Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent shed for Garden Workshop

Options
  • 03-07-2016 9:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So iv been looking around for a decent shed to use as a workshop at home. thinking something in the region of 10 foot by 20 foot. hoping to spend somewhere in the region of 2 grand all in. For ease of installation hoping to not have to put down a concrete base. Anyone any recommendations? Thinking steel as maintenance free and better for security but Iv concerns about condensation given power tools and gear Id be storing in it for work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

dbagman wrote: »
    So iv been looking around for a decent shed to use as a workshop at home. thinking something in the region of 10 foot by 20 foot. hoping to spend somewhere in the region of 2 grand all in. For ease of installation hoping to not have to put down a concrete base. Anyone any recommendations? Thinking steel as maintenance free and better for security but Iv concerns about condensation given power tools and gear Id be storing in it for work.

Doubt you will come near that size for 2k and a steel shed would require a concrete base which would cost 600 -800 ish if your lucky....steel sheds that are not insulated have a anti condensation coating to prevent...you will also have to run power to it etc..... sorry for pissing on your parade :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'd agree, if you're going to spend time in it as a workshop, spending money on a decent foundation and shed are necessary. I do some woodturning in a shed on blocks and wish I'd done the shed right first time. It's not something you can't get over, it just irks, and restricts the use of it a little!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

fox0512 wrote:
    Doubt you will come near that size for 2k and a steel shed would require a concrete base which would cost 600 -800 ish if your lucky....steel sheds that are not insulated have a anti condensation coating to prevent...you will also have to run power to it etc..... sorry for pissing on your parade

I was talking a price for shed only. Was hoping to avoid a concrete base due to work involved but can do it myself if needs be. But 800 quid for one?? Dunno where youre going with that. Bout 300 for concrete. And I'm an electrician so power won't be a problem. Sorry for mopping up your piss
    Prenderb wrote:
    I'd agree, if you're going to spend time in it as a workshop, spending money on a decent foundation and shed are necessary. I do some woodturning in a shed on blocks and wish I'd done the shed right first time. It's not something you can't get over, it just irks, and restricts the use of it a little!
    How does it restrict and annoy you if you don't mind me asking?? For what I want it for I can't see the difference to be honest. Besides less hassel in installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

I was talking a price for shed only. Was hoping to avoid a concrete base due to work involved but can do it myself if needs be. But 800 quid for one?? Dunno where youre going with that. Bout 300 for concrete. And I'm an electrician so power won't be a problem. Sorry for mopping up your piss

How does it restrict and annoy you if you don't mind me asking?? For what I want it for I can't see the difference to be honest. Besides less hassel in installation.

Where im going is ive been in this business for 30 years...you might get concrete for 300 but you will have to strip the sod to lay stone under base, then when thats done you will have to build a timber frame from 9x2 at 20 x 14 rebated to allow sides of shed 50mm below finish floor level....when thats done you need more stone/grit to finish 5/6" under frame...if you dont have a wacker to compress stone you will have to hire one...then you need damp course under concrete....if you dont have a mini digger you will have to pay someone plus stone + timber .... if you can find anyone selling steel sheds at 2k for that size let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Because it's on blocks,the floor isn't as solid as I'd like, and it's a little too high. A good foundation will add to the solidity, so you can put heavier furniture/equipment into it. If you take up woodworking and want to buy machinery (lathe, table saws etc) for example, a solid floor will really help out. Perhaps the steel shed's floor you get on a block foundation would do the trick, I'm not sure, but it's something I'd definitely do differently again.

• Advertisement

fox0512 wrote:
    Where im going is ive been in this business for 30 years...you might get concrete for 300 but you will have to strip the sod to lay stone under base, then when thats done you will have to build a timber frame from 9x2 at 20 x 14 rebated to allow sides of shed 50mm below finish floor level....when thats done you need more stone/grit to finish 5/6" under frame...if you dont have a wacker to compress stone you will have to hire one...then you need damp course under concrete....if you dont have a mini digger you will have to pay someone plus stone + timber .... if you can find anyone selling steel sheds at 2k for that size let me know

I'm aware of the work involved,which is why I'd rather avoid it. A quick Google search or a look on done deal and you'll find sheds at that price. Less again if you're willing to go steel cladding over a timber frame. I was just looking for reccomodations for companies more so than anything. There's plenty of them out there. Quality is another thing though. Wanted to make sure I was getting a decent product for the cash involved. But thanks for your input.

Prenderb wrote:
    Because it's on blocks,the floor isn't as solid as I'd like, and it's a little too high. A good foundation will add to the solidity, so you can put heavier furniture/equipment into it. If you take up woodworking and want to buy machinery (lathe, table saws etc) for example, a solid floor will really help out. Perhaps the steel shed's floor you get on a block foundation would do the trick, I'm not sure, but it's something I'd definitely do differently again.

To be honest I was thinking of paving slabs over blocks. Wouldn't be as high and I'd cover the entire base with them so hopefully would solidify the floor?? Make a difference do you think?

Advertisement