Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo Zonda wheels

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've an old pair myself and I really like them. They're loud too which is handy in some situations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

One downside of the Zondas and Siroccos is that the hub is very expensive to replace. I've been in that dilemma a few times where I'm asking myself if it is feasible to spend approx €90 on a new hub for an 'off the shelf' wheel with a fair bit of rim wear.

EDIT: I mean freewheel - not hub!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My 2010 (they may even be as old as 2007, not sure) Zondas on my winter bike have taken a severe beating over the last 3 years and have never needed a moments attention and still spin and run true and free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

Weepsie wrote: »
    You can get Fulcrum 3 for 350 from Wiggle.

I know someone who has them and in 1 winter alone, had to replace the bearings several times. I wouldn't go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Anybody seen any good prices on these recently?

Some one must've been listening. Just up on adverts section €275

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057717221

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

IV had conflicting experiences with fulcrum, iv had the 5's as my main wheels and now as spares and their still going strong after 18000kms... I had 7s on a commuter that I wore out the rims on after 8k, currently have zeros on the nice bike and though they ride great iv changed the free hub three times in the 4k summer ish riding iv been using them in ... I probably wouldn't get them again at any price, they're lovely wheels for climbing though. Just looking for a new stiff everyday wheel now that the 5s are retired, Tho I know campagnolo is fulcrum Iv been hard pushed to find bad reviews on the zondas. I do like the 3's. Are they really the same wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

IV had conflicting experiences with fulcrum, iv had the 5's as my main wheels and now as spares and their still going strong after 18000kms... I had 7s on a commuter that I wore out the rims on after 8k, currently have zeros on the nice bike and though they ride great iv changed the free hub three times in the 4k summer ish riding iv been using them in ... I probably wouldn't get them again at any price, they're lovely wheels for climbing though. Just looking for a new stiff everyday wheel now that the 5s are retired, Tho I know campagnolo is fulcrum Iv been hard pushed to find bad reviews on the zondas. I do like the 3's. Are they really the same wheel?

Yes basically the same with slightly different rear spoke design and white hubs (which look terrible IMO)

I'm a firm Fulcrum/Campag fan and can safely say I will never consider anything else if buying new wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

thekooman wrote: »
    ended up having to replace the rear hub on a set of Zondas with about 5000kms... they had seized up. cost 120 euro from what i remember. I've had Mavic wheels do 20k and never had a moments maintenance. suppose there will be one or 2 exceptions.

Why didn't you just have the bearings in the hub and / or free hub replaced? They are both readily available and very cheap.

Don't know why a hub would need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I bought the new Zondas when they came back into stock on SCR in January when the price was 329. Only days later someone realized everywhere else was selling them for at least 379 so i was lucky as they upped the price.
    The box arrived labeled Shimano freehub and when i took them out to inspect them, the freehub was a lovely metal sturdy looking thing. It was only when i went to put my cassette on that i noticed it was a Campy freehub.

When the guy from SCR dropped a new wheel out to my house i was disappointed to see a plastic/cheap looking shimano freehub but i'm sure that's the standard shimano freehub that comes with them.
    Anyway i'm fairly impressed with them so far in the limited use they've got

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Unfortunately, as good as Zonda's are, they do not stand wet well. If you regularly check the hubs, they serve, spin nicely for very long. The weak spot in them is the bearing between the cassette and the hub. The seal lets in the moist, which gets onto the pawls and the inner bearing. Less of an issue is the opposite side. The front wheel has no issues at all it seems.

The way hubs are built, it takes 5 minutes to check all that - beautifully crafted, easy to maintain. I use green shimano hub grease for these, but it does cause a bit of discoloration of the bearing plastic guard. Probably better to use plastic safe grease (loctite superlube, for example, is great).

Big fan of campy wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Was going for a set of new fulcrums but a friend purchased the same set last September and used them all winter and both bearings went in them in Feb - would this be normal for a set used all winter?

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon disc are the wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Neither zonda or fulcrum hubs (same difference ) have additional sealing for wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Day one with my new Zondas today, what a fantastic wheelset. So smooth and stiff. Just lovely. I'm delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Myself and then my son ran a pair of scirocco's for a afew years. I changed the bearings as an upgrade soon after getting them.
    Ran fine until my son managed to break two spokes in the rear G3 pattern.
    No in a quandry whether to call it a day with the rear binning the a aperfectly good hub and rim or get a Campy spoke package and find someone to relace the rear g3.
    As its a 21 spoke hub getting a an after market rim to fit is almost impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

letape wrote: »
    Why didn't you just have the bearings in the hub and / or free hub replaced? They are both readily available and very cheap.

Don't know why a hub would need to be replaced.
    Only just seen this now... my lbs told me they needed replacing as I haven't a clue about hubs. I obviously got done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

koutoubia wrote: »
    Myself and then my son ran a pair of scirocco's for a afew years. I changed the bearings as an upgrade soon after getting them.
    Ran fine until my son managed to break two spokes in the rear G3 pattern.
    No in a quandry whether to call it a day with the rear binning the a aperfectly good hub and rim or get a Campy spoke package and find someone to relace the rear g3.
    As its a 21 spoke hub getting a an after market rim to fit is almost impossible!
    koutoubia - I have a pair of Sciroccos that I have 'retired' as the freehub needs attention and there is heavy rim wear. Are they any use to you for the spokes? There for the taking if you need them.

Advertisement