Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another smash on the hartstown road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Today is the 4th Anniversary of the crash that killed two on that road too!

My girlfriend was in school with the chap who died this evening and bumped into him occassionally. May he RIP.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/man-in-his-early-20s-dies-after-two-motorbikes-collide-in-dublin-35153373.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RIP to the person who died.

Has there been any coroners reports in to the other deaths as to what they were caused by?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A lot of people on social media calling the road a disgrace. I know they're upset and grieving but I don't really get that point? What exactly is the issue with the road? There's one of those flashing speed signs that tells you your current KPH and warns you if you're going over the limit. Plus there's a ridiculous amount of traffic lights on the loop road too. This horrible event possibly had nothing to do with speeding, I don't know, but has anyone got any gripes with the road itself? Only problem I've ever had is up at the St Ciaran's church with pedestrians crossing in front of/behind buses pulling out from the bus stop. Anyone else?

RIP young man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Omackeral wrote: »
    A lot of people on social media calling the road a disgrace. I know they're upset and grieving but I don't really get that point? What exactly is the issue with the road?

The road is fine, the problem is idiots tearing around it at ridiculous speeds. For the most part there is pretty decent visibility around it too, so if you're within the speed limit you should have plenty of time to deal with the unexpected, unless that unexpected is hooring along as seems to be the case far too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The road is fine, the problem is idiots tearing around it at ridiculous speeds. For the most part there is pretty decent visibility around it too, so if you're within the speed limit you should have plenty of time to deal with the unexpected, unless that unexpected is hooring along as seems to be the case far too often.

^^^ this. I live near the topaz, and I find that after the topaz, where people have had to slow down for the turn into the estate, the pedestrian lights, cars turning into or coming out of the garage....more often than not, once drivers are past all of this, they put the boot down and tear off towards that roundabout. I saw several bikers driving around my estate yesterday evening, I wonder were they the ones involved in the accident? RIP to the young man.

There's a petition on Facebook now with nearly 2 thousand of likes called ''Ramps for Hartsown Road'' and is just full of people calling the road a disgrace. I honestly don't get how it's a disgrace. People need to slow down and that's all there is to it. The flashing 'Your Speed' sign has been a very welcome addition I think, they're good devices. I'd sometimes be going a couple of KPH over and the flashing red does make me take notice. Then when it's green it feels nice, for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

There's a petition on Facebook now with nearly 2 thousand of likes called ''Ramps for Hartsown Road'' and is just full of people calling the road a disgrace. I honestly don't get how it's a disgrace. People need to slow down and that's all there is to it. The flashing 'Your Speed' sign has been a very welcome addition I think, they're good devices. I'd sometimes be going a couple of KPH over and the flashing red does make me take notice. Then when it's green it feels nice, for want of a better word.

Agree.
    The new ones up at Manorfields have definitely made me take notice that I'd normally drive that road about 5/6 km over the limit, since the flashing speed signs went in I've made a conscious effort to keep my speed down to below the limit. The habit has already formed and I've copped that I do it without even thinking anymore.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What is it about that road in particular? I'm not overly familiar with it but I have driven on it myself quite a few times and don't recall it being the kind of road where you'd feel more likely to have an accident. I've never heard of as many accidents on any other stretch of road in Blanch and there are some really dire roads around the place here.

Its so tragic to hear of yet another death, two kids died over the weekend as a result of traffic accidents too...rest in peace to all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

DvB wrote: »
    Agree.
    The new ones up at Manorfields have definitely made me take notice that I'd normally drive that road about 5/6 km over the limit, since the flashing speed signs went in I've made a conscious effort to keep my speed down to below the limit. The habit has already formed and I've copped that I do it without even thinking anymore.

Thing is the people who go bombing it down the road know they are speeding and know they are above the limit and in some cases I reckon the flashing red of their speed is an accomplishment of sorts, cause let's face it it's not the responsible drivers who are speeding excessively.
    Unfortunately there are accidents occurring and it's not always due to speed, but those speed readers aren't doing anything about the people who deliberately speed down the road, those going a couple kph over will indeed slow down but they're not generally the ones people are worried about.
    I don't know if ramps are a solution though.

Edit: that's not to specifically lay blame on the people involved in accidents, just speeding on that road generally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

eviltwin wrote: »
    What is it about that road in particular? ...

Its probably not that road in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The road is perfectly fine, there are 2 problems with it.
    1. driver behaviour & 2. lack of enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

They'll end up with those 'soft' ramps that do virtually nothing to curb speed, in effect they cause drivers of smaller cars to veer L/R in efforts to avoid them. I honestly cannot see the regular ramps going in with the bus traffic.

Why not put a speed camera on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

beauf wrote: »
    Why not put a speed camera on it.

Speed isn't the only problem though, cameras won't stop the issues. A simple approach is make the enforcement visible for a period of time. It's impractical to keep a traffic car on patrol on one road eternally but at least do it for long enough to force a few positive changes in the behaviour of the road users.

Speed cameras have been shown to work in many studies in reducing accidents.

Far from perfect. But what confidence do you have any any other measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Not wanting to detract from the tragedy, however I live in Rusheeny Village and the the lad was a part of a group that used Rusheeny Avenue & Green as their personal 'test track'. The road around the green area where parents and kids would be walking in the (good) evenings, kids of all ages playing on the green and animals (cats/dogs) walking around. They have no respect for anyone tbh.
    There must have been an element of speed involved simple as that.
    As said, its not the road, its the people who use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dodzy wrote: »
    They'll end up with those 'soft' ramps that do virtually nothing to curb speed, in effect they cause drivers of smaller cars to veer L/R in efforts to avoid them. I honestly cannot see the regular ramps going in with the bus traffic.

If they put the strong metal type one's that are on Blakestown Rd it may help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

From Paul Donnelly's (SF) facebook page.
    Firstly, thoughts and prayers today for Stephens family and friends. One can only imagine the pain and grief they must be going through.
    I'll be presenting an emergency motion this afternoon to ensure we have a plan for the Hartstown/ Huntstown road.
    There's been another two accidents this week with a car crashing and demolishing this pole and a man was knocked down at the garage last evening.
    I have been in discussion with both the Gardaí and Fingal county council in relation to developing a plan.
    I'm pleased that plans are very advanced for the installation of the speed cushions with detailed plans already being put out to tender.
    I'll continue to push for the other items on my emergency motion.

Even more incidents, what the hell is going on on that road. I know it's speeding but honestly, at this point, I think they should just close off the road at the roundabout where the school is (even put a bus gate in so only buses can get through) and make it so that cars can't get all the way around, so they won't have the chance to speed all the way around the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Jogged by there Tuesday night at about 9pm, a green Micra came skidding out of Rusheeny. Lads looked young enough and control of the car wasnt great.

Thought to myself jesus will they ever learn.

Before anyone asks I had no phone and by the time I got home I am sure they were well gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

January wrote: »
    From Paul Donnelly's (SF) facebook page.

Even more incidents, what the hell is going on on that road. I know it's speeding but honestly, at this point, I think they should just close off the road at the roundabout where the school is (even put a bus gate in so only buses can get through) and make it so that cars can't get all the way around, so they won't have the chance to speed all the way around the roads.

They should just make cars and bikes completely illegal so people can't speed in them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

:rolleyes: No need to be smart, just a suggestion. Why is that particular road in Dublin 15 more prone to accidents from people speeding on it than any other?

Even more incidents, what the hell is going on on that road. I know it's speeding but honestly, at this point,so they won't have the chance to speed all the way around the roads. I think they should just close off the road at the roundabout where the school is (even put a bus gate in so only buses can get through) and make it so that cars can't get all the way around,

That's seriously ridiculous. What about the residents that live up there? What are they supposed to do? Why should we inconvenience and isolate hundreds, maybe thousands, of people because a few people can't keep their speed in check. Put gatso speed vans up there like they have on the Blakestown Road. Closing a main thoroughfare is not the answer whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

:rolleyes: No need to be smart, just a suggestion. Why is that particular road in Dublin 15 more prone to accidents from people speeding on it than any other?

Maybe its cursed?... or maybe people speeding and/or driving like @ssholes and general driver behaviour is to blame and nothing to actually do with the Road.

The road is wide, well surfaced and has good visibility and is quite a useful link road.

Why should others have to suffer a good road being closed to through traffic and a resulting increase in traffic on other routes because of others thinking they are Michael Schumacher on that road.

The root cause of driver mentality needs to be tackled, not simply pointing the finger and blaming "the road"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree, can we dispense with mentions of curses and other daftness.

Its a good question, why that particular road? The next logical question is what road has had more so-called traffic calming measures installed in the vicinity? Answer, none. There has to be a correlation. All the damn chicanes and lane swerves and merges and humps and everything else. I know its no excuse, but if it adds to driver frustration, it can't be discounted as something to be addressed.

When it comes to ramps / speed cushions, as a carer for someone with severe rheumatoid arthritis (among other things) they are murder on people travelling in ambulances and buses and as its a main road I will object strongly to them. Perhaps some decent enforcement of speed and dangerous antics as well as a 'seize and destroy' policy for untaxed/uninsured/no-NCT cars would be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Buses, and most wide axled vehicles, can straddle the cushions, they offer no obstacle to them at all.

Lot of roads in the area have issues with speeding. Porterstown road, Diswellstown road and in the past Clonsilla road itself. Diswellstown has ramps on it for these reason. There used to be regular speed checks at the bottom of Dr Troy Bridge, but haven't seen them for years. These are rat runs, for commuting traffic so are very busy with people rushing somewhere else. When its quiet you are left with a big wide open road. Its no mystery.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Buses, and most wide axled vehicles, can straddle the cushions, they offer no obstacle to them at all.

Buses go down Diswellstown road and it has ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I don't think this road in isolation is more dangerous than any other road in the country. However, what I do believe are possibly contributory factors are the sheer amount of entrances to large housing estates on both sides of the road the entire length of the road from Lidl at Blakestown right around to Mountview at the other end. This means you have a constant stream of busy traffic entering and exiting these junctions and making riskier right hand turns in many cases during limited opportunities. The entire road is also stretched like an elongated C so there is a constant, gradual curve which creates less of a long distance sight line and more skidding and control loss if you are driving at high speed. Finally, and this may be an unpopular view, but this area of D15 has one of the youngest demographics in the country. This equates to a higher number of young adult males than other areas. All statistics confirm time and time again that such drivers (18 - 25) are most likely to be involved in speeding, reckless and dangerous driving. All these factors combined create an unfortunate perfect storm for the tragedies we witness on this seemingly innocuous road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But it doesn't appear that any of the accidents had anything to do with people taking right turns.

Advertisement