Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog guard for hatchback

• 03-07-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I need to get an easy install dog guard for a focus. Is the mesh one from Argos any good or where else do you get them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Hiya,

I need to get an easy install dog guard for a focus. Is the mesh one from Argos any good or where else do you get them?

I got mine in Halfords, fitted it myself. It was fairly easy. I have a Focus Estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks, I was just looking at the halfords ones, access from the back seat would be handy. As far as I know my local halfords can fit things for you as well if needed (or is that just baby seats).

Thanks, I was just looking at the halfords ones, access from the back seat would be handy. As far as I know my local halfords can fit things for you as well if needed (or is that just baby seats).

The Halfords in Blanchardstown definitely fit them if you ask. I know someone who got one fitted. They are handy enough to fit yourself & I'm pretty crap at stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I have a halfords one in my focus, doddle to install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I used the Zooplus Roadmaster on my focus, and it was definitely the best dog grill I've ever had. So sturdy, so easy to take on and off, and fit like a glove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Those one-size-fits-all dog guards are useless.
    All they are good for is to prevent the dog from climbing into the back seats ...but in the case of an accident they'd be more dangerous than not having one.

If you want a proper dog guard, look here:
    https://www.travall.ie/dog-guard

Bespoke dog guards that use the anchor points on your car instead of suction caps and springs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have one for the Focus estate in work, though it fits a range of hatchbacks, it clips very convincingly onto the headrest bars. It's quite a robust build of a thing too.
    I bought it in Halfords a couple of years ago, and I'm not seeing it on their site now... Cost about €70-80 I think.
    I'm with Peasant on the ones that use suction cups and pressure to keep the guard in place... When the poop hits the fan, I don't believe they'd do the job.

DBB wrote: »
    I have one for the Focus estate in work, though it fits a range of hatchbacks, it clips very convincingly onto the headrest bars. It's quite a robust build of a thing too.
    I bought it in Halfords a couple of years ago, and I'm not seeing it on their site now... Cost about €70-80 I think.
    I'm with Peasant on the ones that use suction cups and pressure to keep the guard in place... When the poop hits the fan, I don't believe they'd do the job.

That actually sounds like the one I brought in Halfords. I got it last year. It uses the headrest bars rather then suction cups. I still use crates in the car for smaller dogs. I use the mesh part for clipping on spare dog leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had the grey mesh one from halfords in my old car that clips to the headrests and it found it grand. I didn't really sit right in the new car so I splashed out and got the oem/Hyundai one which is now sitting behind the front seats rather than bolted at the boot and held in place with the clips off the halfords one and some 'legs' my dad made for it :P I dropped the seats and moved the dogs out of the boot after a nice old lady reversed into the back corner of the car when the dogs were in it :eek: Maybe check adverts and you might get a oem/travall one for a good price - I wouldn't pay full price for one again if I could get away with it because they're not worth that much second hand.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look on ad sites. I might keep the car a good while or I might not so I don't think I'd pay the full price for the expensive ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Thanks guys, I'll have a look on ad sites. I might keep the car a good while or I might not so I don't think I'd pay the full price for the expensive ones.

Just on that- I had my Roadmaster for years and across 2 different cars. If you keep all the bits for it, it can be adjusted to fit most standard size cars easily. I think it took me 20 mins to set it up to fit my old car, and then a slight adjustment to fit my focus. It remained sturdy throughout it's life, and I gave it away recently enough only because my dog had passed. It was still as perfect as the day I bought it (a little worn & slobbered upon, but grand otherwise!) when I gave it away, I'd be surprised if you got any less than a decade from the thing, tbh. Much better than the fiddly ones I'd had in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh I think MaxiZoo have the roadmaster one so you could take a look - I was in one time and they were trying a guard in somebody's car so I'm sure they'd let you do the same ;)

No maxizoos anywhere near me unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Mickgarage do one for 30 euro, not sure if it will fit your car. Wouldn't use it to stop a determined dog but is well capable of deterring one.

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=6142528

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Mickgarage do one for 30 euro, not sure if it will fit your car. Wouldn't use it to stop a determined dog but is well capable of deterring one.

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=6142528

sneeze at it and it will fall over...total waste of money

The only thing that's better is a crash tested dog crate that is securely bolted/strapped into the boot

http://www.safedog.co.uk/cratesizes.htm

(or possibly the original accessories dog guard from the manufacturer of your car ...but they can vary strongly in quality)

Advertisement