Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting an uninsured driver?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    You dont know he has no insurance, you have no proof??
    Perhaps he is waiting on his disc for insurance and tax?
    Gardai might have been shown this and asked him to produce in 10 days.
    Either way you are just making assumptions.

And you are making assumptions about the OP:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Wait, nobody's posted 'snitches get stitches' yet have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I have just reported my neighbour for driving around the town with no tax or insurance.. The Gardai showed up, chatted to him for 5 mins and have drove off leaving this young fella in his Civic to do whatever?

What am I missing here? Why has (seemingly) no action been taken?:mad:

Would guess the guards can't do anything unless they have proof.

But, fair to play to you for reporting the crime. I'm sure the guardai in the town will be looking out for that car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Take him off your Christmas card list as well op.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I have had a close eye on his windscreen since february

Are there any clubs locally you can join Drummer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

And you are making assumptions about the OP:rolleyes:

What assumptions would they be?

Can the OP provide evidence the car is not insured ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well done OP.

Its unfortunate that he wasn't caught on the road but hopefully he will get his comeuppance sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately the laws in this country are so leniant when it comes to this kind of thing it probably won't make a difference.

I saw a case recently where someone was banned from driving for around 15 years.

The same fella was already banned and had numerous convictions for driving without licence and insurance.

For a certain element of people convictions are of no consequence.

Hopefully he does get caught on the road and has the car impounded.

Its about the best that can be hoped for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    What assumptions would they be?

Can the OP provide evidence the car is not insured ?

Can you provide evidence it is?

He has already stated why he believes it to be uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

A lot of people on this thread condoning driving without insurance, I can't help wonder how many of you don't have any either?

I have just had to pay far too much for a renewal myself, I find it hard to believe anyone else paying up every year can be OK with others that don't.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    A lot of people on this thread condoning driving without insurance

I don't think anyone has?

EDIT: My post is probably one that you're referencing? If so, i don't go around promoting it and telling everyone 'sure you'd be better off with no insurance it's cheaper', but I do understand why some people are forced into driving without insurance. Not everything is black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

Can you provide evidence it is?

He has already stated why he believes it to be uninsured.

I dont have to provide evidence as im not making the allegation. The OP does have to have the proof. An assumption is not proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Vic_08 wrote: »
    A lot of people on this thread condoning driving without insurance, I can't help wonder how many of you don't have any either?

I have just had to pay far too much for a renewal myself, I find it hard to believe anyone else paying up every year can be OK with others that don't.

who's condoning it? i pay my insurance but if i knew of an uninsured driver next door i wouldnt give a flying fcuk tbh. its their own stupidity, let them get caught themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well I'm grateful you reported it, and I wish others did too.

The Garda may have had to give him 10 days to produce insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I thought driving an uninsured car was a crime? I thought they seize the vehicle?

A crime?!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's illegal.

Semantics...

It's illegal alright, but it is hardly a crime...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

who's condoning it? i pay my insurance but if i knew of an uninsured driver next door i wouldnt give a flying fcuk tbh. its their own stupidity, let them get caught themselves

And what if he smashes into you and it's his fault? I assure you you'll care then when you're left high and dry. Not trying to be a bollox btw, it's just uninsured drivers can and do cause accidents. Breaking the law by driving uninsured is just one side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Driving without insurance is something I don't agree with, but at the same time, for some people it's almost understandable.

I know a girl that works in a chipper, and has a young child. Needs the car for work. She has an old Focus and has been driving about 6 years. Her insurance last year was expensive she told me (I don't recall the exact figure).

I seen her name in the paper there a couple of weeks ago in the court section. She was up for driving with no insurance. Apparently this year, the cheapest renewal she could get was €6,000 (according to the newspaper article).

High-horse-brigade aside, what do you expect a person to do? Jack in the job? Of course people will drive uninsured if you put them in that position.
    What other options had this girl explored?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

mickeyk wrote: »
    And what if he smashes into you and it's his fault? I assure you you'll care then when you're left high and dry. Not trying to be a bollox btw, it's just uninsured drivers can and do cause accidents. Breaking the law by driving uninsured is just one side of it.

oh i get all that like, i just dont care. i know that sounds blunt but, i'm too lazy to report anyone, i dont care enough!

endagibson wrote: »
    What other options had this girl explored?

The only other realistic one: Jacking in the job and going on the dole.

You can start rambling about buses and cycling all day long, but it wouldn't have worked out for her. The car was/is a necessity.

As an aside, now that she's been done for the no insurance, i presume she's had the car seized? So probably on the dole now anyway.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Semantics...

You'll find the 2 normally go together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

oh i get all that like, i just dont care. i know that sounds blunt but, i'm too lazy to report anyone, i dont care enough!

But you care enough to post here that you don't care.

We all pay a levy on our insurance to pay for accidents that uninsured drivers cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Just as another way of looking at it. I was in a head-on over 20 years ago with an uninsured driver. My wife ended up in a wheelchair and we had a 4 week old baby. Anybody else that doesn't give a flying f**K, best pray you are not the one that meets this pr!ck on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bored_lad wrote: »
    If the guards don't see him driving it I can't see what they can really do.

Do you think all crimes need a Garda to witness them to be prosecuted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

But he still wasn't driving it. As far as I know, although it's a nice thing to have a car that's sitting in your drive insured incase anyone breaks in to it or burns it or such, you don't require it.

If he's got the car parked on his driveway then I don't see what the Gardai can do, really. When he's next off for a drive, ask the Gardai then.

Driving without insurance is something I don't agree with, but at the same time, for some people it's almost understandable.

I know a girl that works in a chipper, and has a young child. Needs the car for work. She has an old Focus and has been driving about 6 years. Her insurance last year was expensive she told me (I don't recall the exact figure).

(I mention the young child, not as a sympathy garnerer, but moreso because people realise how expensive a child is to have).

I seen her name in the paper there a couple of weeks ago in the court section. She was up for driving with no insurance. Apparently this year, the cheapest renewal she could get was €6,000 (according to the newspaper article).

High-horse-brigade aside, what do you expect a person to do? Jack in the job? Of course people will drive uninsured if you put them in that position.

Not saying that's the case with the OP, as he reckons his 'friend' was bragging and showing off about it, but I wouldn't be one to report someone for it, unless they were actually driving like a clown.

Your neighbour might have been showing off and bragging, but it could well be a front. It's entirely possible he's actually quite embarrassed about it and trying to laugh it off. People who can afford insurance generally won't mind paying for it.
    Pretty sure she could get a car with cheaper insurance

Chipper insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Stoolbend wrote: »
    But you care enough to post here that you don't care.

We all pay a levy on our insurance to pay for accidents that uninsured drivers cause.

This would be my issue with uninsured drivers. We thankfully have a system in this country to compensate victims of uninsured drivers. My own sister benefitted from it when her car was wrote off while parked outside the house by a stolen car. The stolen cars front bumper cam off in the crash so she had the registration plate.
    However the only people that fund this scheme are insured drivers through a levy on every insurance policy. So while some peoples attitude is 'ah let them on, none of my business', they are costing the honest motorist real money every year.

Tigger wrote: »
    Pretty sure she could get a car with cheaper insurance

I'm pretty sure she looked into that by running the regs of two or three other smaller engined cars by her insurance company.

Generally if someone can't afford insurance, they can't affored to upgrade to a newer car to get cheaper insurance either (if thats what you're hinting at).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

grogi wrote: »

Listen lads (and I presume you're all lads) Driving without insurance, drunk driving, burglary, rape, pedophilia... anything! they are all crimes! You shouldn't be hiding them, and you should report them.

We're a grown ups now, not an "us against the state" childlike society. We need to move on from that post colonial attitude. We have a fairly limited Garda enforcement that relies heavily on intel and info from communities and civilians.

"It's illegal but not a crime" doesn't cut it anymore. Fearing or respecting youre neighbour for criminality isn't acceptable. If your fearful, there's ways around reporting, talk to your local super.

If you respect your neighbour for criminality you're a lacky. A ghillie, a fool that lets your neighbour lord over you and basically dip your wallet.

Give him your pin number. Or.. grow up and report him/her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement