Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Unlikely as they have a strict no littering policy or instant DQ. specific drop zones are set out on the course.

Well there were several strewn around after last year's, so not sure how well that worked....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cython wrote: »
    Well there were several strewn around after last year's, so not sure how well that worked....

several?? :eek: Lodge a compliant with them but also don't forget the park is used by all sorts for training and events. cyclists included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Broke a spoke this morning so called it quits after 34km. Took it nice and easy so was amazed to see I averaged 26km/h. I was expecting 22 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tackled the same hill for the last 3 weeks and managed a PB each week. delighted. this time last year the only thing that stopped me getting off and walking was the shame of being seen walking up. slowing making my way up to stay with the big boys for longer and longer each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bumpy 71k at a measly 21kph, 1300m of climbing,.

Home - Bohernabreena - cunard - sally gap - kilbride camp - ballinascorney - cunard again - home

Nearly got completely wiped out by a van on the reservoir rd between the line and cunard. Braking only caused the back wheel to go all over the shop, aimed the bike for the hedge rather than the van and squeezed by. Dangerous narrow roads and gravelly surface, could have made that a lot worse

https://www.strava.com/activities/675585296

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Flat 69km out via Malahide, Swords, Ashbourne and Kilbride. 25kph average, forgot the bloody hurling was on so got stuck in some fun traffic once I hit town. Brings me to 2,000km for the year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675658426

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Gave Kilmashogue Lane a shot for the first time today. I've been meaning to for a while seeing as it's only 3k from my house. **** me. Overall, it's not as bad as I was expecting, but some of the ramps are definitely the steepest I've ever ridden. Had to stop before I got to the top, thought I was going to have a heart attack. I'm raging, because now that I look at Google maps, I probably got to within 200m of the top of the paved section. I'll have to go back and get to the top some day.

Also, I love descending, but coming down that road was probably the most nervous I've ever been on a bike. Locked up the rear wheel at one point

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also, I love descending, but coming down that road was probably the most nervous I've ever been on a bike. Locked up the rear wheel at one point

Main reason I don't do it more often is its a lot of climbing for a less than joyous descent, always feel a bit cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭koutoubia

So for the first time today I saw it. Yep coming down a descent that can get tricky and a guy in front of me sits on his toptube ala Froome in the Tour.
    Oh dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

170km today. Longest spin to date. Myself and one other. Needed a long spin before the Giant's Causeway sportive in September.
    Cycle included the Minaun climb. 3rd time up it. It's horrendously difficult. 75km done before the climb didn't help matters either. Heavy mist falling on it too and couldn't really see very clearly for a lot of the descent. Thankfully the sheep stayed out of the way.
    The climb left us pretty shattered but a can of coke and chocolate bar in Mulranny gave us a second wind.
    Great to get the km under my belt. Bit of a wake up call. The sportive in Antrim ain't going to be easy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675759972/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin en route to Ros a Mhil to collect son from Gaeltacht

Ballydangan via the Blooms from Leixlip, tried a route to keep to L roads (Audax style) as much as possible. 184Km , punctured on the 2nd climb Glendine .
    met very few cyclists after Edenderry? weird sort of weather..never got warm apart from on the climbs ( and after wrestling the conti back on the DT swiss R23 spline rim!!) big black clouds which didn't burst luckily, a bit of sunshine after Shannon Harbour

https://www.strava.com/activities/675941170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Hit the Cooley Mountains. First time anywhere mountainous. Went from Dundalk - Jenkinstown - Long Woman's Grave - Davy's Pub just north of Omeath - Carlingford - Mullaghboy - Long Woman's Grave - Jenkinstown - Ravensdale and then back to Dundalk.

The hill out of Jenkinstown towards the Long Woman's Grave is probably the toughest I've experienced. The approach from Mullaghboy is much easier.

Almost ran into a flock of mountain sheep on one downhill. There were about 15-20 on the road after a bend. I wasn't expecting them at that part of the mountain as I've driven it many times and they were never so low.

71.35km
    2 hours 49 min
    677m elevation
    25.3 kph average

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Out to Howth for a spin after work, tried the Howth side climb for the first time, it's tougher alright but seems very short compared to the Sutton cross side. Once you get halfway up the gradient drops a fair bit, or just feels like it after the first half.

Then I decided to find one of the roads mentioned in the thread a couple of months back. Sheilmartin Road onto St Fintans, turning the corner from one to the other was a "Mother of God" moment, it looks like the road just goes straight up. It's a narrow road and as I reach the bend a car comes towards me but luckily he was pulling into a driveway.

So I guess it's "keep right at the church" next time I'm out that way so.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675948241

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

retalivity wrote: »
    Bumpy 71k at a measly 21kph, 1300m of climbing,.

Home - Bohernabreena - cunard - sally gap - kilbride camp - ballinascorney - cunard again - home

Nearly got completely wiped out by a van on the reservoir rd between the line and cunard. Braking only caused the back wheel to go all over the shop, aimed the bike for the hedge rather than the van and squeezed by. Dangerous narrow roads and gravelly surface, could have made that a lot worse

https://www.strava.com/activities/675585296

The Tallaght Reservoirs are no place for fast descending. I do them a fair bit and you have to be uber cautious. Expect the unexpected, a car/4x4 at anytime.

Still a great route though.

The Tallaght Reservoirs are no place for fast descending. I do them a fair bit and you have to be uber cautious. Expect the unexpected, a car/4x4 at anytime.

Still a great route though.

Yeah they're grand going up, nice and tight and twisty. Wouldn't fancy hitting it on a fast descent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

112k lunch run to Glendalough via Roundwood and back to town via Sally Gap and some backroads around Blessington.

I was absolutely frozen 80% of the time despite having long sleeved jersey with a base layer. Ended up riding good bit with my raincape on which probably made it worse as I was then freezing and sweating at the same time. Need to dig deeper into my closet for some gear that's more appropriate for the season and accept the fact that summer starts to be over-ish :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/675849424

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

devonp wrote: »
    Sat spin en route to Ros a Mhil to collect son from Gaeltacht

Hope he is small enough to fit on the crossbar for the return trip.
    brianomc wrote: »
    So I guess it's "keep right at the church" next time I'm out that way so.

...and then back to Howth from Sutton via Windgate Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭devonp

Hope he is small enough to fit on the crossbar for the return trip.

team car for that job :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hauki wrote: »
    I was absolutely frozen 80% of the time
    looks like it was 3C cooler than in NCD, where i was taking it easy yet sweating like a pig with the humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Tour of East Meath today with a buddy. Went off fast, spent a fair bit of time at the front of the group I was in, didn't pass much heed to my fluids and paid for it. I was doing grand till about 70 km, reached into my pocket for a bar and dropped my inhaler. I stopped and went back and shouted at my mate to keep going, I'd catch him. I gave it full welly for a couple of km, just about caught up to him and then the cramps hit. First the Ham then the Quad. I spent a few minutes sitting on the ditch getting stretched out and headed off at a slower pace with another lad who was passing. Every time I tried to give it some effort and my HR went above 160 my quad started to pulse and bulge. I looked a bit like that 80s TV show Manimal.
    The plus side was having a nice chat with a real sound chap for the last 20 odd km back to the finish.
    The weather was perfect for cycling and the route was great although the last part was very lumpy with a real short leg breaker right at the end.

99k in 3;24 with 878m climbing
    https://www.strava.com/activities/675669387

I had said to my mate that seeing as my Beloved and our little darlings are away for a few days, I was going to get some grub and then head back for a spin up to Kippure as I wanted to do some climbing with decent mileage in the legs to help prepare for some big spins I intend on doing next month on holidays. Got home, ate some grub and dozed off on the couch. Woke up just before 5.
    Kippure? Nope.
    Went out for a gentle 30km instead to try and spin out the lactic and got some more grub and now I'm going for a pint.
    Quads still dodgy. Need more fluids ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

looks like it was 3C cooler than in NCD, where i was taking it easy yet sweating like a pig with the humidity.
    Today there probably was some malfunctions in my head and in my body :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Pootled out to Dun Laoghaire and was puzzled that even more cyclists than usual seemed to be whizzing past me. Somewhere around Blackrock stopped and thought about it, stood on a pedal to spin the wheel and the wheel said

Wheeee-ppp

and stopped after about two spins. I looked closely; sure enough, when I'd put the puncture-mended wheel back on, it had somehow tightened up the brakes (how does that happen?) and they were rubbing. Made it out to Dun Laoghaire and a reviving bowl of Tom Yum soup. Set off home, heart in boots. In Monkstown stopped to let the kindest woman in Ireland drive out of her laneway, and we somehow got into conversation. She offered me the use of her husband's bike tools. Moved the brake shoes back half a centimetre so the wheel was going

Wheeeeeeeeeee

and made it home, shattered but with enough energy to roast a chicken over veggies and make a nice raw garlic dipping sauce.

May that woman be forever blessed in the mouths of cyclists. Tania, blessed be her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Sat.. headed from house to Kilmuckridge. Ballygarret on to courtown. Took a right turn on road to gorey and headed for Ballymoney. Then headed out on old n11, left for Gorey..ballycanew. killenagh home.
    47 km Avg 25.5kph

Today. Headed for killenagh ballycanew..Gorey, out old n11 to inch...Arklow and on out to woodenbridge. Headed back to Arklow and took left turn that brings you around by Arklow rock..Castletown, on around base of Tara hill to Ballymoney, courtown, up to Ballygarrett, right turn at peigs bar up to killenagh and home.
    84km Avg 25.3kph

Came across a start of a race in Inch today..think it was a GP on the old n11 most likely organised by South East Road club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cycled to work this morning, just felt drained the whole way in and my back was aching with every rotation of the pedal.
    Going to hit the gym at lunch to do a yoga class

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I navigate this section of road on my daily commute to work, Sheriff Street Upper. The road narrows to a pinch point at the dart station, and the surface is bad over the bridge:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.35056,-6.24019,3a,66.8y,86.1h,84.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seivTd6nDfx1-87cDJ9z5Rw!2e0

You must stay out in the lane, as the path comes out (for some reason), and additionally the road surface is poor. Here's what happened me today:

That's twice in the last year I've had it happen. I stick my arm out to indicate, but now I wonder if I should at all. Muppets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Regular lunch time spin up Crugh - Foxes - Kilternan and home. Fantastic weather out in the hills, for those with any chance of getting out for a spin this evening, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Muppets.

That's a perfect example of muppetry all right. I think I'd be sharing that incident with Trafficwatch.

I know that stretch well and the surface is awful - you can see it clearly in your video anyway.

170km and 1,280m of climbing. Decided it would be a great idea to follow the Dodder from bottom to top and the Liffey from top to bottom (well as close as the roads will allow).

Needless to say I'm bushed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/677232173

I navigate this section of road on my daily commute to work, Sheriff Street Upper. The road narrows to a pinch point at the dart station, and the surface is bad over the bridge:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.35056,-6.24019,3a,66.8y,86.1h,84.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seivTd6nDfx1-87cDJ9z5Rw!2e0

You must stay out in the lane, as the path comes out (for some reason), and additionally the road surface is poor. Here's what happened me today:

That's twice in the last year I've had it happen. I stick my arm out to indicate, but now I wonder if I should at all. Muppets.

Presume you usually head for Eastpoint? In that case I prefer going down the quays slightly further and heading up New Wapping Street to take you up East Road. Much less idiocy that the Guild Street/Sherrif Street route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

koutoubia wrote: »
    So for the first time today I saw it. Yep coming down a descent that can get tricky and a guy in front of me sits on his toptube ala Froome in the Tour.
    Oh dear!
    My first sighting last evening - commuter on the short descent from Pinnock Hill into Swords. Lying on the top tube and pedalling Froome style.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement