Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Card in UK

Options
  • 04-07-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'll be purchasing a car in either England or Northern Ireland in the coming weeks and have a couple of questions:
    Is there any limit on a one time POS purchase or just what is in my account(visa debit card)?
    If I'm paying in sterling where can I see the rates for the day?  
    Will I have to alert BOI before hand if i'm carrying out a large purchase abroad? 

Thanks.
    Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'll be purchasing a car in either England or Northern Ireland in the coming weeks and have a couple of questions:
    Is there any limit on a one time POS purchase or just what is in my account(visa debit card)?
    Will I have to alert BOI before hand if i'm carrying out a large purchase abroad? 

Thanks.
    Kieran
    Hi Kieran,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

There is no limit on how much you can spend using your Visa debit Card at the point of sale. The retailer may need to call the bank to get authorisation for larger amounts.

The exchange rates when using your Visa debit card abroad is set by Visa, the rates are available on Visa 
    website.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Hi,

Thanks.
    Kieran
    Hi Kieran,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

There is no limit on how much you can spend using your Visa debit Card at the point of sale. The retailer may need to call the bank to get authorisation for larger amounts.

The exchange rates when using your Visa debit card abroad is set by Visa, the rates are available on Visa 
    website.

Thanks,

Tara C
    Hi Tara,
    When I try to get a quote off the Visa website there is a currency conversion fee that charged by the issue.  What percent is this?  Or is it limited to 11.43 as per this?

also one more follow up question- Most garages will only allow you to drive away once the funds are in their account.  Is there any delay possible or should it be a matter of doing a POS transaction, then confirming over the phone and the the garage will have the funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

also one more follow up question- Most garages will only allow you to drive away once the funds are in their account.  Is there any delay possible or should it be a matter of doing a POS transaction, then confirming over the phone and the the garage will have the funds?
    Hi Kieran

Thanks for coming back to us.

You can find info on the rate here on the Visa Website. It seems they also have an App you can download to check rates etc.

There is a cross border charge from BOI when using your card for a currency other than Euro. These charges can be seen here on page 11-Visa Debit. As it's a Visa Debit point of sale,  the charge is 2% of transaction value with a Maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.

Usually once the payment is taken successfully by card, the receiver would acknowledge this as paid. It might be best to check this is the case with the garage you are purchasing from.

We hope the information is helpful, get in touch again if you have any further questions,

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi Kieran

Thanks for coming back to us.

You can find info on the rate here on the Visa Website. It seems they also have an App you can download to check rates etc.

There is a cross border charge from BOI when using your card for a currency other than Euro. These charges can be seen here on page 11-Visa Debit. As it's a Visa Debit point of sale,  the charge is 2% of transaction value with a Maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.

Usually once the payment is taken successfully by card, the receiver would acknowledge this as paid. It might be best to check this is the case with the garage you are purchasing from.

We hope the information is helpful, get in touch again if you have any further questions,

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Think that's everything answered.  Thanks very much, very helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement