Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hot Chilli Peppers....

Options
  • 04-07-2016 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I have recently discovered the genius and brilliance of red hot chilli peppers after years of overlooking this great band... I dont know why but whenever i would hear anybody talk about them i would just say to myself that i dont like them and shut them off... But after hearing californication on the radio i said to my friend "I love this song who sings it again???" I got a big surprise when I heard the answer. I have been hearing songs on the radio for years that I liked and never realized it was red hot chilli peppers who sang them....

My current five favorites are

Californication
    Under The Bridge
    Give it away
    Dani California
    and Otherside...

Just thought I would share my views on this great band and welcome anyone elses....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Each to their own I suppose. They have a few classics (like a lot of bands) but generally not keen on their work.

I see their name pop up in the WORST CONCERT EVER thread a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

The music video for Can't Stop always struck me as really good, it's worth looking into if you've not seen it! I have to agree with most of your top 5, Under the Bridge is a great song! I'm not the biggest fan of chilli peppers but I do appreciate their stuff! ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

CliCliW wrote: »
    The music video for Can't Stop always struck me as really good, it's worth looking into if you've not seen it! I have to agree with most of your top 5, Under the Bridge is a great song! I'm not the biggest fan of chilli peppers but I do appreciate their stuff! ^_^

Its very easy to overlook them I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

'I'm forever near a stereo saying, what the **** is this garbage? And The answer is always the red hot chili peppers'

Nick Cave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Snow.. Hey oh one of the greats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A great band. Ultra catchy tunes, and as far as album titles go, "Blood, Sugar, Sex and Magic" must be one of the best.
    Saw them in Lansdowne Road back in 2002. Great concert.

listermint wrote: »
    Snow.. Hey oh one of the greats

Oh yeah thats a good one to, another song I didnt know till recently who sang it despite hearing it so many times over the years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Get the albums Mother's Milk, BSSM, One Hot Minute and Californication. The rest are absolute rubbish, especially the early, embarrassingly poor funk-rock and unbearably bland latter day stuff.

LunarSea wrote: »
    Get the albums Mother's Milk, BSSM, One Hot Minute and Californication. The rest are absolute rubbish, especially the early, embarrassingly poor funk-rock and unbearably bland latter day stuff.

Yeah their earlier stuff I thought was pretty bad

tomofson wrote: »

Yeah it's a bit of a shock to the system if you hear BSSM first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Some decent tunes on other albums, that were either b-sides or covers.
    You gotta listen to the following tunes.

If You Want Me To Stay.
    Catholic School Girls Rule.
    Show Me You Soul, killer solo and cowbells.
    Soul To Squeeze.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Some decent tunes on other albums, that were either b-sides or covers.
    You gotta listen to the following tunes.

If You Want Me To Stay.
    Catholic School Girls Rule.
    Show Me You Soul, killer solo and cowbells.
    Soul To Squeeze.

Catholic School Girls Rule lol :D

Thank you for the comment though I am only getting into this band recently and it is much appreciated i had never heard of any of them songs til now...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,440 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys what do you think of the new album.

Iv started to warm to it. I still miss the guitar rifts thou like we've seen in Wet Sand etc etc

So basically I still miss John

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what do you think of the new album.

Iv started to warm to it. I still miss the guitar rifts thou like we've seen in Wet Sand etc etc

So basically I still miss John

Haven't heard it yet to be honest.
    But will definitely give it a listen to shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Not a big fan but theyre alright. I liked the Beavis and Butthead one, Love Rollercoaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Finally a thread for RHCP!

I'm a huge fan. Have all their albums and love the new one too.

The standout albums for me though

BSSM, Californication

Then By the Way and Stadium Arcadium. The others are decent but not as good. They are still churning out decent tunes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 problemnext

Different band without frusciante. Josh is alright and is doing his best but will never live up to john. especially when it comes to the live interaction with flea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

One of the biggest nose-dives in terms of quality I've ever seen a band succumb to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭blue note

God this thread takes me back. I saw them back in 2002 or so in lansdowne and thought they were the most amazing band of all time. It was the first big concert I went to.

I still listen to them a bit, blood sugar and californication the best if the albums. I liked by the way a lot too and thought one hot minute was extremely underrated. And the 80s stuff is really good too, I wouldn't write it off.

I don't know much about the new stuff though. I got old and stopped listening to new stuff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as soon as they used the term "Mozambiquey" to wedge in yet another childish rhyme they lost all semblance of interest from me....

• Advertisement

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Not a big fan but theyre alright. I liked the Beavis and Butthead head one, Love Rollercoaster.

The original version (by the Ohio Players) is way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

LunarSea wrote: »
    The original version (by the Ohio Players) is way better.

Just listened to it there. Yes it is! :)

LoLth wrote: »
    as soon as they used the term "Mozambiquey" to wedge in yet another childish rhyme they lost all semblance of interest from me....

Don't know why someones love for a band would turn to hate over just one dumb lyric... Not as if their the first to make up a word for lyrical purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

best concert ever in 2003 in slane but not a fan of all they do, i suppose like many bands that are 40 years on the go almost theres some songs less played.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nonsense. *

I was a huge RHCP fan in the late 80s. The first time I saw them was in the SFX, on the Blood Sugar Tour, with the Rollins Band in support. Absolutely blown away.

The SFX was the perfect venue for the band. Capacity of a couple of thousand (packed in). Their music 'worked' there. The band worked there too. Blood Sugar was the last interesting thing they recorded, because they were in the perfect sized venues for the music they wrote.

Last time I saw them was Croke Park. Shyte. Why? Because 'good' RHCP music doesn't work in a space that size, and the music they began to write when they began to move into those spaces isn't good RHCP music.

I really do feel lucky that I got to see them in that kind of space, when they were that kind of band. If you think you've seen them since that time, well.... you really haven't. :(

* old fart disclaimer. Uplift is my favourite album. Make of that what you will.

endacl wrote: »
    Nonsense. *

I was a huge RHCP fan in the late 80s. The first time I saw them was in the SFX, on the Blood Sugar Tour, with the Rollins Band in support. Absolutely blown away.

The SFX was the perfect venue for the band. Capacity of a couple of thousand (packed in). Their music 'worked' there. The band worked there too. Blood Sugar was the last interesting thing they recorded, because they were in the perfect sized venues for the music they wrote.

Last time I saw them was Croke Park. Shyte. Why? Because 'good' RHCP music doesn't work in a space that size, and the music they began to write when they began to move into those spaces isn't good RHCP music.

I really do feel lucky that I got to see them in that kind of space, when they were that kind of band. If you think you've seen them since that time, well.... you really haven't. :(

* old fart disclaimer. Uplift is my favourite album. Make of that what you will.

I said "I thought" was pretty bad... That doesn't mean it was bad for everybody just for me, not trying to dictate to anyone what way to think.

endacl wrote: »

Heh, those first few RHCP albums are like aural pollution to me... yet I can listen to the early Faith No More records all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Don't know why someones love for a band would turn to hate over just one dumb lyric... Not as if their the first to make up a word for lyrical purposes

love for a band? I was interested in the band but I was never what I would describe as a "fan". If they were on the radio I wouldn't change the station. However, that word just jarred and made me pay more attention to the rhyming they use and once I did that, their songs annoy me. Tunes are still good but the lyrics are childish. It wasnt just one dumb lyric but it was the one that lead to closer attention.

yes, others have made up words. many authors have made up words. difference is, usually those making up the words have some degree of skill to make the word fit in with the rest of the tempo/language. "Mozambiquey" was just clumsy and too obviously crowbarred in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I find I agree with you more but not sure is that because I'm becoming more antisocial as I age and don't want to hear people talk or sing. So if I want to listen to them I play the instrumental stuff off YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 _McGuirkin_

RHCP are my favourite band and have been for the past couple of years, I'm going to see them for the second time in August up in Belfast. They have undoubtedly changed a lot through the years but I find learning to love each album individually is the best way to approach their music, take their new album for example, it definitely has its ups and downs but there is some great songs on there. I think their new guitarist Josh is progressing greatly and my DREAM of John returning is becoming less and less likely every day:(( Saying that they will always be my favourites!

Advertisement