Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

An hour and a half on the turbo this morning, watched that BBC doc on Brailsford and Sutton.. what a horrible bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

2.5 hours out to Moycullen, round by the lake to Roscahill, back to Moycullen and across the hill to Spiddal, then the coast road home, no rain but lots of surface water and a westerly breeze... 63km

https://www.strava.com/activities/1315886317

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First time out in a fortnight for various reasons. 43km total around NCD. Absolutely brilliant day for it. Would have made for some fantastic photos, especially around the estuary at Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Slackened off the commuting recently, but engine failure of my shed has forced me back on the bike since Friday for work. Was decent enough weather spinning in around 2.15 today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Haven't cycled since summer, had some fee time yesterday & was going to read the paper. As it was mild for my bike out, pumped up tyres & went for a spin. Nothing too taxing, just a loop from Lackagh to Claregalway and nice windy back road returning to Lackagh. Reminded me that I love cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A leisurely 230k for me today on a route around the Co Dublin border counter-clockwise. Started with the boundries with Meath, Kildare and Wicklow before moving up along the east coast. Tried to stick as close as possible to the state line but took a few wrong turns. Happy enough with the way it panned out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1318859589

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but managed to get out on the (new to me, fairly worn by others) cross bike for a gravel/ trail spin. Kind of trying to follow part of the Weevil, but more Avonmore Way from Trooperstown, and then looped back into the woods the other side of the Moneystown/ Rathrum road. Very enjoyable way to spend a mid morning/ early afternoon.

I've a few conclusions...
    1) The full weevil must have been nuts!
    2) Bike is very over geared, for me, for the off road climbs
    3) I could do with a bike computer with navigation, as trying to do it off a phone in the back pocket was a bit of a disaster, and top tube cables meant I couldn't go top tube bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A leisurely 230k for me today on a route around the Co Dublin border counter-clockwise. Started with the boundries with Meath, Kildare and Wicklow before moving up along the east coast. Tried to stick as close as possible to the state line but took a few wrong turns. Happy enough with the way it panned out.

I passed you on Confey road near the turn for Leixlip.
    You had an orange kit on?
    You might have spotted my Madison Genesis bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Back in the saddle after a heavy cold killed my motivation.
    School run this morning was ok.
    Street sweeper has pushed all the debris into the cycle lane ( don't think that's how they're supposed to work?)

And an angry man in a golf wasn't willing to let me and the trailer cross to the right hand turning lane, even tho the junction was red for both of us and letting me cross would only require him to not accelerate into the rear of the stopped car ahead. Anyway, he decided to work with physics and slowed to let me out but gave me and the kids a few middle fingers.

Didn't see him again as I got the green while he was still stuck where I left him.

Other than that, uneventful and most are in Christmas spirit with a few waves for the kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Warm and calm today. Loved seeing the sunrise on the coast. Also got into some commuter racing on the way which was a bit of craic, it certainly kept my average speed up anyway. A nice start to the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Made a picture today to celebrate hitting my distance target for 2017 (albeit a smaller target then a lot of people on here)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1319546992

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fergus Cooke, whoever he is, got it right.
    I'm delighted to see, that you've annexed a bit of Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I passed you on Confey road near the turn for Leixlip.
    You had an orange kit on?...
    Didn't realise it was yourself. Hope I nodded or gave a wave.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    ...I'm delighted to see, that you've annexed a bit of Meath.
    I had to encroach on adjoining counties now and again depending on which roads were nearest the county line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Didn't realise it was yourself. Hope I nodded or gave a wave.

I was well covered up so it would have been hard to see my face. The freezing fog I'd went through in a few places kept it cold around there.
    You actually gave one of the better waves I've received while cycling. I must up my greeting game 😀.

I was going to turn around but hadn't the time.

I was roasted today on my 25k spin. Roads were absolutely mankey, even with mudguards on I was getting black crud off the road on me, need to have a fiddle with those tomorrow.

Even when I was walking the dog on the footpaths later in the day my jeans were filthy from drops being kicked off my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

All this heavy foggy, misty weather has its drawbacks. Need a few heavy downpours to wash the muck away followed by a stiff breeze to dry things out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got out for 46km as an extended lunchbreak today - out over howth, home via portmarnock and malahide. quite warm out.
    passed a motorist on the howth road driving with a small dog in her lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Last big cycle of the year for me yesterday. 200k "Winter Solstice Special" from stepaside to Wicklow Head & Brittas Bay via Annamoe, Roundwood. Then from Wicklow Head all the way to Howth Head and back via The Blue Light.

Was really cool being able to see Wicklow from Howth and Howth from Wicklow, knowing I had been there/would be there. Highly recommened route.
    Stops at Daybreak Brittas Bay and the Summit Store, Howth.

Link here:https://www.strava.com/activities/1322225086/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1513884536

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Out on the bike for the first time since September, went out to explore the Greenway from Westport towards Achill. Had to turn back before Mulrany as I was getting late to checkout at the hotel, around 48k in total. It's a fantastic facility. And despite a misty, foggy winters day with trail full of puddles and muck, I thoroughly enjoyed those couple of hours. I can imagine it would be great fun in summer.

48k, 2h 20m or so.

Cycled all of a 4.5km round trip to the hospital today to visit a newly born family member and doting new parents :)

Calls for an itty bitty new bike I think!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Suffering from back issues for the last 3 weeks and on my last spin 2 weeks ago I suffered a bitch of a spasm and only barely made it home.
    So to get out today for a 45 km spin was great. Out to blessington, roads as manky as ever in the usual damp mist that seems to be there permantly these days !
    Even got a puncture but luckily enough about 100 metres from my front door, walked it home !
    Avg 25 kph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

secman wrote: »
    walked it home !
    Avg 25 kph.
    that's a strange definition of 'walking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Suffering from back issues for the last 3 weeks and on my last spin 2 weeks ago I suffered a bitch of a spasm and only barely made it home.
    So to get out today for a 45 km spin was great. Out to blessington, roads as manky as ever in the usual damp mist that seems to be there permantly these days !
    Even got a puncture but luckily enough about 100 metres from my front door, walked it home !
    Avg 25 kph.

Unfortunately my back issue has flared up again :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Unfortunately my back issue has flared up again :(:(

Sorry to hear that. Take care with it. Anything involving soft tissue need loads of rest.

Blustery out there today. You could usually nearly freewheel from the top of the nags head to roganstown but I had to push hard to maintain my average speed. 55km, had to tack on a few k at the end to bring my year just over the 4k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First cycle since 14th. Had raspy throat, stuffed up, and trying to shake it off. Tried on my new Jersey on top of my base layer. Cool starting off, but grand once I got going. Skull cap kept the ears from falling off. Just 20km with Average speed of 25.2kph. Took it easy as the last 3 night were a bit of a Christmas binge with peeps calling over and very late nights. Really missed the cycling, hoping to get racing road bike early in New year😎 Hope ye all have a great new year🎉ðŸ»ðŸŽ‰ Goal is 5000km next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

went up stocking lane for the first time since october. haven't done much cycling recently so was slow, and very very windy, especially up around the featherbeds.

The amount of rubbish from featherbeds upwards is disgusting, obviously been a few people up there dumping their crap after xmas. Someone dumped an old CRT TV in the ditch right next to the viewpoint over the reservoirs, also saw microwaves, toasters and bags and bags of crap.
    deplorable

https://www.strava.com/activities/1333077455

retalivity wrote: »
    went up stocking lane for the first time since october. haven't done much cycling recently so was slow, and very very windy, especially up around the featherbeds.

The amount of rubbish from featherbeds upwards is disgusting, obviously been a few people up there dumping their crap after xmas. Someone dumped an old CRT TV in the ditch right next to the viewpoint over the reservoirs, also saw microwaves, toasters and bags and bags of crap.
    deplorable

https://www.strava.com/activities/1333077455

Beggars belief, likely took more effort and petrol to go up there and dump it than it would have to go to a recycling facility. Place near us you can get rid off almost anything you can imagine. You drive up to the gate pay your €3 and drop what you have in to the different areas, wood, plastic , metal and what not. Yet I can ride 5 minutes down the road and find stuff dumped illegally :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Too windy for the road bike*, so headed out to Ballinastoe on the new mtb. Began to get the confidence back near the end after being too brake heavy on bump and grind especially (tried to go with the flow a bit more on expressway).

Not saying I was ever great, but was kinda knowing weight wasn't far enough back on some sections, and the whole not focussing on the rock you want to avoid thing... No spills anyway!

*May have been an excuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A nice little 22km spin around Swords -> Rolestown -> Ballyboughal today. Got caught in one cold shower but nothing major. That wind was horrible to cycle on to but pure class when it was on your back. Not a bad way to end the year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement