Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Months, 3 Stone: Balls to the wall!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yay! Fair play KKV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So what's the plan for the next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd be making a plan to transition to something more sustainable for now, OP.

You've said you've dropped weight before but there a;ways seems to be a bounce back until the next time you muster the commitment. Make the loss stick this time! :)

Cheers folks.

For the next month, I'm really not sure. Losing mor weight sounds great, but staying in and around the same is fine with me too. I think I'll just take it day by day and see how the eating goes without intentionally trying to eat nothing or over-exercise.

I'm eager to get back to weight lifting again and working out in a manner that's progressive (crossfit etc. is great and it leaves me knackered, but at least with weight lifting you can see your progress whereas with crossfit it's not so transparent). I also want to start swimming.

Alf, I think the key to my success is more social orientated. I mentioned my anxiety issues earlier, which I think are a big part of my general weight problem (don't like going out, sit around eating, feel bad, don't want to be seen by people, stay in and eat, repeat, repeat, etc.) whereas after having a successful stint into a night out scenario last week, I feel a lot more confident in general day to day life.

I think this is an important aspect to the overall weight and general happiness/anxiety cycles I have.

I am working on a shed at the moment which will be a home gym, hopefully by this day next week. Once thats done I'll be back to working out properly. In the meantime, I'll try and celebrate my 10th week next week by throwing up a before/after kinda shot. There's not much difference in my overall appearance (unfortunately!) but i know it adds a lot of depth to a thread like this if there's a visual.

Unfortunately i hate the thought of my mug on the interwebs for things like this so i'm not gonna do it tonight. haha. I'll post up a pic or two on tuesday when I have the 10th week done.

If nothing else, that might embarrass me into keeping at it :P

I think I'll just take it day by day and see how the eating goes without intentionally trying to eat nothing or over-exercise.

Alf, I think the key to my success is more social orientated. I mentioned my anxiety issues earlier, which I think are a big part of my general weight prob

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the social element is big. But I would venture if you did a little planning ahead so that you'd have good food at hand regardless of what your working day is like you'd help yourself no end. It would get you into better eating habits and help the weight loss. Having nothing because you're out on the road means you'll be hungrier later and depending on how you feel, you might be leaving yourself open to letting any anxiety issues derailing you.

Everyone's cheering you on here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Fair play to you. Having been like a yoyo on my weight for most of my life I understand where your coming from.
    My biggest tip is planning. Plan for at least 3-4 days in advance what your going to eat for all your meals. When I don't plan I end up eating from chippers and eating out of deli's. Once that happens I'm knocked out for a week or two till I get sorry for myself and get back in the pony

Just posting a mini-update.

Did the 5k this evening. Did a 5-10 minute warm up mix of walking and jogging and got absolutely lashed on by the rain. Was destroyed in it. This was about 20 mins before the 5k itself.

5K itself, typically, stayed dry :rolleyes:

So I don't know my exact time, but as far as I can see, it's pretty close to 28:40 for the 5k, which I'm very pleased with (didn't think I'd get in under the 30 minute mark). I jogged the whole thing, which was my goal (getting a decent time was a secondary thing that never really bothered me, i just wanted to jog the whole thing).

So I'm very pleased. Quite delighted that I actually even went through with it. Was very anxious/nervous all day, but that's a natural enough reaction I suppose.

I felt good for the majority of it and held, what i felt was, a decent, consistent pace. For the last 1km I could feel the belly getting sore though and small pains around the abdomen (legs seemed fine, though, as did the breathing, oddly).

That said, I do (literally) have some bloody nipples to tend to. But with the good comes the bad, I suppose! :)

Bloody nipples and chafed thighs....welcome to running! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Just been reading through your thread, well done great achievement

Bloody nippers and chafed thighs....welcome to running! pacman.gif

Haha, no chafed thighs for me good sir! I learned a long time ago that sprint shorts are the only way forward in life. Not just for running, but for any time underwear is required!

(I wear them under tracksuit pants.. im not wandering around in just skin-tight shorts!).

Was not expecting the nipple issue though. There's a charity workout tomorrow morning in a local small gym. I plan to head along. It's 2 hours. Any practical advice on the nipple front? Will they be okay by then or should I look into covering them (plasters?).

Just been reading through your thread, well done great achievement

Cheers man. Very much appreciate it. I'm quite delighted at the moment, I will admit. :)

• Advertisement

Haha, no chafed thighs for me good sir! I learned a long time ago that sprint shorts are the only way forward in life. Not just for running, but for any time underwear is required!

(I wear them under tracksuit pants.. im not wandering around in just skin-tight shorts!).

Was not expecting the nipple issue though. There's a charity workout tomorrow morning in a local small gym. I plan to head along. It's 2 hours. Any practical advice on the nipple front? Will they be okay by then or should I look into covering them (plasters?).

They were the two things I was warned about after I first ran a race of any distance. I hadn't a notion what I was doing. But vaseline on thighs and nipples was advised. But plasters would be fine. No one knows so who cares how much u spare yourself the discomfort!

Cheers Alf, I appreciate it.

You're right though. I might stick a plaster on them. Better safe than sorry and all that. :)

Any practical advice on the nipple front? Will they be okay by then or should I look into covering them (plasters?

Wear a tight white T-shirt to show off ur bloody nips, let the competition know you mean business

Week ten done.

Coming in with a 5lb loss this week! How, I don't know, but somehow managed to get 5lbs off. I will have to attribute some of that to the 5K i ran and just being kept occupied in general, but i've really no idea how I can still drop off such big numbers.

So that means my current weight is 15st 8lbs. Within Slimming World I got a 3.5stone award (4lbs away from the 4st award with them, as I was 19st 4lbs when I joined up with them).

So I'm a happy camper.

Anywaym ten weeks in, and over 3st off. The before picture is a bit unfair, as I was after climbing Slieve Foye and so, was knackered (but its the only half decent full body pic I can find). It's also a bit older (about a year ago, although i was similar/same weight about 4 months ago, so would have looked fairly samey).

The other picture was taken today quite quickly with a camera phone (lazy, hence dirty tracksuit pants and no socks! :) ).

Beforeafter_Me.jpg

(and no editing on either really, even though the right one does just look like the left one, but 'squashed' in photoshop). :P

But you can see a general body shape change. Not as dramatic as you'd expect the guts of 4st weight loss to be though. (or at least if someone told me they lost 4st I'd expect a better before/after!). haha.

Next week i aim to try and keep the train rolling along. Gonna push myself and aim for 4lbs off. I know i was planning on settling at my current weight for a wee while, but I want that 4st award in slimming world. I don't follow their plans, but dammit i want their praise!! :P haha

Those pics are crazy, the difference is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Absolutely , huge difference , well done man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Amazing progress KKV - inspirational stuff!

Fair play, lad! That's a hell of a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's a big difference fair play!!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Just read your post from start to finish. Go you, motivational. You must be so proud of yourself, keep up the good work. I hope you start getting out more socially. Maybe even one exercise class a week or a running club. Most people are welcoming and if nothing else you might find few people to train with.

• Advertisement

How you getting on with the excess skin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just read this thread. Fair play to you.

Cheers for the kind words guys. Maybe it's just cos I see myself daily that I don't think it's really that much of a difference at all.

But I'm happy. Any progress is good progress! :D

Just read your post from start to finish. Go you, motivational. You must be so proud of yourself, keep up the good work. I hope you start getting out more socially. Maybe even one exercise class a week or a running club. Most people are welcoming and if nothing else you might find few people to train with.

Yeah I like the general idea of the local running club, but from what I understand, they're a very competitive bunch. Everything is timing and do things faster etc. which I'm not mad about.

I jog for leisure more than anything else. I enjoy it. Although I will push myself, I dont think i'd like to be getting competitive with it at all.

adam88 wrote: »
    How you getting on with the excess skin

I don't really seem to have any, to be honest. Or at least not that I've noticed.

I seem to be getting lucky in that my body has always been relatively well proportioned, and it seems to be maintaining that trait.

Don't get me wrong, I've a belly like the Big Boss Man and a pair of tits Gianna Michaels would be jealous of, but they're still relatively in proportion to my body.

Keep in mind I'm still carrying a lot of fat, and I'm still 15st 8lbs. Although 15st 8lbs is very light for me, for a 'normal' person that's still a bit big. I think I'll run into loose skin problems, as I've been obese my entire life, but I think that if I'm gonna run into those problems, it'll be if i ever get beyond 14st. I don't think it'll appear anytime soon.

But I could be wrong, of course.

I'd genuinely love to see you look at maintaining that for now. Both in terms of psychologically and physiologically your body will adapt to your new weight and in a month or two if you go again it won't be as tough to drop a few more pounds.

So find a way to make some of the changes sustainable and keep that weight off!

Great stuff.

I went from 21 to 16 and loose skin destroyed it for me

How do you mean when you say Loose skin Adam?

Can you link to a pic to demonstrate (not necessarily of you, but even just a google image of similar to what you mean?). I could have loose skin galore but just don't class it as such.

Be interesting to see what exactly you're referring to. Cheers.

21-16 is a serious drop. Did it take you long, out of curiousity? and did you manage to maintain it?

Alf, I do agree with you that I should hint towards maintaining at the moment, but I'm gonna be honest - I'm gonna keep at it as best I can until i get to the 4th October (holiday). I know I'll gain a bit when I'm on holiday, so my goal will be to get back to the weight i was before i went on holiday, and aim to maintain that until 8 or so weeks have passed.

I realise that may be simplifying it a bit, but that's what I have in my head. I haven't see 14 (stone) on a scale in about 20 years, and i won't lie, I'm, more than anything else, genuinely curious to see can I get to it. I'm only 9lb away from 14st 13lbs. I'd be amazed at seeing that on a scale.

Alf, I do agree with you that I should hint towards maintaining at the moment, but I'm gonna be honest - I'm gonna keep at it as best I can until i get to the 4th October (holiday). I know I'll gain a bit when I'm on holiday, so my goal will be to get back to the weight i was before i went on holiday, and aim to maintain that until 8 or so weeks have passed.

I realise that may be simplifying it a bit, but that's what I have in my head. I haven't see 14 (stone) on a scale in about 20 years, and i won't lie, I'm, more than anything else, genuinely curious to see can I get to it. I'm only 9lb away from 14st 13lbs. I'd be amazed at seeing that on a scale.

If you keep losing, so be it. Doesn't have to be now that you maintain but I just mean to make the effort to maintain when that time comes, ie after holidays.

It's just serious effort and the result is there to see. Just want this to be the time you make it stick! :)

How do you mean when you say Loose skin Adam?

Can you link to a pic to demonstrate (not necessarily of you, but even just a google image of similar to what you mean?). I could have loose skin galore but just don't class it as such.

Be interesting to see what exactly you're referring to. Cheers.

21-16 is a serious drop. Did it take you long, out of curiousity? and did you manage to maintain it?

Started in October 14 and got down to 16st in June 15. Changed job and hours and it's creeped back up to 18

Picture attached. Not as bad as those thankfully. Although it does look somewhat similiar when bending down like the pic on the right

I see what you mean about the loose skin, thing.

I have a bit of a saggy/baggy/droopy belly if i bend over, but it's not something I'd consider to be loose skin.. I just have a belly :P

I'm sure it'll shift over time.

That said, I am expecting to gain weight this week. Weighed myself today and was 15st 10.5lbs. So I'm effectively up 2.5lbs. I haven't been eating very well this week, in fairness, and my exercise has fallen off a cliff. So I'm planning to go all out, nWo style for tomorrow and Tuesday and see can I pull it back a bit.

Fingers crossed.

The good news is, that my home gym is now finito (well.. Minus a bit of painting and a TV, etc. yet to go in).

I can't wait to get stuck into it. :D

IMG_9869small.jpg

IMG_9872small.jpg

Today I added an exercise bike to it, too, and laid it out a tad better. But those photos are from yesterday before that. But you get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Impressive.
    How much did the equipment cost?

Advertisement