Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy 2 mo old

Options
  • 03-07-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

My newborn is 2 months + 1 wk old. She's been terribly windy since birth. For the 1st 2 months of her life she had nothing but breastmilk. Lying down feeding was disastrous & she tossed &turned, grunted +groaned all night. Now I'm combination feeding her so she gets 6oz normal Aptamil before bed. There's no point putting her to sleep til every bit of wind has been gotten out of her as she won't settle so the whole putting her to bed takes at least an hour of feeding & burping. On the formula she is now sleeping for a 3 hr stretch then waking for another 6oz bottle. That night feed takes 1-2 hours as well due to the winding, and burps don't come properly up unless I get out of bed & walk around with her, or sometimes I put her in the swinging chair for 20mins with the soother. An example of a night with her: start feeding 9pm, settled asleep by 11pm, wakes at 2am, back asleep again at 3am, wakes again at 5am, back asleep by 6am, wakes at 7:30.

I'm worn out from cumulative lack of sleep as I had insomnia during pregnancy so it's nearly a year since I had a full night's sleep. I'd give my right arm for even just one 5 hour stretch, or even a 4 hour one consistently.
    She is on Zantac drops for mild reflux which are working well. She's a content baby in general & easy to manage during the day.
    I just feel that at over 2months old now & getting big bottles of formula at night I should be getting more than 3 hour & 2 hour stretches! The 2 hour ones particularly baffle me after 6oz of formula!

I'm bringing her for cranio sacral, and just went out & bought Dr Brown's bottles today so am trying that tonight. Any advice about night time routine for windy babies??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lucuma, I know we've discussed this :-)
    So my baba is now 13 weeks and wind is driving her nuts.It really disturbs her sleep BUT she is now sleeping through the night.But the wind has become a big problem in the day, really disturbs her naps.She brings up wind well, but gas downwards is a disaster.It can keep her awake all day.We have now moved to Dr brown bottles and she's on Aptamil amd Infacol drops.If things are really bad , I give her some gripe water to help her out.

My mother reckons her suck is a bit funny amd she's sucking in wind.Maybe, but I cam't change that. She's a bit better than she was -in that she can sleep in her bed at night on her back, and not on her stomach on me-but she's fairly grunty.I find turning her on either side and her tummy helps the wind out.

At this point I'm beginning to wonder is there some sort of allergy that I'm missing.But there's no signs of anything else.I've heard cow's milk protein allergy can cause very bad wind, but she's very content otherwise amd none of the other signs of it are there.I see-saw between it'a an allergy and it's just her age, she'll grow out of it.I've done craniosacral therapy and there was nothing wrong-the woman said she was perfect and discharged her after two sessions.I've mentioned it to GP, nurse evryone and they all just shrugged and said it's normal.

I know I'm not being much help here, but I do see slow slow improvements (definitely since we introduced new bottles and bigger teats), so I'm hoping it's just her age.Do you wind every two ounces of the bottle?And for winding try sitting her upright,or on your shoulder,or tilting her back and forward two or three times (sitting), then patting her back sitting upright, or lying her on her tummy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I had a windy relux baby. A combination of Dr Brown's bottles, gaviscon, infacol, sitting up for 20min after a feed all somewhat helped. Oh and warm bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

My son was exactly the same, an absolute disaster with wind. He was a nightmare up until age 1. Even on exclusive breastmilk he still had a really sensitive tummy and at 18m he's still got a touch of it.

So what I'd recommend, and what got me through it is the following:

Woodward's Gripe water. The only thing that actually got the burps up. I'd give straight after a feed and there'd be burps after 3 or 4 mins. It has to be that brand, tried everything else and they paled in comparison. Some chemists down here do it, else you can buy online or get from the north. We still use it regularly.

Gym ball: Gentle bouncing with baby upright in arms both helps bring up the wind and settles them. In fact my son insists on the 'boh' at nap time too ;)

You could also try slightly elevating the top of the cot, only an inch. You know how lying them completely flat usually wakes them if they have the smallest bubble.

I also tried cutting out windy foods myself like onions and garlic but I'm not sure it made a difference.

Hang in there, it'll pass. I know how tough it can be.

Edited to add, have you had your child checked for a tongue tie? My son had a grade 4 posterior tie and definitely contributed to the wind and there was a slight improvement after it was snipped. Make sure to go to a proper breastfeeding consultant and not a midwife or her nurse!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    My mother reckons her suck is a bit funny amd she's sucking in wind.Maybe, but I cam't change that.

Could be a tongue tie? Have you had her checked by a breastfeeding consultant or cuidiu/LLL person?

Advertisement