Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting an uninsured driver?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Listen lads (and I presume you're all lads)
    That's sexism!
    "It's illegal but not a crime" doesn't cut it anymore. Fearing or respecting you're neighbour for criminality isn't acceptable. If your fearful, there's ways around reporting, talk to your local super.

I've got it wrong, but you got me wrong as well. I never have endorsed nor intend to ever endorse breaking the law. We're on the same side here - you can check that in a similar thread about reporting VRT-evaders.

I was just a semantics dispute and I have been proven wrong. Lesson learned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Tigger wrote:
    Do you think all crimes need a Garda to witness them to be prosecuted

Ha. They don't have to witness it but they do need evidence, which there is none

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Subscribing to this beauty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

grogi wrote: »
    That's sexism!

Yeah, but I'm right.
    I've got it wrong, but you got me wrong as well. I never have endorsed nor intend to ever endorse breaking the law. We're on the same side here - you can check that in a similar thread about reporting VRT-evaders.
    I was just a semantics dispute and I have been proven wrong. Lesson learned.

Saying things like "It's illegal alright, but it is hardly a crime..." is ridiculous.

Uninsured drivers destroy lives. They slow down the whole process, make it 500% more painful for injured or bereaved families and costs everyone else that pays insurance millions.

It's 100% a shltty, scummy crime.

... called around and knocked on his door and said "..what's the craic with the pigs being over earlier man?" trying to be cool with him and he told me "the gards tried doing me for no insurance but I told them I haven't drove the car in months and that its for sale... ****ing dopes"

There ya go folks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

... called around and knocked on his door and said "..what's the craic with the pigs being over earlier man?" trying to be cool with him and he told me "the gards tried doing me for no insurance but I told them I haven't drove the car in months and that its for sale... ****ing dopes"

There ya go folks...

Pigs? charming fella aren't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There ya go folks...

You'd be wise not to go and play that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

There ya go folks...

I hope for your sake he's not a boardsie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    Pigs? charming fella aren't you.

I think that might have been the words his neighbour had chosen to use.

Charming indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

There ya go folks...

With all due respect, unless they see him driving, they won't chance a court appearance as the judge would likely throw it out citing a lack of evidence. TBH that would be a waste of everyones time.

But, for all this guys bravado, he knows now that his cards are marked. If he is stupid, he will keep driving uninsured and get nicked by the same cops he lied to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

RustyNut wrote: »
    How do you know he is not covered by insurance? What evidence apart from the word of a busy body do the Guards have that he was actually driving anything?

You must have been around in the days of the Peelers and transportation to Van Diemens Land on the word of informers fo stealing sheep. Well I have news for you, Rip van Winkle. We have our own cops now, here to look after us.

He said "all guards are only thick GAA failures anyway, what are they going to do? They are too busy stopping oil and water protesters to be stopping people for tax and insurance"

I may of underestimated him

I think that might have been the words his neighbour had chosen to use.

Charming indeed.

No they were his words.
    Typical attitude, no respect for gardai but wants them to jump to his tune.

No they were his words.
    Typical attitude, no respect for gardai but wants them to jump to his tune.

I should clarify, I referred to them as pigs to speak to this clown on his level. I have the utmost respect for the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

OP desperately needs approval folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Some folk will still drive uninsured if the cost is too high, just like it is now. Robbery I agree, but I myself have a choice now to either pay double the cost of insurance this month, or just sell the car. I cannot afford a double this year and it is unjust to charge me this, but I will sell the car if the cost is high this month from all insurance companies, as there is no way I would risk driving my car without insurance, as who knows what can happen one day/night driving.

It's a huge risk driving without insurance, and I'd rather sell the car and not have the problem of looking out for checkpoints or even worse being involved in a major car accident.

Looks like it will be the bus if this government doesn't get this insurance crowd under control. Robbing bastards as they are :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You're all arguing about some single case of someone driving uninsured, while in the mean time, on average probably more than ever 1 on 20 drivers currently the road are uninsured.

It's estimated 6% driver drive uninsured here in Ireland.

So just look around, and imagine plenty of those people you see are uninsured.

Crazy insurance prices, crazy insurance system, and total lack of enforcement, and no wonder that's a fact.

I know personally plenty of people who drive uninsured daily, some of the for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OP - was the car on the road or in the driveway?

IF on the road, he needs insurance.

Congrats btw. :)

You pull-up to a checkpoint and you have no insurance or tax, the only outcome is that the gaurds will take your car from you, then you get the bus home. I wonder if there is many folk out there that were let drive away by the guards ? I thought they all just take your car on the spot having no insurance.

You pull-up to a checkpoint and you have no insurance or tax, the only outcome is that the gaurds will take your car from you, then you get the bus home. I wonder if there is many folk out there that were let drive away by the guards ? I thought they all just take your car on the spot having no insurance.

No they are never going to let you drive away uninsured, they have to see you driving to have the proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

CiniO wrote: »
    Crazy insurance prices, crazy insurance system, and total lack of enforcement, and no wonder that's a fact.

The solution lies in political action, not in people breaching the law and thus making insurance doubly expensive for law-abiding citizens.
    Yes, there is a problem in that insurers seem to want to insure everything except risk.
    But the greater problem arises in allowing private interests to profit from what is a legal requirement, thus depriving the customer of all bargaining power, as the insurer has the customer over a barrel.
    The solution lies in adding a tax to the price of fuel to cover insurance. You ask: what about loading bad driving? Leave that in the hands of the courts. If you are convicted of careless driving, impose a mandatory fine, large enough to cover any loading that an insurer might now impose, and disqualify the driver until the fine is paid.
    It can't be done, of course. Why? Because government, encouraged by Europe, (though needing no such encouragement,) will not interfere with private enterprise. It's different, though, when banks and bond-holders need protection.

They give you 10 days to produce. You could tell them you insured it over the phone that morning and haven't got the disc yet. They could phone the insurance company, but I don't know if the data protection act would apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

28 year old, driving since I was 17 on own policy, full licence since 19, no claims and no points, driving a ****ty bora, 1.9tdi and 1k a year insurance (I've shopped around).
    Report the bustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

pablo128 wrote: »
    They give you 10 days to produce. You could tell them you insured it over the phone that morning and haven't got the disc yet. They could phone the insurance company, but I don't know if the data protection act would apply?

Right, but this doesn't fare well if you are in an accident. They give you ten days to produce your insurance disc/details, but that just gives a person 10 days to get the cash to pay for it in this small time-frame if caught, or not turn up within the ten days to the station and end up in court with a huge fine and penalty points, and maybe a ban.

It's too much hassle and cash in regards to getting caught. It's only a matter of time before the folks that are uninsured are stuck with no turnaround and have to face the checkpoint. It never lasts forever, folk get caught all the time. Is it worth it ? you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Right, but this doesn't fare well if you are in an accident. They give you ten days to produce your insurance disc/details, but that just gives a person 10 days to get the cash to pay for it in this small time-frame if caught, or not turn up within the ten days to the station and end up in court with a huge fine and penalty points, and maybe a ban.

It's too much hassle and cash in regards to getting caught. It's only a matter of time before the folks that are uninsured are stuck with no turnaround and have to face the checkpoint. It never lasts forever, folk get caught all the time. Is it worth it ? you decide.

The person wont be insured at the time of the offence, so getting it after the checkpoint is still uninsured. You cant produce what you didnt have.

These insurance companies 38 I think or more are just pricing people out of the market. If the car insurance was 'just' and reasonable, you would have more folk getting insured, but at this time the greed from these companies has gone over the top and needs to be dealt with.

A good independent investigation into these companies 'if possible' would suffice. Maybe RTE investigations team can shed some light on this if they were interested to get themselves involved in the deep workings of their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

pablo128 wrote: »
    With all due respect, unless they see him driving, they won't chance a court appearance as the judge would likely throw it out citing a lack of evidence. TBH that would be a waste of everyones time.

But, for all this guys bravado, he knows now that his cards are marked. If he is stupid, he will keep driving uninsured and get nicked by the same cops he lied to.

Not sure if there are any ANPR garda cars in your area. If there are he could easily get caught. Alternatively you could give the guards a call yourself next time the car moves.

• Advertisement

But how would a garda prove he was a garda over the phone to an insurance company? That's what I was getting at.

The person wont be insured at the time of the offence, so getting it after the checkpoint is still uninsured. You cant produce what you didnt have.
    I agree with the above. The point I was making is that it is possible to be stopped with no insurance and simply lie to the garda and he will let you drive away with 10 days to produce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement