Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting an uninsured driver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

These insurance companies 38 I think or more are just pricing people out of the market. If the car insurance was 'just' and reasonable, you would have more folk getting insured, but at this time the greed from these companies has gone over the top and needs to be dealt with.

A good independent investigation into these companies 'if possible' would suffice. Maybe RTE investigations team can shed some light on this if they were interested to get themselves involved in the deep workings of their systems.

Bollocks.

There is an element of people that have always driven uninsured and companies could be selling it at €50 a policy and they still wouldn't pay for.

Its just a handy stick to beat insurers with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

pablo128 wrote: »
    But how would a garda prove he was a garda over the phone to an insurance company? That's what I was getting at.

I agree with the above. The point I was making is that it is possible to be stopped with no insurance and simply lie to the garda and he will let you drive away with 10 days to produce.
    Insurance companies deal with gardai on the phone daily. It's a non issue.
    Yes it's possible but gardai can detain the car if they suspect there is no insurance so the driver admits to it or lies either way it's down to the driver to provide proof or walk home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    Insurance companies deal with gardai on the phone daily. It's a non issue.
    Yes it's possible but gardai can detain the car if they suspect there is no insurance so the driver admits to it or lies either way it's down to the driver to provide proof or walk home.

But the driver is given 10 days to provide proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

The only other realistic one: Jacking in the job and going on the dole.

You can start rambling about buses and cycling all day long, but it wouldn't have worked out for her. The car was/is a necessity.

As an aside, now that she's been done for the no insurance, i presume she's had the car seized? So probably on the dole now anyway.
    Exactly. Probably hadn't given serious consideration to any other option. You hear this all the time, the lack of responsibility. When someone says "I was forced to..." they generally mean "I decided to...". When they say that the buses don't suit because they're late, unreliable, take too long etc. they mean that the car is more convenient to them. Nothing wrong with that, trading money for time, as long as it's done properly. However, if they're shirking their responsibilities, transferring financial and possibly safety risks onto others who didn't consent to take on that risk, then it's a problem.

I included safety risk above because I suspect that someone who has neglected to pay for insurance may also be neglecting to maintain their car correctly.

Easy to deal with.

First offence: fine, crush car.
    Second offence: same as above, add a sprinkling of jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

But the driver is given 10 days to provide proof.
    Not if the guard suspects there is no insurance, it will be detained until the driver produces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This topic is a reminder to everyone that....

6dd8139d7037b498af25d3620821ab031dced03297c351d046e598aadda49111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

They give you 10 days to produce. You could tell them you insured it over the phone that morning and haven't got the disc yet. They could phone the insurance company, but I don't know if the data protection act would apply?

I was once stopped the day after buying a car. Got stopped at a checkpoint, told the Garda the story and he questioned how I could prove it was insured. Told him I'd ring my insurance company, so I did that and handed him the phone to talk to them and that was it.

28 year old, driving since I was 17 on own policy, full licence since 19, no claims and no points, driving a ****ty bora, 1.9tdi and 1k a year insurance (I've shopped around).
    Report the bustard.

Obviously didn't shop around enough as I'm paying 200 less then that at 22 :D

I wouldn't have bothered reporting him. No good luck can come of it. He sounds like a dope and will get his own comeuppance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

op you've done your part now, sorry the garda didnt take his car so you could have an intense **** into the curtains. :rolleyes:
    I won't lie, I was literally peering out my curtains with a stonking boner :P
    Ok, lovebirds keep your fantasies to yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

28 year old, driving since I was 17 on own policy, full licence since 19, no claims and no points, driving a ****ty bora, 1.9tdi and 1k a year insurance (I've shopped around).
    Report the bustard.

bora is probably the issue there - felters car of choice at the moment as far as i can tell.

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Not sure if there are any ANPR garda cars in your area. If there are he could easily get caught. Alternatively you could give the guards a call yourself next time the car moves.

Anecdotally, I understand there are only about 10 ANPR cars in the whole country - so you would be unlucky to meet one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They would be better off with someone in the passenger seat looking up reg numbers on cartell.

But what's the point when not following the rules is easier than following them. You buy a car for 600 euro on donedeal and drive it for 6 years before you get caught and pay a 500 euro fine and maybe have the car taken from you.

as for the penalties for driving without NCT, INS and NCT - a fella parks opposite my house everyday - only noticed him originally as his parking there disrupts the traffic flow on the narrow road - anyway, all 3 discs out of date, nct and tax records confirm this so i guess INS also out. He's been parking there for a few years. He had a different car previous, same deal, nothing current on the windscreen. ****b0x motors so i guess when hes caught and the car is taken, he gets another for a few bob and off he goes again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

But what's the point when not following the rules is easier than following them. You buy a car for 600 euro on donedeal and drive it for 6 years before you get caught and pay a 500 euro fine and maybe have the car taken from you.

Exactly this. It's cheaper to chance it and if you get caught the fine is only a fraction of what the insurance would have cost. You could get caught 3 or 4 times before any serious punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Anecdotally, I understand there are only about 10 ANPR cars in the whole country - so you would be unlucky to meet one.

Really? They should have more - makes for great telly - próistí mótarbhealach my google translate tells me - motorway cops for the non-gealgoirs.

''Step away from the vee-hickle''

''I'm mindin the car for a fella''

The possibilities are endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do the Garda not have to give him 10 days to produce his insurance before taking him to court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

oh i get all that like, i just dont care. i know that sounds blunt but, i'm too lazy to report anyone, i dont care enough!

Yet you cared enough that the OP reported this fool to come in and make a snide comment about him **** into the curtains? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Thats definitely not true. Theres around 10 in Drogheda alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

millington wrote: »
    It says here

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=106&Lang=1

that they have 100 of them.

On the other hand they decommissioned the insurance aspect of it due to problems :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-forced-to-pull-technology-that-detects-uninsured-drivers-1.2198863

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It says here

On the other hand they decommissioned the insurance aspect of it due to problems :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-forced-to-pull-technology-that-detects-uninsured-drivers-1.2198863

That's what I don't get, why?!

I guess the insurance database is incomplete. In such case why not to ask (send letter) the registered owners of cars seen on the road and suspected of being uninsured to present insurance at garda station. If presented indeed, override the insurance database with the expiration of such insurance, so person is not harassed again.

On the other hand, if someone drives without insurance they will not have tax for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    I don't think Ireland has a national insurance data base like the UK for doing checks

So instead of solving the problem by implementing one, it is swept under the carpet... :(

That's not a bloody difficult task, seriously. It's a simple information system with very static data and some constrains on response time. There is absolutely no requirement for it to keep sensitive personal information, so even if it gets hacked, no real harm done.

Three college students could do that over one term using open source tools and platform... Hosting it might be a bigger issue - as I guess the government would not like to have it as part of AWS or Azure...

It says here

100 is a lot more than 10! Also I'd say that information is fairly old. I think nearly all new Traffic Corps cars have it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

grogi wrote: »
    So instead of solving the problem by implementing one, it is swept under the carpet... :(

That's not a bloody difficult task, seriously. It's a simple information system with very static data and some constrains on response time. There is absolutely no requirement for it to keep sensitive personal information, so even if it gets hacked, no real harm done.

Three college students could do that over one term using open source tools and platform... Hosting it might be a bigger issue - as I guess the government would not like to have it as part of AWS or Azure...
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-drop-vehicle-insurance-database-after-errors-328566.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Bollocks.

There is an element of people that have always driven uninsured and companies could be selling it at €50 a policy and they still wouldn't pay for.

Its just a handy stick to beat insurers with.

And beat them we will. Like I said, an investigation needs to be arranged into these robbing bastards, the sooner the better.

It says here

Its worded strangely - its not explicitly saying there are 100 cars with ANPR tech on board - but regardless, I just could not believe its even close to 100. Even if you gave the 4 biggest cities 25 between them and allowed the other 75 to be stationed in the next sized populated towns, you would have an ANPR car in the likes of Roscommon, Carrick on Suir and Bandon. I doubt it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

Its probably only the Traffic Corps cars that have them (there couldn't be 100 cars in the traffic corps) - the Hyundai wagon squad cars that are knocking about probably don't even have air con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

And beat them we will. Like I said, an investigation needs to be arranged into these robbing bastards, the sooner the better.

Indeed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why would you want an investigation given that you've deemed them guilty already?

endagibson wrote: »
    Exactly. Probably hadn't given serious consideration to any other option. You hear this all the time, the lack of responsibility. When someone says "I was forced to..." they generally mean "I decided to...". When they say that the buses don't suit because they're late, unreliable, take too long etc. they mean that the car is more convenient to them. Nothing wrong with that, trading money for time, as long as it's done properly. However, if they're shirking their responsibilities, transferring financial and possibly safety risks onto others who didn't consent to take on that risk, then it's a problem.

Nope.

She works/worked in a chipper. She works until after midnight. There is no bus.

You can't just quote her insurance at 6k and she's at fault for everything. The insurance company effectively made her unemployed.

Would you drive uninsured in those circumstances? I would.

It needs regulation, fast.

millington wrote: »

There's only one in Drogheda, unless things have changed drastically in the last few months.

It's the silver one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

kbannon wrote: »
    Why would you want an investigation given that you've deemed them guilty already?

Because they are guilty. Charging me 3 times the price for insurance, no claims and no penalty points, it's quite obvious they are ripping folks off, hence investigation as to why they are charging folk hundreds more every year. Criminals is what they are.

There is two or three people on this thread that obviously work in insurance, so I can see why you folk are annoyed by my comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement