Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFW 2016

Options
  • 03-07-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

In training for GFW. Confident enough of bike stage since I've done w200 this year. Back running and doing ok. From reading it seems that Croagh Patrick can be the critical point for mostrich so hill running is my main focus.

Ran/half run up bray head today in a 8k loop.

Basically Im wondering is bray head in any way similar to Croagh Patrick? Obviously I know it's a longer run but the basic terrain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I've done S2S quite a few times, but not GFW. I think its about 700m to the summit of CP - that took just under an hour to the top - so not sure what Bray head is? I have never ran up - not sure anyone does - but I built a lot of lunges and squats into my training. It wasn't nearly enough as the cycle nearly broke me, although I managed it without having to get off going up those never ending little climbs around the back of CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Cosmo No 5 wrote: »
    In training for GFW. Confident enough of bike stage since I've done w200 this year. Back running and doing ok. From reading it seems that Croagh Patrick can be the critical point for mostrich so hill running is my main focus.

Basically Im wondering is bray head in any way similar to Croagh Patrick? Obviously I know it's a longer run but the basic terrain.

The top (cone) of the sugarloaf is a very good match for the difficult part of the terraine on CP, and a good match for steepness too. Doing lots of training on this will have you well prepared for CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cosmo No 5 wrote: »

As Enduro says the cone section of the Sugar Loaf is similar to the top section of CP. The lower half of CP is rough boggy terrain, quite steep in sections. Many Wicklow mountains will give you a similar feel. Just run down about 10m to the left of the path on Sorrell Hill/Tonleegee/Scarr/Brockagh/Many many other open mountain hills in Wicklow.
    The other reason CP is so difficult is that it comes near the end of the race so good endurance will make it easier.
    Best of lulck and enjoy the training.

The biking in this race is relatively easy, it's more about the running then the cycling (assuming your cycling is OK). There's loads of running.

Advertisement