Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of windscreen replacement

Options
  • 04-07-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi I was hoping someone has an idea of the price of replacing the front windscreen on my car.

It's a Honda Civic and it has a long crack but the crack can't be felt on the inside.
    Anyone know how much it would be to replace and where in the Limerick area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Check your insurance policy for windscreen replacement. Most policies allow free* repair without losing your no claims.

* I say free but with 123.ie (possibly others) when renewing they ask have you had any claims for windscreen in the last 5 years.
    When I ticked yes....for giggles......the premium went up by €30 so they make the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanemib

I don't think I am covered unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will have to ring around. Mention that you will be paying for it yourself rather than going through your insurance company as prices can vary. You are probably talking between €200 and €400.

On a side note its always worth having windscreen cover on your policy, might cost about €50 extra on your annual premium but worth it compared to the price of replacing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanemib

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will have to ring around. Mention that you will be paying for it yourself rather than going through your insurance company as prices can vary. You are probably talking between €200 and €400.

Thanks, I must start ringing so.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    On a side note its always worth having windscreen cover on your policy, might cost about €50 extra on your annual premium but worth it compared to the price of replacing it yourself.

I will remember that next time thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

A while back the windscreen on the wifes Ka developed a crack and was replaced by the insurance but with an excess of £50 to her. Fair enough, not com[laining.

When I was chatting to the fitter he told me that they got £100 to fit a screen no matter what the car was. His firm had done a Mercedes SLS and a Lambo, which model I ca't remember, in the previous week. The SLS screen had been £1900 and the Lambo screen £3500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

shanemib wrote: »
    Hi I was hoping someone has an idea of the price of replacing the front windscreen on my car.

It's a Honda Civic and it has a long crack but the crack can't be felt on the inside.
    Anyone know how much it would be to replace and where in the Limerick area?

Thanks.

Where ever you get it done - watch out for the quality of the glass - I could have been unlucky - but I had it replaced 5 times until I got one that was usable.

I used two garages recommended by insurance company...big names you see often.

1. They put in glass with no bonded hook to attach the mirror
    2. They put in Green tinted glass (other windows were clear - dangerous)
    3. They put in Blue tinted glass - (said only one available for my model)
    4. They put in clear but very visibly wobbley glass that road markings were so distorted it was making me dizzy it was so bad.
    5. Went elsewhere and they put in perfect glass but the wrong beading (rounded not flat) so it makes a whistling noise when driven at high speed - left it at that - close enough :/

“Roll it back”

Advertisement