Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain reaction cycles prices

Options
  • 04-07-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Just looking on the site there. Two different prices in GBP for Ireland and UK. 105 group was £284 for the UK and £301 for Ireland. Might be useful if you have parcel motel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Shouldn't be VAT, we don't pay VAT within the EU, and since they are still in the EU for now that shouldn't be the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Shouldn't be VAT, we don't pay VAT within the EU, and since they are still in the EU for now that shouldn't be the case.

Different rates of vat maybe? Amazon charge Irish vat for delivers to Ireland and UK vat to delivers in the UK

I was buying from amazon.co.uk the other day and it was a quid extra; when i asked them why, they said it was because the Irish VAT rate was higher on the thing I was buying. (Howja mean we don't pay VAT within the EU? I pay VAT on everything I buy, other than food and printed books!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Irish VAT rates and UK VAT rates are different. If a company sells above a certain amount to another EU country they have to charge the VAT rate of destination country. Happens on Amazon all the time.

• Advertisement

This helmet is 39.99stg when you select the UK as your country:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-syncro-road-helmet-2015/rp-prod113857

62.99stg when Ireland is the country.

That is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That is ridiculous!

Helmets in the UK are VAT free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi Folks,

EU Distance Selling rules mean that if the vendor sells more 35,000 of goods or services to Irish customers in a single year they have to register for (and charge) Irish VAT for sales to Irish customers. http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/distance-sales-eu.html

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

i use an posts addresspal service when ordering items from the UK. If a company offers free delivery within the UK or the price is greatly increased because it has to come here, for me its a no brainer!

www.addresspal.anpost.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bloggsie wrote: »
    i use an posts addresspal service when ordering items from the UK. If a company offers free delivery within the UK or the price is greatly increased because it has to come here, for me its a no brainer!

www.addresspal.anpost.ie

Parcel Motel is better provided it fits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

godtabh wrote: »

Parcel Wizard is better as it's actually delivered to you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

godtabh wrote: »

That's provided you live close to a locker

traprunner wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard is better as it's actually delivered to you :P

Not really ,many people prefer parcel motel as they can collect after work without having a missed delivery at home

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

One thing worth noting and which I learned from a different thread here is that helmets are zero vat rated in UK, so if you buy from UK online seller and with parcel motel address you can make a decent saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

ted1 wrote: »
    Not really ,many people prefer parcel motel as they can collect after work without having a missed delivery at home

But they will deliver to your work for you. You can have multiple addresses set up and direct the parcels to wherever you will be on the day of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Can there be a situation where customs may hold the parcel until vat is paid? I've heard of this happening with the likes of electronic goods from china

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

That is ridiculous!

Even at that, vat @23% doesn't bring it close to £62.99

thehamo wrote: »
    Can there be a situation where customs may hold the parcel until vat is paid? I've heard of this happening with the likes of electronic goods from china

Not coming from the UK. Forgetting the whole brexit thing for the moment. There is no customs charges for importing goods from the EU/UK for now. Others mentioned on thread that some sellers who sell over 35,000 items to Ireland must pay Irish VAT, but that is in the sellers hands. So in short no. You will not have items held coming from CRC or Wiggle or the likes.

But if you ordered from China, you will generally have a post man asking your for cash at the door and they can hold the items if it is unpaid.

Not coming from the UK. Forgetting the whole brexit thing for the moment. There is no customs charges for importing goods from the EU/UK for now. Others mentioned on thread that some sellers who sell over 35,000 items to Ireland must pay Irish VAT, but that is in the sellers hands. So in short no. You will not have items held coming from CRC or Wiggle or the likes.

But if you ordered from China, you will generally have a post man asking your for cash at the door and they can hold the items if it is unpaid.

Not really in the seller's hands; if you buy something and VAT hasn't been paid, it may be stopped and VAT charged, or you may get a bill later for the VAT. I've had this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Customs may contact you in regards to an item sent from outside the EU in regards customs charges issued against the item, there should not be any charges issued on any item sent from within the EU.

• Advertisement

Actually, yes, it might have been coming from America when I was charged.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Not really in the seller's hands; if you buy something and VAT hasn't been paid, it may be stopped and VAT charged, or you may get a bill later for the VAT. I've had this happen.

Not with goods from within the EU

Advertisement