Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP in Maynooth - Baby

Options
  • 03-07-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I am hoping someone has experience of and can recommend a GP in Maynooth for a newborn?

I am new to Maynooth and need to register with a GP for my little one, but finding it hard to find recommendations online.

Any information would be gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

ElleToro wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping someone has experience of and can recommend a GP in Maynooth for a newborn?

I am new to Maynooth and need to register with a GP for my little one, but finding it hard to find recommendations online.

I went with Primacare for my little one. They seem fine so far plus you can go to any primacare with your card. It's a shame Dr Wilson at the lenister clinic doesn't except the gp card, best gp by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Wilson is good, but would not do vaccinations on my baba, so we left. I've gone to Cowhey in Parklands, really happy with the move. 2 doctors, a practice nurse, and parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We're also with Primacare Manor Mills, my main issue with them is there's often a locum in place so you mightn't get consistency of care - having said that I mostly get the same doctor when I go. The main advantage is the late evenings and Saturday opening hours (great for commuters!) and it's a bit cheaper when you join up with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Find it a nightmare to get an appt with Sullivan/cowhey in parklands. Plus they don't take card so cash only. 3 of us going there seriously considering primacare as have ended up there when unable to get appts.. Not having same doc is big drawback tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Staplor wrote: »
    Wilson is good, but would not do vaccinations on my baba, so we left. I've gone to Cowhey in Parklands, really happy with the move. 2 doctors, a practice nurse, and parking.

Why wouldn't he do vaccinations?

• Advertisement

We had a chat and vaccinations were big in the media at the time, having considered all angles I decided to proceed, he said he wouldn't administer them, other than that he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very strange and possibly unprofessional behaviour. I assumed you just meant he wasn't on the state fundedb vaccinations scheme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We had a chat and vaccinations were big in the media at the time, having considered all angles I decided to proceed, he said he wouldn't administer them, other than that he was excellent.

Are you serious? I'd be reporting him to the medical council, sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

We go to Dr O'Sullivan in parklands. I've had one incident where I found it difficult to get an appointment but I wouldn't take no for an answer and was seen 3 hours later. I'm very happy with her. I have never felt rushed and she is very thorough which I appreciate as a first time mother. The fact there is parking and no stairs to drag a buggy up is a plus for me.

L1011 wrote: »
    Very strange and possibly unprofessional behaviour. I assumed you just meant he wasn't on the state fundedb vaccinations scheme!
    I say it's more likely he not on the state funded scheme, he referred us elsewhere for vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ElleToro

Thank you for the recommendations. I have tried both Dr. Sullivan and Cowhey and they aren't taking on any new patients at the moment, receptionist noted that they're too busy, which is such a pity.

Very unfortunate that Dr. Wilson isn't on the under 6 scheme. I brought the little one to him to have his tongue tie snipped and thought he was impressive.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Are you serious? I'd be reporting him to the medical council, sharpish.

No way, I thought he was excellent otherwise

Thank you for the recommendations. I have tried both Dr. Sullivan and Cowhey and they aren't taking on any new patients at the moment, receptionist noted that they're too busy, which is such a pity.

Very unfortunate that Dr. Wilson isn't on the under 6 scheme. I brought the little one to him to have his tongue tie snipped and thought he was impressive.

Yeah I found him brilliant, I think he is disqualified from most of these state funded schemes due to his age.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dr Gaffney is great but not part of the u6 scheme so mine are also registered with Primacare . They have only been to the doctor about 8 times ever between the 4 of them though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm with Maynooth Medical Centre on main street above the pharmacy for myself, the husband and our 17 month old. Love it. It was a bit hit and miss when it changed hands but seems to have settled again. The pharmacy now know me, are really friendly and there is parking behind the pharmacy

Tango One wrote: »
    I say it's more likely he not on the state funded scheme, he referred us elsewhere for vaccination.

Wilson has been exposed (by a disgraceful paper, admittedly) as an anti-vaxxer who thinks Andrew Wakefield (struck off, lied to try further his own income, etc, etc) was right.

I would recommend avoiding him.

Of the GPs accepting new patients in the town I'd always recommend the Cowhey/O'Sullivan practice

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have to say I liked him as a gp, he read papers and contributes, I know people with kids who swear by him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Of the GPs accepting new patients in the town I'd always recommend the Cowhey/O'Sullivan practice

They're great, don't think they are accepting new patients any more though unless relat d to someone already a patient there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Why wouldn't he do vaccinations?

He's an antivaxxer. He still maintains that the MMR causes autism and advises parents against getting the HPV vaccine. Complete quack.

• Advertisement

Didn't see L1011's post about the news article when I posted that. A friend of mine goes to him so my knowledge about this guy is through him. That plus his blog where he talks absolute crap about autism and vaccines and discredited reports about Gardisil.

http://drnevillewilson.com/2015/04/13/vaccines-and-measles-outbreaks/
    http://drnevillewilson.com/2016/01/11/the-hpv-vaccine-gardasil-safety-concerns/

Have to say I liked him as a gp, he read papers and contributes, I know people with kids who swear by him

Reading papers which are withdrawn due to outright fraud (Wakefield) doesn't help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Don't know this Wilson guy but I do know another GP who advised against the swine flu jabs, especially pandemrix back when swine flu was the hot topic. Seeing some side effects from it now.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pandemrix-narcolepsy-link-study-1447040-May2014/

Pandemerix was rushed to market. Gardasil and the MMR weren't. Please don't confuse quackery with concern.

Wakefield is a conman who wanted to make make money off his own formulation MMR. Gardasil chatter is from people who think that it'll "make" girls promiscuous. Both nonsense.

Recently came across this interview (pdfs attached) with the good doctor. He seems to be a special kind of crazy.

In reference to the CDC, FDA and EMA:
    I asked Dr Wilson, is there a global conspiracy at work, involving all of these bodies and these individuals, who would otherwise generally be regarded as dedicating themselves to the welfare of their patients?
    ‘There is no question in my mind about that,’ he said. ‘There is absolutely no question in my mind about that.’
    And this:
    Yet according to Dr Neville Wilson, Dr Andrew Wakefield is simply ‘misunderstood’. ‘He is an honourable and ethical gastroenterologist,’ he said. ‘He was misrepresented by a group of unethical persons in the UK who should now be grovelling in the knowledge that he has been completely vindicated, and that their unscrupulous and false allegations have been exposed to the academic and wider world.’

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Matmat

Hi, I will be moving to Maynooth soon, and the baby its on its way, so need to register with a GP. I was recommended dr O'Sullivan but she doesnt take on new patients.Can you please let me know where are you registered? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I go to primacare in Maynooth, or other centres if they have no appointment.
    I seem to be the only one that pays though.

Advertisement