving to Knockedan and I'm wondering if there is fiber BB etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wally2013

Blair wrote: »
    Did you get your BB sorted? I'm moving to Knockedan and I'm wondering if there is fiber BB etc?

Hey I had originally ordered with sky along with tv but they could only offer 2mb which is pretry poor. They said they had no fibre ports left in Knocksedan. I was talking to eir and they can offer fibre so I've just ordered online as there are deals going at the minute. Hasn't been installed yet but hopefully there'll be no issues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

Wally2013 wrote: »
    Hey I had originally ordered with sky along with tv but they could only offer 2mb which is pretry poor. They said they had no fibre ports left in Knocksedan. I was talking to eir and they can offer fibre so I've just ordered online as there are deals going at the minute. Hasn't been installed yet but hopefully there'll be no issues!!

Thanks for the info, Im on Vodafone fibre at the moment, time for a change when I move.

I'm in Usher Park and was upgraded to fibre last week. They have only recently added new capacity to the cabinet

• Advertisement
Advertisement