Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking stain gone wrong

Options
  • 03-07-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I hope this is the right place and someone can offer some wisdom...

There's some old decking in our garden - today my husband popped up to woodies and bought some ronseal decking stain in mahogany and popped it on. It's very red and garish! It will need a second coat so I want to get something a bit darker and cooler toned to hopefully salvage it - can anyone recommend what colour we should go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I hope this is the right place and someone can offer some wisdom...

There's some old decking in our garden - today my husband popped up to woodies and bought some ronseal decking stain in mahogany and popped it on. It's very red and garish! It will need a second coat so I want to get something a bit darker and cooler toned to hopefully salvage it - can anyone recommend what colour we should go for?

The oak should be darker.

You should always always always test it. First on any old discarded decking or a bit out of the way first.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

listermint wrote: »
    The oak should be darker.

You should always always always test it. First on any old discarded decking or a bit out of the way first.

Thanks so much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Oak stain would probably be a bit 'golden'. Teak stain is a better bet or walnut if available.

Advertisement