Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another smash on the hartstown road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

WTSIB wrote: »
    "bloted"-- ??
    Sorry for the typo. Maybe I had "bloated cost" in my head while I was trying to type "bolted"

thomasj wrote: »
    Here's the letter for anyone interested .
    "Confusion for the motorists" - surely that would encourage the motorist to slow down to handle the various different calming types.
    Buses could slow down to take the chicanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

daymobrew wrote:
    "Confusion for the motorists" - surely that would encourage the motorist to slow down to handle the various different calming types. Buses could slow down to take the chicanes.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

So I see speed cushions have been installed near the Hartstown shops? (might be some more towards Huntstown, I didn't drive further than Cherryfield)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

nikpmup wrote: »
    So I see speed cushions have been installed near the Hartstown shops? (might be some more towards Huntstown, I didn't drive further than Cherryfield)
    They also threw them down on the road in Mulhuddart that crosses the river. They are bloody useless, though they will stop the grounded civics with the exhaust mounted just above the tarmac.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    They also threw them down on the road in Mulhuddart that crosses the river. They are bloody useless, though they will stop the grounded civics with the exhaust mounted just above the tarmac.

They're not the best, but at least they're something. The last couple of fatal accidents have been on the stretch of road each side of the petrol station. Will be interesting to see if it calms the above-mentioned civics etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

They ****ing wreck if you're driving anything that has hard suspension or tyres. Nearly got rear-ended this morning slowing down to not break a drop link on them.

They're the most retarded ****ing yokes since the advance spring broke on my lawnmower.

And y car's not some grounded little ****box of a civic with a fartcannon, but a factory-built car that hasn't been modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Went over them tonight, if nothing else they make people completely slow down but it's a bit pointless on such a small stretch of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Hopefully they'll put them on Blakestown Way next (outside Whitestown). Two idiots bumper to bumper overtook us, speeding a few nights ago, looked like they were racing, was fully expecting to hear a crash in the distance. Sad that we need to put bumps on a road to slow down idiot drivers with no respect for anyone else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

They're the dogs b*ll*x for slowing drivers down. Have to say when i heard speed cushions, I thought what a waste of money. Most speed cushions on roads are useless, one doesn't even have to slow down as both wheels go either side of the cushion or cars can go near the path and just have one wheel go over the cushion. As far as i can see you have no choice but to slow down with the ones that have been installed on the Hartstown Road, i hope they include the rest of the road especially down near the primary school.

• Advertisement

They've made a big difference alright

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I fail to see how they cost €43k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

:eek::eek: Hardly the supply and fit cost. Most of the cost was probably consultants, surveys and administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Id say it was mostly the supply and fit cost to be honest. Between bonds, insurance, traffic mgmt requirements and other statutory box ticking, its not an outrageous amount. Lack of an economy of scale and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

sparky63 wrote: »
    They're the dogs b*ll*x for slowing drivers down. Have to say when i heard speed cushions, I thought what a waste of money. Most speed cushions on roads are useless, one doesn't even have to slow down as both wheels go either side of the cushion or cars can go near the path and just have one wheel go over the cushion. As far as i can see you have no choice but to slow down with the ones that have been installed on the Hartstown Road, i hope they include the rest of the road especially down near the primary school.

Yeah they're the "dogs b*ll*x" alright .... except for the fact that motorbikes can easily swerve around them :rolleyes:

If anthing they are more dangerous to motorbikes proving to be nothing more than an obstacle course.

Hell even the roundabout in Tallaght didn't prove to be to much of a speed deterrent for the incident last week

... which just goes to show that if you want to speed or drive recklessly, you will do so regardless of official speed limits or speed "cushions"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Zaph wrote: »
    I fail to see how they cost €43k though.

Sparky63 nailed that one "Most of the cost was definitely consultants & surveys"

Last of the "budget spend before year end" money.

A report to FixYourStreet.ie really doesn't like the ramps.
    The new ramps installed on the Hartstown Road are defective and the roadway has been narrowed substantially as to make it unsafe for vehicles to negotiate the ramps to cause the least amount of damage. The islands on the side of the road prevent motorists from using the safer left side of the roadway. Instead they are squeezed towards the centre of the road, a very dangerous place to be.

The ramps cannot be negotiated safely as they are wider than passenger car wheel bases thus leaving the law abiding motorist having to mount the severe obstacle at risk of causing damage to his vehicle.

Please direct appropriate action instead against the intoxicated drivers who cause the carnage rather than the law abiding motorist traveling safely at a consistent speed within the posted speed limit.

In the meantime, please examine the placement of the ramps and adjust away from the centre of the roadway and to allow them to be negotiated without having to be mounted.

Do the traffic islands or ramps narrow the roadway? If so, that makes it very unsafe for cyclists, forcing them further into the traffic lane.

daymobrew wrote: »

Do the traffic islands or ramps narrow the roadway? If so, that makes it very unsafe for cyclists, forcing them further into the traffic lane.

The islands have a space at the left of them to allow cyclists to pass. And I thought the idea of ramps was that you have to mount them?! I drive an average sized saloon car with a low-ish front end, and I can negotiate them perfectly safely (and slowly!) without having to drive in the centre of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

daymobrew wrote: »

I do agree with this, why should my suspension components and brakes suffer undue wear and tear and why should my fuel economy suffer from the acceleration and deceleration in between ramps.

At the end of the day these ramps will do nothing to deter drunk drivers or speeding motorcyclists.

They are only there to placate the resident who want to see that something (Anything!) is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OakViewer

The ramps cannot be negotiated safely as they are wider than passenger car wheel bases thus leaving the law abiding motorist having to mount the severe obstacle at risk of causing damage to his vehicle.

This is the whole point of them I thought. You can't just speed through them without slowing. 'Severe obstacle' ... 'damage to his vehicle' :confused: what? Just go over them slowly and there won't be any vehicle damage from this severe obstacle.
    The new ramps installed on the Hartstown Road are defective and the roadway has been narrowed substantially as to make it unsafe for vehicles to negotiate the ramps to cause the least amount of damage.
    Again what is this 'least amount of damage' ? It seems all of this person's issues arise from wanting to go over the ramps at speed. Just slow down and your precious vehicle will be fine.
    I do agree with this, why should my suspension components and brakes suffer undue wear and tear and why should my fuel economy suffer from the acceleration and deceleration in between ramps.
    Again, go over them slowly and your suspension won't get damaged. Send a bill to Fingal for the wasted fuel and brake pad wear/tear from having to slow down for roughly 100 metres in a heavily pedestrianized area.
    At the end of the day these ramps will do nothing to deter drunk drivers or speeding motorcyclists.
    Yes they will. The motorcyclists have a much narrower area which to speed through now. Unless they have a death wish, they will slow down. Also I can't see how a drunk driver could speed through that many ramps. There's about 7 installed now. They are designed in such a way that if you try to speed over them, you will be slowed down by the impact whether you like it or not.
    If so, that makes it very unsafe for cyclists, forcing them further into the traffic lane.
    Nonsense, there is a huge space on each side between the kerb and the island for cyclists to safely pass through. If anything they have made the road safer for cyclists.

The sole intention of these ramps was to slow traffic down on the road and they are proving very effective at doing this. It's a road with shops, garage, pub, medical centre, pharmacy, church, primary school, secondary school, community centre, day centre, residential housing, park, all within very close proximity. There have been 4 deaths on the road in past 4 years all involving excessive speed and all occurring on a very small stretch from the garage to Hartstown Community College roundabout. Something had to change. And it has. Get over it.

• Advertisement

Already popped one drop-link on them.

Heard it go 'clunk'

At 10kph.

This is rediculous.

Not to mention the amount of times I've nearly been rear-ended so far because I've got to bring it to a near stop to get over them safely.

And I amn't driving some lowered fartcannon machine. It's a 1.3 Mazda, factory original.

Heard it go 'clunk'

At 10kph.

This is rediculous.

Not to mention the amount of times I've nearly been rear-ended so far because I've got to bring it to a near stop to get over them safely.

And I amn't driving some lowered fartcannon machine. It's a 1.3 Mazda, factory original.

I drove over the ramps this morning. Very similar to those on Diswellstown Road, maybe a little taller. I had no issues on them in a Passat - maybe its wheelbase is wide.

I like the bypasses for cyclists. It is such a pity that FCC didn't do the same on Diswellstown Road - I've had a number of scares where motorists try to pass me and pull in before the islands there. In my submission before those ramps I did say that such things would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Dartz wrote: »

Heard it go 'clunk'

At 10kph.

This is rediculous.

The drop link was worn anyway id imagine.

Doesn't matter.

They broke my car.

They damaged my car in such a way that might impair its roadholding and overall safety.

Doesn't matter.

They broke my car.

They damaged my car in such a way that might impair its roadholding and overall safety.

It does matter. Your car broke because it was already worn and the worn parts were most likely already affecting its road holding and safety, obviously without your knowledge. You should be thanking the speed ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

"you should be glad i smashed your windshield, if i didn't you wouldn't have noticed the chip in it"

Swan Curry wrote: »
    "you should be glad i smashed your windshield, if i didn't you wouldn't have noticed the chip in it"

"One shouldn’t quote an analogy when one obviously doesnt know what one is talking about"

Have you gotten it fixed?

• Advertisement

Whenever the hell I can afford the time and money for the part to show up. Be nice to be able to afford a brand new ****box like some people seem to think everyone can.

Of course, I need it for work so going without's not really an option.

Advertisement