Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car, oil

• 03-07-2016 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey,

Just been looking at a ford focus in baldoye dealership. Its 2007 with 65 km on the clock. Wear and tear indicates mileage seems genuine.

I checked the oil after starting and couldn't see anything on the dipstick. I dipped it in and out a few times and it seemed there was no oil but after a wiggle around one time I noticed some fresh oil. Just wondering if this is because I had just started it or if this is cause for concern?

I really like the car for my budget but don't want to buy a dud?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

You should be able to dip oil at any stage (unless on a crazy incline or something). Prob not a good sign.
    Basicilly wrote: »
    Hey,

Just been looking at a ford focus in baldoye dealership. Its 2007 with 65 km on the clock. Wear and tear indicates mileage seems genuine.

I checked the oil after starting and couldn't see anything on the dipstick. I dipped it in and out a few times and it seemed there was no oil but after a wiggle around one time I noticed some fresh oil. Just wondering if this is because I had just started it or if this is cause for concern?

I really like the car for my budget but don't want to buy a dud?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to be clear, you dipped it with the engine off and a few minutes after the engine stopped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Freshly changed oil can appear very clean but should still be noticeable on the dipstick, if you have a cloth to clear if the oil should be visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you dipped it with the engine off and a few minutes after the engine stopped?

Yeah, thats it alright. Dipped it in a few times about 3/4 mins after.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

Freshly changed oil can appear very clean but should still be noticeable on the dipstick, if you have a cloth to clear if the oil should be visible.

Had a tissue to clean the dipstick and some oil certainly appeared on that

• Advertisement
Advertisement