Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Used bike: Vehicle Reg Cert and Insurance Question

• 04-07-2016 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just want to ask for your experience buying a 2nd hand bike from a shop.

1. I will be getting the bike within the next three days as it was a trade in and needs to be serviced etc.

How should I proceed with the insurance?

I already got a few quotes for the bike model.

Should I call one of the insurance companies and register it for Tuesday just to be on the safe side (bear in mind I haven't paid the bike fully yet which will happen on the day when I pick it up) or should I leave it until the bike is ready for collection (which could be after 6 pm and insurance companies might be closed)?

2. When I hand over the money in the shop then should I receive the vehicle registration certificate or will the guys in the shop send it to Shannon?

Thanks a lot for your help:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I wouldn't insure it until I actually have it. You can always do the insurance online, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Most likely, they will send the log book to Shannon for you, and they will do the paperwork. I'm sure, if you ask, they will clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You can set the insurance to start when you collect it, so if you're going to collect it at 6, arrange insurance to start at 6 on that day (not before, as you don't know if someone isn't riding it in the meantime). You can do this any time.

They will send the log book to shannon, same as any other vehicle. If they're a dealer, they can just take the log book, otherwise make sure you fill it out and send it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

One more thing:

Would you go for third party only or third party fire and theft (value of bike is around €2k)? The difference would be €120 p.a.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

MSVforever wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

One more thing:

Would you go for third party only or third party fire and theft (value of bike is around €2k)? The difference would be €120 p.a.

Cheers.

Buy the level of insurance you can afford. Personally I think people are mad buying TPFT on a bike policy. The replacement or repair of the bike is the least of your worries if you have an accident. Do you have separate life and medical insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Another option might be to just get the bike delivered, if they'll do that. Makes things simpler for the timing of getting tax/insurance.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

I currently have no private health or life insurance.
    Might have get life insurance to calm down my wife :D
    What kind of insurance have you got?

Unfortunately they don't deliver. I just saw that Liberty have the option to insure you online. Bike is already taxed till next year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Buy the level of insurance you can afford. Personally I think people are mad buying TPFT on a bike policy. The replacement or repair of the bike is the least of your worries if you have an accident. Do you have separate life and medical insurance?

But what if the bike is stolen / damaged sitting at home?

Personally the level of insurance would depend on the financial circumstances and the value of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gerrowadat wrote: »

I'm not so sure, at this price level. Between policy excess, and what it would do to your NCB for a 2k bike, I'd save the €120.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks guys.
    I went for third party theft and fire. I think this is reasonable enough.

So picked up my bike yesterday afternoon and drove it back to work. As this was my first time on the road after completing IBT I felt quite anxious but it was fun at the same time. I have to work on my cornering though :o

MSVforever wrote: »
    As this was my first time on the road after completing IBT I felt quite anxious but it was fun at the same time. I have to work on my cornering though

Take it slow. Practice corners, u-turns, slow riding in a quiet/empty car park. Plenty around, especially near the industrial areas. Build up your practice on the quiet roads and then you will feel more comfortable taking the bike in to traffic. Been there, done that. It's just a matter of practice and confidence.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paulw.

I will definitely practice more in an industrial estate at the weekend. Ballymount should be quiet enough on a Sunday morning and I won't be disturbing anybody. Might even drive down to Citywest Luas car park which was deserted when we were doing our IBT:D

If you're near citywest, then there is an empty (overflow) carpark, just passed SAP, heading along Kingswood Ave, towards Kingswood Road.

It's almost always empty or practically empty, so a nice big space to use.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B017'41.6%22N+6%C2%B025'09.2%22W/@53.294887,-6.4198712,201m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.294887!4d-6.419221?hl=en

Thanks Paulw. That's exactly what I need.

Advertisement