Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitten abandoned in garden by its' mother?

• 03-07-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

Hello, I hope someone can help me.

My parents feed this stray cat now and again (don't ask why they started, they just did and they're happy to feed it as they feel it'll deter rodents.)

The cat has been away for a while.
    But over the last day or so, the cat has returned to the garden for food but this time with a kitten in tow.

He's not a newborn, he looks to be a few months old.
    The problem is that earlier today, the cat came with the kitten to the garden to feed but she climbed over the wall when she was finished and left the kitten in the garden.

The kitten was mewing and trying to follow her but he couldn't climb over the wall as it's too high.

My mother is now worried that the kitten has been left behind and what should she do?
    It's been hours now and the kitten is curled up in a ball at the bottom of the garden on his own.

My mother has left some water (and milk at times) and some sardines for it to eat but she is worried the kitten has been abandoned and doesn't know what to do.

She certainly doesn't want a kitten as a pet and she is reluctant to take the kitten into the house incase the mother cat comes back looking for him.

What should she do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just 1 kittencthat can't climb yet. I'd say she's gone for the rest of the litter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

tnegun wrote: »
    Just 1 kittencthat can't climb yet. I'd say she's gone for the rest of the litter.

So she knows where he is and she will come back? She's been gone all day and we're just feeling so sorry for the kitten on his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

do you know if the kitten climbed over the wall into your garden and did the cat carry it?

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    do you know if the kitten climbed over the wall into your garden and did the cat carry it?

He climbed down after his mother.

fussyonion wrote: »
    He climbed down after his mother.

so he should be capable of climbing back over when ready. you've left food which is good, but she might decide to wander home soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

She might also have decided that the garden is a safer place than where she was keeping him. Hopefully she should be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

also please please no milk. Cats are lactose intolerant and milk could cause diarrhea, which will cause dehydration in bad cases which can cause death.

curious to know what came of Kitty?

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    curious to know what came of Kitty?

Sorry forgot to update.
    Kitten is fine. Mother returns daily with two kittens..the one who couldnt climb is well able for the wall now.

Thanks everyone for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sorry forgot to update.
    Kitten is fine. Mother returns daily with two kittens..the one who couldnt climb is well able for the wall now.

Thanks everyone for your advice

Maybe contact a rescue and ask for help on homing the kittens and also TNR the mother as in trap, neuter & release her back to your garden as she will keep on having kittens and also the kittens will then start to reproduce if not homed & neutered and then you will have a real problem on your hands

• Advertisement
Advertisement