Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another smash on the hartstown road

Options
  • 03-07-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭

Another smash this time outside the secondary school in hartstown. Car was wrapped around the tree and the driver is in a bad way.

Road is currently closed off and emergency services are in attendance.

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE URGENTLY.

Where's our local reps? Here's hoping it's not another ribbon around a tree on that road and that the driver will come out okay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Is this at Harristown or Hartstowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Pat Dunne wrote:
    Is this at Harristown or Hartstowns?

Sorry stupid autocorrect on android. It's outside hartstown secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hope those involved arent seriously hurt, but what would you like to be done about it?

Its a local main road like thousands of others that needs to be relatively free of traffic calming to allow for buses and emergency vehicles. The risk factor here is drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I hope those involved arent seriously hurt, but what would you like to be done about it?

Its a local main road like thousands of others that needs to be relatively free of traffic calming to allow for buses and emergency vehicles. The risk factor here is drivers

I agree, the roundabout and traffic lights at the school and Topaz do help reduce the risk of accidents during the day. so I don't know what else could be done to improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Road still closed as of an hour ago which is not a good sign.

There was a good speed camera presence after the last incident but that seems to have gone. First solution is ramps, ideally the big ones they have at junctions so not to affect buses too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A car doesn't wrap around a tree on a dry summers day unless someone was driving like an absolute tool.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's likely that someone was very seriously injured or worse this evening, and it's also possible that some of their friends or family could read this thread. So with that in mind, a little sensitivity and less name-calling would be appreciated. Thanks.

Myself, my gf and her younger bro (6) were walking back from Centra Huntstown Road, and there was two cars essentially chasing after each other. Bear in mind this was 8.15pm on a Sunday evening with dozens of groups of kids and that floating around. Absolutely madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Myself, my gf and her younger bro (6) were walking back from Centra Huntstown Road, and there was two cars essentially chasing after each other. Bear in mind this was 8.15pm on a Sunday evening with dozens of groups of kids and that floating around. Absolutely madness.

Couple weeks back there was a car speeding around at about 4pm on one of the real sunny days where there were tonnes of kids out on the grass. Police chased the car up on the grass where the kids were playing. Teenagers pulled out of it and taken away in police car. It's ridiculous the amount of cars that going bombing it down that hartstown road.

Just spotted a speed camera, with a display that shows the speed on the hartstown road this morning .

Good to see something being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

For ****'s sake don't put ramps on the road. Most of the roads I have to drive on to work have them and they've wankered the suspension on my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dartz wrote: »
    For ****'s sake don't put ramps on the road. Most of the roads I have to drive on to work have them and they've wankered the suspension on my car.

I've driven Blackhorse Avenue daily for years, there's speed ramps into my estate. Never had issues with suspension on any car I've owned during that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

thomasj wrote: »
    Just spotted a speed camera, with a display that shows the speed on the hartstown road this morning .

It's not actually a speed camera though, just a reminder not to go too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

At least only the driver injured. I wonder what speed was involved in this one ?

As pointed out, not a speed camera. There's at least two on the Hartstown Road. I'd say speed cameras will follow.

Reports this evening of a young person knocked down beside the Topaz garage on the Hartstown Road. Hopefully nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

this is an exceptionally dangerous road, will it take a fatality for fingal co. council to do something , it did take just that onthe diswellstown road ,and the same applies to porterstown road beside the park/ St Mochtas's church.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Exactly what do folk expect to be done to slow the traffic down? There is no such thing as fixed speed cameras in Ireland, these incidents are about personal responsibility for ones driving.

Someone mentioned Diswellstown Road. Like Hartstown Road its a bus route and a main road that would be used by ambulances to access the local estates, and the minor measures that were put on the road have not changed the ability to drive a car at excessive speed down it, if someone was of a mind to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Oops69 wrote: »
    and the same applies to porterstown road beside the park/ St Mochtas's church.
    I am shocked that the road beside Porterstown Park/St Mochta's Church has a 60km/h limit. It is narrow and has a lot of pedestrians and a number of car park entrances. And that is before the lazy people start parking on the already narrow footpaths, completely blocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

daymobrew wrote: »
    I am shocked that the road beside Porterstown Park/St Mochta's Church has a 60km/h limit. It is narrow and has a lot of pedestrians and a number of car park entrances. And that is before the lazy people start parking on the already narrow footpaths, completely blocking them.

60 kph is 37 mph , not by any means "Fast".

What speed limit would you suggest on the Porterstown road?

Besides, the limit is the "limit", it doesn't mean you have to drive at that speed you can always drive slower if you feel conditions dont allow for 60.

Also, if somebody was inclined to drive fast on that road (lets say 80kph) they would do so regardless of the official speed limit being 60kph or 40kph

I doubt any of the accidents mentioned in this thread occurred from people obeying the official speed limit on the respective roads :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ION08 wrote: »
    60 kph is 37 mph , not by any means "Fast".

What speed limit would you suggest on the Porterstown road?
    Around the church and park I would suggest 50km/h or even lower.

Feel free to stand in front of a car doing only 37 mph: you have a 10% chance of surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

A regular police presence is what's needed not speed cameras or ramps whereby speeders can slow down at a particular spot and then race off again once they're clear. People need to be complaining to the guards and local politicians in large numbers to have any chance of getting something done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

daymobrew wrote: »

That's what happens if you have don't build enough parking. They are extending the parking available there.

There is an good argument to reduce the speed on that section. It is very busy with pedestrian traffic.

The problem is it's used as a rat run. Which has only got worse since they opened the dr troy bridge. Locals predicted this would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've driven Blackhorse Avenue daily for years, there's speed ramps into my estate. Never had issues with suspension on any car I've owned during that period.

Some cars are more prone to it than others. Ramps do cause that in general even though they didn't to your car yet.

Yet what alternative is there if camera s arent installed and there is almost zero enforcement of speeding.

Hate ramps but I can't see what else would work if people won't cop on.

You have other threads on boards with people vigorously defending speeding and aggressive driving in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fourinarow

Another accident this evening, sounds serious, unable to post links, it's on the Gardai twitter account..

Road is closed off again just after the roundabout. Seems to be a collision involving motorbike(s)

Road is closed off again just after the roundabout. Seems to be a collision involving motorbike(s)

Supposedly not good news either, a chap in his early 20s.

Happened just before 7, I was heading up that road and the Garda cars flew by me.

Lad has died from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

god rest him

• Advertisement

Ah that's terrible, RIP to the lad, feel for his family. That road is becoming a deathtrap!

Advertisement