Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo Zonda wheels

Options
  • 03-07-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi guy
    Im just wondering has anybody any experience with the Campagnolo Zonda wheels.Im upgrading from Shimano rs31 and the zondas seem to be getting good reviews.There just for personal spins and some sportives but i do do a lot of climbing too and like to push a bit so just wondering would these be anyuse or go higher spec or carbon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

willdill wrote: »
    Hi guy
    Im just wondering has anybody any experience with the Campagnolo Zonda wheels.Im upgrading from Shimano rs31 and the zondas seem to be getting good reviews.There just for personal spins and some sportives but i do do a lot of climbing too and like to push a bit so just wondering would these be anyuse or go higher spec or carbon.

best wheelset under 700 euro (and better than some above that price). Can't go wrong for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Apparently they're bullet proof, laser straight, and are fixing the hole in the ozone. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

I've had a pair of zondas for the last 4 years (about 20,000 km) and I can't fault them. They are still as true as the day I got them although I have had to replace the freehub. Unless you are set on deep section wheels I don't think you can get a better bang for your buck. When the time comes to replace mine I will be going for Zondas again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I have a pair. Can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

+1 for Zondas.

I've been using them for the last 10,000km which includes commutes across Dublin City and all the potholes, rough roads etc.

They're still perfectly true. No other issues despite the fact I haven't even serviced the hubs yet.

Great value for money, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

longshanks wrote: »
    Apparently they're bullet proof, laser straight, and are fixing the hole in the ozone. You won't be disappointed.

And you will be a better person, if you buy them.
    Do a good search, there can be a big difference in price between various web shops.

Wiggle have them for €336 with free postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

Thanks guys appreciate that it looks like the zondas then. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Let you know when mine arrive . Hopefully this week.
    OH and I missed the wiggle price so ended up paying 30 more damn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Put over 20,000 on a pair and can't fault them either. Never went out of true and never popped a spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Swimcyclerun usually have them.. and normally next day delivery too.

EDIT: Nope, not at the moment. Shame.. cheap as anywhere else. Its where I got mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

OP, SwimCycleRun have them for €329 at the minute...

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset-with-shimano-hub.html

Out of stock at the min, it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have 2 seta of Zondas, one used and the second set brand new (just keping them until the original set wear out). Does anyone know what is the limit of wear on the braking surface?. The surface is now concave, maybe done a millimetr or two. Can't see any wear limit indicators.

youtheman wrote: »
    I have 2 seta of Zondas, one used and the second set brand new (just keping them until the original set wear out). Does anyone know what is the limit of wear on the braking surface?. The surface is now concave, maybe done a millimetr or two. Can't see any wear limit indicators.

I don't think there are any wear limit indicators. AFAIK, EU legislation requires limit indicators on wheels supplied with new bikes but the legislation doesn't apply to aftermarket wheels. I read this somewhere last year but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

It'd be great to know the wear limit. All I've used to date is the 'straight edge' method you mention to check for concave wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I bought a pair last week. First impressions are great. Light with good power transfer. Acceleration noticeably quicker than my stock wheels.

Interestingly, the freehub was completely silent on the first spin. Google says they get noisier once the grease wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I bought a set of campagnolo shamal ultra and they are sh*t hot! Love them. Super light and incredibly strong. What's your budget? They are €799 on wiggle which is a great price. http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-shamal-ultra-mega-g3-clincher-wheelset/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Don't like the rear lacing and its bad luck to have Campy wheels with a Shimano groupset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    its bad luck to have Campy wheels with a Shimano groupset.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

€319 on 4thebike.de with around €18 shipping.

Why?

It's also bad luck to kill a spider but if you squish one while riding a bike with Campy wheels and a Shimano grouppo then you'll suffer.......

.......or so I'm told.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have two sets, one on each bike. The ones on the winter bike are 5 years old now, have taken quite a lot abuse as they're only used in winter and wet weather and are still going strong and have never needed a moments attention. The set on my good bike are 18 months old and still like new and 100% straight and true.

For the price you'll find them extremely hard to beat.

Both my sets are on Shimano equipped bikes and while many kittens have died all over the world since I fitted them, I'm not to blame for any of their deaths. The same goes for baby goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's also bad luck to kill a spider but if you squish one while riding a bike with Campy wheels and a Shimano grouppo then you'll suffer.......

.......or so I'm told.........

ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well having done a TT and an 80km spin since i got mine, they are fantastic perfectly true (lots of certificates to prove it)

the bearings feel supersmooth and they are as light as my 5 year old ksyrium SL's, hopefully the freehub is better than the mavics.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Anybody seen any good prices on these recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ended up having to replace the rear hub on a set of Zondas with about 5000kms... they had seized up. cost 120 euro from what i remember. I've had Mavic wheels do 20k and never had a moments maintenance. suppose there will be one or 2 exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Anybody seen any good prices on these recently?

the new model is out now so they are north of 400 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

thekooman wrote: »
    the new model is out now so they are north of 400 euro

SCR have them for €380.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

py wrote: »
    SCR have them for €380.

No stock of them at the moment, and the last time they went out it took a long-ass time for them to be available again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Actually, Merlin look to have ok value on them at the moment, approx 460 euro, but with a pair of GP4000sII's and tubes included, that's not too shabby, IMHO, assuming you can run 25c tyres: https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-zonda-c17-road-wheels-95027.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can get Fulcrum 3 for 350 from Wiggle.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    You can get Fulcrum 3 for 350 from Wiggle.

Yep - the same wheel with a slightly different spoke pattern and white hubs. I bought a pair of Fulcrums just before Christmas and they are just as good as the Zondas.

Advertisement