Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just fitted in an 18.5k this evening. Dark but a full moon with a slight patchy fog. Cycling up to the top of a hill, I could see the lights of Athlone in the distance, the moon was beaming down onto a layer of fog just hovering a couple of metres above the ground with some trees peeking through. Fresh air, dry and beautiful view(in the dark). Gotta love it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Eamonnator wrote: »
    On the way home home this morning, one of our group touched a wheel and came down, we were about 20k from home. There was a car directly behind us. The driver, a woman on her own, stopped. The rider had banged his head(broke his helmet) and was a bit shaken up. We decided, that he shouldn't ride any further. The driver insisted on driving pal to Drogheda, she wouldn't hear of him waiting for somebody to collect him. I think, it's wonderful that there are still such people around.
    I brought his bike to a nearby pub and asked the landlord, if I could leave the bike there to be collected later. I told him briefly what had happened. He didn't ask any questions, just said "hold on there and I'll unlock the side gate"
    My faith in human nature is confirmed.
    Glad to hear he's okay. Quodos to the driver, and indeed the publican for helping out.
    On a lighter note this springs to mind.
    b8b51c4ca39007c350f8a73232dd50e5--motorcycle-humor-bike-humor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It seems I'm a 'bully' according to a member of the public that I encountered on my commute home tonight.

I was stopped at the traffic lights at Murray's pub in Lusk when 2 small dogs decided to have a go at me while their owner watched. In my usual spirit of being the world's greatest dog-hater, I immediately retaliated with a good squirt of cold water over the faces of each runt resulting in the owner declaring me to be a 'bully'. I'm only sorry now that I didn't give her the same treatment.

(I only realised after the lights went green that the car waiting immediately behind me was a Garda patrol car. Probably just as well that I didn't give the obnoxious owner a squirt!)

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ... he'll need new bar tape.
    ...and a new helmet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

It seems I'm a 'bully' according to a member of the public that I encountered on my commute home tonight.

I was stopped at the traffic lights at Murray's pub in Lusk when 2 small dogs decided to have a go at me while their owner watched. In my usual spirit of being the world's greatest dog-hater, I immediately retaliated with a good squirt of cold water over the faces of each runt resulting in the owner declaring me to be a 'bully'. I'm only sorry now that I didn't give her the same treatment.

(I only realised after the lights went green that the car waiting immediately behind me was a Garda patrol car. Probably just as well that I didn't give the obnoxious owner a squirt!)

...and a new helmet!

That's frickin hilarious, I'd love to have seen that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Valleymount to Roundwood via the Wicklow Gap and back yesterday.
    Soaked to the top of the Gap on the way over, then the weather improved massively for the run to Roundwood. Two different world's weather-wise on either side of the Gap.
    68km in total, avg 25.7, not bad as the headwind going back over the Gap was very strong, along with a driving rain which was again unreal once I summitted. soaked as bad as I've been in a long, long time.
    Worth it tho for the french toast in Sugar Mountain in Roundwood, which is simply sensarional! Try it if you haven't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

51km around NCD this morning. Only met one other cyclist, oddly. Lovely morning for it, no rain and relatively no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Someone tried to get off his bike and fight me after I told him not to run red lights.

His intimidation attempt was a bit lessened by him falling over his bike and cycling off with his flabby arse swinging in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Someone tried to get off his bike and fight me after I told him not to run red lights.

His intimidation attempt was a bit lessened by him falling over his bike and cycling off with his flabby arse swinging in the wind.
    And how far exactly did you cycle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

Had a good one on the commute this evening. Passed out a lady on the Clonkeen Road and when I got to the N11 at Cornelscourt the light was red. Two minutes later I hear a voice behind asking whether I was going straight ahead or turning left. Left, I says, assuming the nice lady was going to ask that she could move up so that she would be ahead of the left turning traffic to go straight on given both lights go green simultaneously. "Eh, would you not just go?" It actually caught me by surprised for a second - the light is red I replied. So what. And on she went up on to the footpath. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

30km in the scruffy roads around Dunshaughlin, out by Swainstown up Tara and home by Dunsany. Thought my tyre was rubbing on the way back, stopped to check and the rear pad was rubbing on the disc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you cycle much on that stretch of road between skryne and ratoath?
    i came down that road on a lovely balmly evening last summer, and it was a lovely spin - but someone warned me that i must have done it on a quiet day as it's usually quite busy, especially when tayto park is open.

I cut across it at points but mostly stay off that stretch also from Curragaha to Rathfeigh is a notorious stretch when shift ends for workers in Tayto park, narrow road and angry people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just the usual 19 Km ride to work. Last day of shift and I feel quite jaded having cycled 5 of the 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bloody windy this morning. Just put the head down and spin the gears. It wasn't so bad. Looking forward to the return journey, I should hit a new record time home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Snow this evening heading up by the blue light with the lowest temp reading of -3.1 in Glencullen.....headwind from Jonny foxes back to view point with my ears peeking out the top of my snood was the only concern thankfully..
    Not very stormy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

left the house this morning, the internet told me it was 6 degrees. left work, the internet told me it was 6 degrees. one six degrees had me sweating, the other had me placing my hands on the bars to deal with hints of encroaching numbness.

40km yesterday in 1' but the new Galibier barrier gloves are fab

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

All the way to the garage and back, too cold, total distance 29.5mts, avg speed 3kph....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Another GCN training video today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No muck, no rain but baltic cold out still an enjoyable 4 hrs of Z2/Z3 spin with a club mate.

Fairly sure we passed Conor Dunne en route as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

No cycle for me ...but the club Santa cycle took place today...first one ever and didn't really know how it would work out .
    Anyways no need to worry 50+ kids with Adults , full Santa kits , lead van , rear pick up van . All singing christmas carols and completed the 5km route including a sprint finish �� Followed by hot chocolate and mince pies for all , and selection boxes for all the wee ones... huge success great excitement all round !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday , Did a meandering spin around Lucan, Newcastle and Celbridge and back home. Traffic around Lucan and surrounds is pure mental. Got lost about 5 times , landscape around there has changed vastly , went down a fair number of dead ends, that were once lanes but now houses and apartments.
    In the last 2 km I got a really bad spasm in my back :( , haven't had back issues for a good few years , in a jock, really bad night with it.
    Hopefully it will settle soon....

Over to Roundwood from Valleymount via the Wicklow Gap, yesterday, fast becoming my regular weekend spin.
    Took it slow going over, so I could assess the road conditions with the via to turning round if needed. But it wasnt too bad at all, no black ice, no wind and chilly but actually pleasant when climbing. Stopped in Roundwood for tea and a sambo, and grabbed a piece of cake for the way back. Flew up the Gap on the return, it was beautiful with the light dusting of snow on the lower slopes and full covering up above, stopped at the top to have my cake as a wee reward :) Stunning day out in a lot of ways, just reminds me what a beautiful area I have the privilege to cycle in. Its this that makes cycling for me.
    All in all 68.5km avergaing 25.2kmph.
    Took this photo at the top of the Gap on the way home, posted elsewhere, Im rubbish at photos but i really like this one.
    wicklow_gap_snow.jpg?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

21zt4o.jpg

Glencree yesterday - once the wheel ruts ran out, there was no further progress happening.

Annoyingly, nearly back at Crone Wood when a jeep (and a mini with L plates) head up the other way...I was tempted to turn around again, and use their new ruts...but was getting cold and a bit damp, despite 2 pairs of tights.

I've the heating on full whack here and I'm bloody freezing looking at those pictures !!!!!

brownian wrote: »
    21zt4o.jpg

Glencree yesterday - once the wheel ruts ran out, there was no further progress happening.

Annoyingly, nearly back at Crone Wood when a jeep (and a mini with L plates) head up the other way...I was tempted to turn around again, and use their new ruts...but was getting cold and a bit damp, despite 2 pairs of tights.

Did I see you going over the bridge at Valleymount by any chance yesterday?
    Cool picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Too chicken to cycle today. My daughter fell on her bum walking down the street, i swiftly put the bike back in the shed and grabbed the car keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

terrydel wrote: »
    Did I see you going over the bridge at Valleymount by any chance yesterday?
    Cool picture!

No, must have been some other hardy fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Too chicken to cycle today. My daughter fell on her bum walking down the street, i swiftly put the bike back in the shed and grabbed the car keys.

The pavements were lethal today. Much safer to cycle on the road ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The wind was relentless this morning. I had it full on for my entire commute, it felt as if it was following me, no matter what direction I was going. It took me 50% longer than usual and I was trying to push it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement