Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family living - terenure v blackrock

Options
  • 04-07-2016 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I'm moving to Dublin with family soon and we're going to need to secure accommodation before arrival which is pretty daunting as I've spent very little time in Dublin. Schools will be in Milltown and Blackrock so trying to figure out where to live.

I really liked Ranalagh but just haven't seen property available in the months we've been looking so now thinking blackrock itself. Also seen a lot of places advertised in terenure but no idea what that's like as a location - Any feedback appreciated.

We like having stuff on our doorstep - restaurants, pubs/bars and shops etc and I'll be working in Dublin 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

Nixster wrote:
    I'm moving to Dublin with family soon and we're going to need to secure accommodation before arrival which is pretty daunting as I've spent very little time in Dublin. Schools will be in Milltown and Blackrock so trying to figure out where to live.

Nixster wrote:
    I really liked Ranalagh but just haven't seen property available in the months we've been looking so now thinking blackrock itself. Also seen a lot of places advertised in terenure but no idea what that's like as a location - Any feedback appreciated.

Nixster wrote:
    We like having stuff on our doorstep - restaurants, pubs/bars and shops etc and I'll be working in Dublin 2.

Terenure is really nice. There's a giant Lidl on on side of the village and a Tesco on the other. There's a number of pubs in the middle of the village with restaurants that range from a classy burger joint to a nice Italian restaurant to a steakhouse and more. I would recommend them all. There's also a farmer's market on Saturdays in the really nice Bushy Park. One thing I would note is the traffic in Terenure between 7:30 and 9:30 in the mornings is just crazy. Everywhere in Dublin is the same but I feel that Terenure is that bit worse due to the local schools. So I would recommend a bicycle or scooter for getting to work.

Blackrock is a really nice area too, with all of the above and the added advantage of being closer to the beach/Dart line, not to mention one of the schools on your list.

Both areas are nice with no trouble, and both are good places for families to live. I would aim for Blackrock first and Terenure second, saying as one of the schools is Blackrock.

One tip - when searching for property, make sure the property is actually in the area you think it is. There's a lot of chancers out there who are claiming the house for sale is in these well-to-do areas, but are in fact in a completely different address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

To be honest you've little or no chance of securing accommodation from outside Dublin. Competition in the rental market is fierce with demand far exceeding supply.

Terenure has some very nice parts but if you're going to be relying on public transport to access the schools you'll have problems getting from Terenure to them. Have you considered Stillorgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nixster

Thanks for feedback - seems on balance blackrock is preferable.

Athtrasna - that's a concern. Do you mean from a logistics perspective (deposits/signing agreements etc) or because agents won't take us seriously? We have a relocation agent helping us so I had assumed that would remove some of the problem although I have to say I visited last month and found property viewings to be a bit of a free for all!

Unlikely we will be relying on public transport for schools to start with. Children are still young and in a new country so will need some time before that is even an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I don't want to be downright negative but trying to drive from Terenure to Blackrock every morning at school time could be a nightmare. What about Milltown, Dundrum, Churchtown, Goatstown, Stillorgan (as suggested above), Clonskeagh, even Booterstown at a push? Are all children travelling in the 1 car to school - if so, only Milltown / Churchtown of the above list would be of help.

No negative is good - better to know before I'm stuck in a thirty min traffic jam every morning!

Plan was for kids to go in same car, but I can make alternative arrangements if that's not possible. I looked at houses in clonskeagh and stillorgan previously but my impression was that there wasn't much around and dundrum felt too far out from city (although prepared to be told otherwise)

• Advertisement

We've always lived in city centers so being close to amenities is really important

No, Dundrum is pretty much between Clonskeagh and Stillorgan - well - 3 angles of a triangle as such!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nixster wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback - seems on balance blackrock is preferable.

Athtrasna - that's a concern. Do you mean from a logistics perspective (deposits/signing agreements etc) or because agents won't take us seriously? We have a relocation agent helping us so I had assumed that would remove some of the problem although I have to say I visited last month and found property viewings to be a bit of a free for all!

Unlikely we will be relying on public transport for schools to start with. Children are still young and in a new country so will need some time before that is even an issue.

Blackrock is one of the most exclusive/poshest/nicest suburbs on the south side of Dublin. Demand will always succeed supply, so landlords can afford to be very picky & pretty much set their own criteria. It won't be impossible to secure accommodation from over seas, but you will be going up against people will show up on the door step of properties, 5 minutes after the listings go online, with reference letters from employers & former landlords, the deposit & the first months rent.

They are ready, willing and able to sign on the dotted line, there and then. They are generally able to move in (and start paying rent) fairly shortly after signing the lease agreement, as they don't need any wiggle room time to move themselves and their belongings from another country. They also have the advantage of being able to meet the landlord (or his letting agent) face to face, so he can get a feel for the kind of people that he is he is entrusting his property too.

I don't mean to put you off, and I am not sure what services your relocation agent is offering you, but he would want to be on the ball if you want to live in Blackrock.

This is all really helpful. ProudDUB thanks for advice. I'll make sure I have my employer reference ready to go.

Just to throw in another angle I've seen a great house in ballsbridge. Is a ballsbridge - blackrock & Milltown school run insane?!

As your children get older, Ballsbridge - Blackrock would be a doddle on public transport. Currently - you'd have to take into account what time the two school start - Ballsbridge to Blackrock could be 15 mins in the morning but Blackrock to Milltown could be 30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No negative is good - better to know before I'm stuck in a thirty min traffic jam every morning!

Thirty minute traffic jam, if only! Dublin traffic is bad to put it mildly. Not too bad during school holidays but during term time 30 minutes might get you less than 1km in some areas. You really need to think this move out, I'm not sure you can do enough research from outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Are your schools set in stone? I lived in most areas you're looking at and a Blackrock-Milltown double school run is a stuff of nightmares. Can you get the schools any closer together?
    Terenure would make it much worse... you need to live somewhere between the schools if you can't move them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Please clarify.... Are you planning to rent or buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd try switching schools if I was you. Doing a Milltown-Blackrock school is going to be very annoying no matter where you live really. The only way it won't be is if you live in the area of one of the schools. But even if you live in Blackrock getting to Milltown will be annoying as you'll be going with the traffic. At least Terenure to Blackrock can be against the traffic for large portions of it. Then if you pick somewhere in the middle you'll having to double back once you drop off one child.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I'm guessing you plan to have a girl in Alex and an boy in Willow Park.There are other schools in South Dublin but if that is the way you are going to go (you obviously have a bit of cash) Stillorgan would look like a good compromise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Just to throw in another angle I've seen a great house in ballsbridge. Is a ballsbridge - blackrock & Milltown school run insane?!

Yes, it would be fairly insane. These two posters are on the right track.
    mhge wrote: »
    Are your schools set in stone? I lived in most areas you're looking at and a Blackrock-Milltown double school run is a stuff of nightmares. Can you get the schools any closer together?
    Terenure would make it much worse... you need to live somewhere between the schools if you can't move them!
    Augme wrote: »
    I'd try switching schools if I was you. Doing a Milltown-Blackrock school is going to be very annoying no matter where you live really. The only way it won't be is if you live in the area of one of the schools. But even if you live in Blackrock getting to Milltown will be annoying as you'll be going with the traffic. At least Terenure to Blackrock can be against the traffic for large portions of it. Then if you pick somewhere in the middle you'll having to double back once you drop off one child.

I guess somebody who doesn't know a lot about Dublin has picked two schools - possibly Blackrock College for the boys and Alex for the girls - primarily on the basis of cost and prestige. I'd suggest rethinking this decision. You will be able to get two great schools much closer together without compromising on quality. If you're set on fee-paying schools, consider the mixed schools. Wesley College in Ballinteer has a great reputation, and has loads of family homes in Dundrum / Ballinteer / Rathfarnham easily accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, pick the part of Dublin that best suits your families life and lifestyle. There is more to life than short school runs. If you want the amenities and lifestyle of city centre living, than Ballsbridge would be perfect, as the city centre is virtually on your doorstep. It would be close to where you work too.

Milltown, Blackrock, Terenure, & your work location are not all in close proximity to each other. Regardless of where you eventually choose to live, you are not going to have a 5 minute commute to school A, another 5 minute commute to School B and, then a 5 minute commute to your job. Something, somewhere is going to have to give and, you are going to be looking at 30 minute (or more) commutes at some stage of your day.

So go with the part of Dubin that best suits all of your families needs. If it means you have to get up a bit earlier to do the schooL run, then c'est la vie. It's the price you'll have to pay, if you want to live, work and send your kids to school in different parts, of densely populated areas of the city.

Have you considered a short term let, for a couple of months, while you get to know the city better? Having to do two moves instead of one, would be a nightmare in the short term, but it may mean you'd find a long term home that would suit all of your needs better.

This is all really helpful - thanks. The move is what it is: my work is taking me to Dublin and we just don't have the opportunity to do more research "on the ground". I guess it's not ideal so we'll have to
    make the best of it.

Wesser - we're renting.

ProudDUB - we'd snatch up a short term let in a heart beat but not much on the market. But I like your advice that there is more to life than school runs - I certainly hope so!

And yes we have girls going to Alex and boys at Willow - the decision being driven, in first instance, by where had availability at short notice and could readily accommodate children moving from a non-Irish system. But I like both schools and feel we've made right decision so wouldn't be keen to make changes at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I dont know about spaces but have you considered St Andrew's in Booterstown. It takes both boys and girls and would have a lot of international students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Live in Ballsbridge; boys to Willow Park and girls to Rathdown. That way you will be driving against the traffic both ways, ie the bulnk of the commuters will be heading in the opposite direction. Otherwise, Ballsbridge to Blackrock and on to Milltown is not as insane a morning drive as some have suggested. Certainly better than living in Stillorgan/Clonskeagh/Mount Merrion and having to double back on yourself twice to drop them of at their separate schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah both kids in Andrews would be better, wouldn't be any harm asking at this stage anyway before you're fully committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

With the girls going to Milltown you should look more at places somewhere on/close to the Luas line - Ranelagh, Dundrum, Stillorgan would all be good options. The Luas stops in Milltown which is about a 10 second walk to the gates of Alex. You could easily drop them to the Luas station where you lived and that would help save a good bit of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Yeah both kids in Andrews would be better, wouldn't be any harm asking at this stage anyway before you're fully committed.

Or try the Childrens House in Stillorgan - mixed Montessori primary up to 6th class

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have seen a shuttle bus from Sydney Parade Dart Station to Alexandra College in the morning - can you check with the school re: this? If you could use that, it would make your morning run a lot more manageable. You could live in the Blackrock/Booterstown/Stillorgan/Donnybrook/Sandymount area then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

+1 here on the school change... dublin traffic is pretty hellish at times, and trying to get to both milltown and blackrock twice a day will take at least 2-3 hours out of the day of whoever it doing the school-runs... not ideal.

i also echo what someone else mentioned about the green luas line. alex college has a luas stop literally outside its front door. provided the girls aren't super young, just dropping them off at your local luas stop will make for an easy journey to school for them. you might even meet a friendly mum or dad who is happy to supervise them!

good luck with your move. i hope our city is kind to you and your family.

Advertisement