Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do a router/modem combo or just router?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VDSL has a "boosting" technology called Vectoring that adds about 20-30% speed and not using it disadvantages you and your locality. Quite a few 3rd party modems fail to use it on OpenEirs deployment and thus leave you way behind. VR900s have had mixed reports so I wouldnt buy one unless you're sure it is fully compatible.

In general you should buy your own router and use your ISPs modem. That way you can buy a nice high end unit and it doesnt matter if you move home or change provider every 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

ED E wrote: »
    VDSL has a "boosting" technology called Vectoring that adds about 20-30% speed and not using it disadvantages you and your locality. Quite a few 3rd party modems fail to use it on OpenEirs deployment and thus leave you way behind. VR900s have had mixed reports so I wouldnt buy one unless you're sure it is fully compatible.

In general you should buy your own router and use your ISPs modem. That way you can buy a nice high end unit and it doesnt matter if you move home or change provider every 12 months.

There definitely seems to be a wider range of routers.
    What do you think of the ones I have linked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The C7 and C9 are both well recommended on the broadband forum. R7000 on the Netgear front appears to be a nice toy.

Advertisement