Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bichon Barking

• 03-07-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi - I'm a bit desperate here. I have a year and a half male bichon who barks at anything and everything. He barks when we are at work (not constantly) but goes into barking fits that can last anywhere to a minute to five minutes, and barks when me and my husband are home too watching tv, cooking, anything. We have a low window in the front room that he can put his paws up on. He barks at cars driving by, people walking by, other people walking dogs walking by..literally anything. So I did my research into how to stop. He doesn't have separation anxiety as both my husband and I spend ample time with him and is only alone on average for 4-5 hours a day. He goes for a walk in the morning, walk in the afternoon and again at night, so he's getting plenty of exercise. In order to make sure he's socialized, we go on walks and come across other dogs and people and children. He won't go after these people but interacts with all people, dogs etc with curiosity and interest and is always friendly. He is neutered as well. When he begins barking, we have tried bringing his paws off the shelf and saying "no" and "quiet" with a finger raised as a signal - this works some of the time but not most. We have used the command "leave it" which also works some of the time. We have taught the command "out" to leave the room which also works some of the time. We also do positive reinforcement of praising with words and treats when he is quiet. However, even with these small success, when he gets really going nothing will stop him. It's getting to the point where I am not enjoying my dog, not being able to relax in the living room, and it's starting to really effect the atmosphere in the house as barking can really set our teeth on edge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Hi - I'm a bit desperate here. I have a year and a half male bichon who barks at anything and everything. He barks when we are at work (not constantly) but goes into barking fits that can last anywhere to a minute to five minutes, and barks when me and my husband are home too watching tv, cooking, anything. We have a low window in the front room that he can put his paws up on. He barks at cars driving by, people walking by, other people walking dogs walking by..literally anything. So I did my research into how to stop. He doesn't have separation anxiety as both my husband and I spend ample time with him and is only alone on average for 4-5 hours a day. He goes for a walk in the morning, walk in the afternoon and again at night, so he's getting plenty of exercise. In order to make sure he's socialized, we go on walks and come across other dogs and people and children. He won't go after these people but interacts with all people, dogs etc with curiosity and interest and is always friendly. He is neutered as well. When he begins barking, we have tried bringing his paws off the shelf and saying "no" and "quiet" with a finger raised as a signal - this works some of the time but not most. We have used the command "leave it" which also works some of the time. We have taught the command "out" to leave the room which also works some of the time. We also do positive reinforcement of praising with words and treats when he is quiet. However, even with these small success, when he gets really going nothing will stop him. It's getting to the point where I am not enjoying my dog, not being able to relax in the living room, and it's starting to really effect the atmosphere in the house as barking can really set our teeth on edge.

We had a similar issue with our JRT. Just like yourselves we had ruled out lack of exercise and separation anxiety. We got a professional down to our house who observed him and introduced us to clicker training which has worked fantastically for us. He absolutely loves the clicker, he know it means hotdogs and this is of greater value to him than barking at neighbours etc. There's a lot of work involved with using the clicker, even before you begin using it to stop the barking but it's well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

You're inadvertantly rewarding his barking by giving him attention, even though it's negative attention. I'd crate train him so he physically can't look out of the window, he needs to learn to settle down, at the moment he's on guard duty all the time and is seeing all these exciting and potential threats walk past your house and he's doing what he thinks he should be doing!

I'd get him used to a crate, and in the evening when he's in it reward his calm behaviour with a toy or a good meaty bone from your butchers, something he likes that will keep him busy and be the cue then to settle. I'd put the crate in a quiet corner so he has his own little space, at a year and a half he's still young and will most likely grow out of his yappy phase if you nip it in the bud now. If in doubt get a reputable dog trainer in, well worth it, good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Stigura

There's one of those in town. Lives in a house on a corner that I go round. Cracks me up!

Sits in its window and, as soon as I appear, passing by, it absolutely Explodes! Goes ballistic; Leaping around, shouting and snapping. Foaming at the mouth.

The other day, it was in the side yard. Off it went! Screaming and snarling. Trying to get at me through the gap beside the gate. Absolute frenzy.

Now, I absolutely worship Dogs and ~ while a BF wouldn't exactly be my cup of tea ~ I love this ones spirit. I'm sure it would go at my ankle like a little, furry, white chain saw, if it had a chance.

Funny thing is; It's only me. I've made enquiries. The little wreck never responds to anyone else like that. Must be some aspect of my appearance. It certainly can't smell me, from behind that sealed unit window.

No earthly use to you, OP. Just mentioning it for another angle on the breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I seem to be the only person I know who this doesn't bother. I think when they go bonkers barking its hilarious and cute. Growing up we had a barker. I grew so used to it I couldn't sleep without a few barks a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

OP, I think a dog behaviorist would be a good option. As far as I can see, he is indeed on constant guard duty. But only a behaviorist who sees him will be able to say for sure. I wouldn't recommend going with a crate, he'll just have another reason to bark. Now, the on thing you're mentioning is the window...how about a blind to block his view to the outside world? just to see if that works/makes a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

My small dog likes to communicate happily but loudly with people and animals outside one of our front windows. She sits on the window ledge and would bark for ages if allowed. Depending on what she sees she will come away when called. If she's being a bit of a pest, we either distract her with play, toys or treats or shut the door to that room. Her barking sets off the window sensors for the alarm when we're out so we took some time to crate train her. She's content enough in her crate for a bit if we're home and protests a bit if she realises we're going out and she's being left behind but stops after a minute or two.

TLDR: Recall, distract, block access, crate train.

Advertisement