Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building regulations

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do you need planning?
    How big is the extension?
    Who will do the work?
    Who will design the structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

kceire wrote: »
    Do you need planning?
    How big is the extension?
    Who will do the work?
    Who will design the structure?

I have planning permission got
    Extension is only 15sq m (part to side hence planning )
    Building contract (probably part sub by them)
    ?design structure. Using drawing from planning

I have planning permission got
    Extension is only 15sq m (part to side hence planning )
    Building contract (probably part sub by them)
    ?design structure. Using drawing from planning

Very unlikely that the structural details are on the planning drawings.
    Foundation width and depth. Mesh details, stone build up, rising walls and any steel ?

I would engage an engineer to prepare structural drawings and use those to construct

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Very unlikely that the structural details are on the planning drawings.
    Foundation width and depth. Mesh details, stone build up, rising walls and any steel ?

I would engage an engineer to prepare structural drawings and use those to construct

Ok thanks. Do i need cert of compliance at the end. Any estimate of cost for this process for engineer cost (supervision /cert?)

Ok thanks. Do i need cert of compliance at the end. Any estimate of cost for this process for engineer cost (supervision /cert?)

You will need the cert if you try sell in the future.
    Best to get it during the build with proper supervision.

Depends on location with regards to cost. I've seen some small extensions get done for about €1k but it varies depending on location and involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Doorcase

If i build without a mortgage and it is my home house for life do i have to get BER and completion cert. Who comes out to check building regs. It would be a self build so after commencement notice i would not be employing anyone for sign off or bank drawdowns.

Doorcase wrote: »
    If i build without a mortgage and it is my home house for life do i have to get BER and completion cert. Who comes out to check building regs. It would be a self build so after commencement notice i would not be employing anyone for sign off or bank drawdowns.

It lands on you I suppose. If the site is selected for inspection the local BCO will request the details. In Dublin, inspection rate is just above 40% currently.

Will you be employing someone to supervise the works at all?

Just the foundations which are in already. Employing a trusted builder. Its another 3K to employ an engineer. What can they do. tell you to toss house. I am going to build to most regs anyway but not 100% to be honest. Its just not fiancially possible for me. So what can i do, rent for the rest of my life beacuse of a nanny state

Just the foundations which are in already. Employing a trusted builder. Its another 3K to employ an engineer. What can they do. tell you to toss house. I am going to build to most regs anyway but not 100% to be honest. Its just not fiancially possible for me. So what can i do, rent for the rest of my life beacuse of a nanny state

Your choice i suppose.
    Let's hope you don't ever need the cert for a sale or mortgage down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

It may also be a problem for your children if you decide to leave it to them when you die.

And obviously it goes without saying that many of the building regulations (including the fire and structure ones) are there for your own safety.

I'm not sure if there's insurance/bankruptcy implications if you or indeed someone else were to try and make a claim for something that occurred due to you overlooking the building regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

The cost of not having the building certified is failure to sell. Not your problem by the sounds of it, but definitely your children's or whoever inherits the house. Also, building in accordance with the regulations is the law.

Just had a site inspection today. Seemed happy enough. Was not present at time but all ok :)

Just had a site inspection today. Seemed happy enough. Was not present at time but all ok :)

Site Inspection by who?

Building control

Building control

Agh cool. Where are you based? How did you get on with them and what kind of info did they request?

In Donegal. Was only there 10 mins. Took a quick look. talked about weather and digger that was there and headed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I'm looking for some advice please, I have a back single story kitchen extension of 20m.sq which I have fully stripped out for refurbishment. It will need a new sub floor all the way down to the foundations. A new concrete floor and roof replacement are necessary too. Walls have been stripped back to the block work. The house was built in 1952 and the extension was built in 1965. I will upgrade the insulation as much as I can afford, but are there any build regs I need to comply with?

We may sell the house in 10 years and I don't want it to fail a survey due to not complying with something.

Thanks!

nightster1 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice please, I have a back single story kitchen extension of 20m.sq which I have fully stripped out for refurbishment. It will need a new sub floor all the way down to the foundations. A new concrete floor and roof replacement are necessary too. Walls have been stripped back to the block work. The house was built in 1952 and the extension was built in 1965. I will upgrade the insulation as much as I can afford, but are there any build regs I need to comply with?

We may sell the house in 10 years and I don't want it to fail a survey due to not complying with something.

Thanks!

You have to comply with the all in theory.
    But most of them have smaller targets for domestic extensions such as insulation levels etc

Do the best you can with what you have.
    Some things will be mandatory such as ventilation, structural compliance, fire erc

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

You have to comply with the all in theory.
    But most of them have smaller targets for domestic extensions such as insulation levels etc

Do the best you can with what you have.
    Some things will be mandatory such as ventilation, structural compliance, fire erc

Thanks for the reply,

Should I put in vents and insulation in the roof space to comply with current regs? The flat roof is being replaced. The single glazed windows were replaced in 1990 and they will remain. What about wall and floor insulation in the extension renovation-will i need to rebuild to current regs?

I just don't want a building surveyor to say I should have done xy& zwhen I eventuallygo to sell in the future. You may ask why don't I get professional advice now. It's down to €€€'s

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nightster1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

Should I put in vents and insulation in the roof space to comply with current regs? The flat roof is being replaced. The single glazed windows were replaced in 1990 and they will remain. What about wall and floor insulation in the extension renovation-will i need to rebuild to current regs?

I just don't want a building surveyor to say I should have done xy& zwhen I eventuallygo to sell in the future. You may ask why don't I get professional advice now. It's down to €€€'s

what you are doing can be considered a 'material alteration' and thus each aspect should comply with current building regulations.

as nobody here will give advice for free that you really should be paying for, id advise you inform yourself of the requirements under the building regulations

there are very good reasons professional advice costs €€€'s
    i think i counted before of almost 2000 pages of building regulations (and appendices) which are applicable to domestic houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Just to point out that windows installed in 1990 are so far from the insulating quality of modern windows (26 years later) that it would be ridiculous not to replace them.

It's a total waste of time insulating the roof and walls to current (or close to current) standards if you leave 26 year old windows in place.

Advertisement