Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription cycling glasses

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Where are you based? Can't help you ordering online but can point you to one in cork who does a range of cycling and sports glasses. They might fulfill online orders if you your prescription

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Weepsie wrote: »
    Where are you based? Can't help you ordering online but can point you to one in cork who does a range of cycling and sports glasses. They might fulfill online orders if you your prescription

Based in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've bought a couple of pairs from these guys - https://www.optilabs.com/
    Excellent service and the glasses do the job really well. I've got one pair with Photochromatic and one with "yellow" low-light lenses.
    They wouldn't be the "coolest" looking glasses so consequently mainly use them for commuting and contact lenses and Oakleys when I'm feeling "Euro"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I have bbb optiview's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Optiview-Mens-Sunglasses/dp/B002YT8EW6

been using them for a couple of years, no real issues...sometimes when the weather is ****ty, ive noticed that I can see better without any glasses...don't think it is specific to these glasses, I have had the same problem when running with regular glasses...

C3PO wrote: »
    Excellent service and the glasses do the job really well. I've got one pair with Photochromatic and one with "yellow" low-light lenses.
    They wouldn't be the "coolest" looking glasses so consequently mainly use them for commuting and contact lenses and Oakleys when I'm feeling "Euro"!!

How much do the prescription oakleys cost? I was quoted €600!!! (frames are €190)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

C3PO wrote: »

Bought 3 pairs from optilabs great service. I got 2 pairs of the blaze glasse one with photocromic lenses for night/winter.

Just got the Eclipse with the blue Iridium lenses a few weeks ago and love them. They might seem dear but having had glasses with clip in Rx lenses before they don't compare to proper prescription lenses.During heavy rain in races I found that the water lodged between the outer lenses and the RX lenses and instantly steamed up.
    Well worth the investment for proper glasses..

How much do the prescription oakleys cost? I was quoted €600!!! (frames are €190)

My Oakleys don't have prescription lenses - I use them with contacts! As you are discovering prescription lenses in the bigger brand name frames tend to be very expensive!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've quiet a few from Optilabs and they are great for cycling with plenty of options if you need to match (I've got white, orange, blue, black and red helmets;))

Oakleys don't allow for as strong enough prescription for me

OP, make sure you go for the prescription lenses and not inserts as the inserts can be a PITA when they get a bit of perspiration on or need some other dirt cleaning off.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

Hi,

All I wear is prescription Oakley, sunglasses and normal clear glasses. Was never quoted €600 a pair.
    (Currently wearing a pair of square wire with clear prescription lenses.)

I've got all of mine from a normal optician, anywhere that sell / stock oakley frames should be able to get you them in prescription format.

MiCk B. :-)

Beasty wrote: »
    I've quiet a few from Optilabs and they are great for cycling with plenty of options if you need to match (I've got white, orange, blue, black and red helmets;))

OP, make sure you go for the prescription lenses and not inserts as the inserts can be a PITA when they get a bit of perspiration on or need some other dirt cleaning off.

Thanks a million for the info all. The clip ins dont appeal to me really. Ill check out optilabs website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use glasses2you.co.uk and find them good. They're based in the UK.

LOVE40 is the current discount code

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

I have used rxsport.co.uk twice and they have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I bought a few pairs online in the past, where like a little pair of spectacles that clipped inside your sun glasses. They did the job but were very hard to keep clean & fogged up.

Evntually switched to disposable contacts & got Oakleys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i have a pair of rudy projects with inserts, very handy but agreed about bad weather. might use this thread as a starting point for replacements!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Beasty wrote: »

Beasty, can I ask did you get the photochromatic lenses? If so does the varying tint work well for you?

colm18 wrote: »
    Beasty, can I ask did you get the photochromatic lenses? If so does the varying tint work well for you?

I have Optilab Flows with photochromatic lenses and they work well for during the day in any conditions except the usual problem of cycling from a bright open area to an area under trees - they take a little time to "catch up"! However I also have a pair of Flows with yellow low light lenses and use them for my commute which is usually during darkness!

Great thanks, optilabs make the claim about the photochromatic lenses - 'In very low light they will go virtually clear making them ideal protection for cycling at night' - would you agree with that? I'm guessing not if you have a second pair with yellow lenses?

I have lost my pair of Cuesta Raggio somehow possibly from not closing a pannier zip pocket.

They were inserts, but suited my needs and budget at the time perfectly.

How much are these setting ye back dare I ask?

I have a cheapy pair with inserts I got from goggles4u a few years back but they no longer seem to make them..I'm trying to choose from between a few from optilabs but looks like they'll cost about €200 all in

https://www.optilabs.com/product-category/sport/cycling-sunglasses/

Great thanks, optilabs make the claim about the photochromatic lenses - 'In very low light they will go virtually clear making them ideal protection for cycling at night' - would you agree with that? I'm guessing not if you have a second pair with yellow lenses?

I bought my first pair hoping to use them for both day and night time use but they really don't go "clear" enough in darkness! I found myself struggling to see potholes etc!

• Advertisement

Ive been quoted 150 from specsavers but they're also clip in but have changeable lenses and I can get a normal pair with them.

A friend in cork is an optician and can do dedicated cycling glasses for around the price too but it's getting down there that's an issue

I have a cheapy pair with inserts I got from goggles4u a few years back but they no longer seem to make them..I'm trying to choose from between a few from optilabs but looks like they'll cost about €200 all in

https://www.optilabs.com/product-category/sport/cycling-sunglasses/

The Flows with low light yellow lenses and my prescription cost me £170 + P&P around this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

If you don't mind inserts, have a look at the Race1001 pair on Firmoo.com which are $39 glazed (change price to sterling as it is the cheapest option at the moment). Delivery is from 7-15 days. I've ordered 8 different pairs from them before (7 general use, 1 fashion sunglasses) and all have been optically perfect.

I have the same pair (unglazed) from AliExpress, and find them great to use with contacts. The insert sits very close to the eyes, but that will always be the case.

EDIT: Direct link to Race1001 http://www.firmoo.com/goggles-p-2990.html Also, they tend to do Buy 1 Get 1 free quite often, so you may be as well off buying two of the same and setting them up differently, rather than bringing spare fronts with you.

If you don't mind inserts, have a look at the Race1001 pair on Firmoo.com which are $39 glazed (change price to sterling as it is the cheapest option at the moment). Delivery is from 7-15 days. I've ordered 8 different pairs from them before (7 general use, 1 fashion sunglasses) and all have been optically perfect.

I have the same pair (unglazed) from AliExpress, and find them great to use with contacts. The insert sits very close to the eyes, but that will always be the case.

Cool, thanks. Do you get interchangeable/different colour lenses with them? Website isn't too clear about that.
    *oh wait never mind, looks like you do!*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Cool, thanks. Do you get interchangeable/different colour lenses with them? Website isn't too clear about that.
    *oh wait never mind, looks like you do!*

If they are the same as mine (and I believe they are) there's clear, yellow, brown, grey, and mirror type lenses.

Actually, same style, slightly different lenses. Mirror, yellow, and two types for indoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057462514&page=2

I still have these ones from specsavers wich I occaisionally use. when not wearing contacts, absolutely no problem with them.

Just ordered a pair from Optilabs. To those who've ordered from them, what's been you usual wait time?

Just ordered a pair from Optilabs. To those who've ordered from them, what's been you usual wait time?

As far as I remember it was a couple of weeks!

Advertisement