Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A nice little 22km spin around Swords -> Rolestown -> Ballyboughal today. Got caught in one cold shower but nothing major. That wind was horrible to cycle on to but pure class when it was on your back. Not a bad way to end the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Another Christmas shake off, another 20k. Like above post, got caught in a shower, but a short one. Trying Strava for a change from map My Ride. I like the segments, gives you an extra incentive to push. 47 today and I never thought I'd be out cycling in the wind and rain, but I love it! Got some extra dosh because of that as well, so new bike fund nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I've done shag all cycling recently for various reasons. 155km in November, and up until today, about 38 odd for December.

I did however complete all the Strava Fondos for the year and as such had to head out today to attempt the December one. (or earlier in the month and not lastminute.com stuff)

I'm a Sap, basically.

Nothing but tenacity got me through today. Brutal head winds (I started at 6am) via Storm Dylan, and then miserable cold wet rain later. I think the worst part was heading out the Pier at Dun Laoghaire. Well holy be jaysus, the difference a few hundred metres from land made. It was BALTIC! And super windy.

I was also on my heavy winter bike and that didn't help ease the pain. Plus I am 1/10th heavier now that I was 5 months ago, which just added to the pain.

1/10th! That's a lot!

At least I don't smoke anymore.

Next year I will be going back to basics, just cycling for the pleasure of it, no more being a "willing/OCD" slave to it all.

Special props to the lad who, as my missus once put it.. "nearly took a rasher off me" at the Ballyboden/Taylors lane roundabout. though I am starting to think those signs we have on the "exits" of a lot of roundabouts might be questionable, what with being at drivers eye level...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2822148,-6.2975452,3a,75y,65.96h,93.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW3c1MWgwawIQ6x9z226cQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Note the van window.

Anyways... Happy New Year people, I hope you and your loved ones have a great 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

30km in the rain today(yesterday). Not much but at least I didn't finish with a zero. Looking forward to my first club spin in early 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Got 2018 off to a flying start.

13km Tour around a small farming village in North Vietnam. Dodging buses cars scooters and cows. Great craic.

On a unisex single speed squeaky brake bike with a giant basket on the front.

The wife who doesn’t like cycling had a great time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Happy new year to all, hopefully you'll all have a fantastic year in the saddle.

First cycle of 2018, and only cycle over the Christmas break! Went from Portmarnock up through Howth Village to the summit and back down again. I was relatively sheltered from the wind for the tough sections, but on the way down the wind was relentless. I was nearly blown off when I got down the other side of Howth hill and made it to the coast, when I broke out behind cover the wind side swiped me. Despite that it was a lovely spin, and I wasn't as slow as I thought I was going to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got out today for the first time in a couple of weeks. My back had been giving me a bit of bother and I didn't want to push it, also I just hadn't the motivation to get out until today.
    Nice and bright but blustery. Wasn't going to be killing myself so went up the canal from Longwood to Mary Lynches pub and back the main road through Kinnegad. There was a rotten headwind and absolutely no shelter on the way out but a glorious tailwind on the way home. Took a good KOM from a clubmate by over 20 seconds, delighted with that. Then less than two hours later the dreaded "You've lost your KOM" notification pops up, another mate snatched it by a second. The delight was short lived indeed!!

On the plus side, it was great to get out, the niggling back injury seems to be well on the mend, and the canal path is very close to completion. Once the Enfield to Furys stretch is open it will be a great amenity all the way from Dublin to Athlone.
    42 km in an hour and a half, 1 very fleeting KOM and a start to the year. Onwards and upwards :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1335887345

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've managed to out for the last 4 days but it's been a slog with a dose of man flu and relentless wind! Very tempted not to bother today but what sort of a start would that be to a new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First one of the new year this evening, only 29km but hey ho, away we go!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was quite cold in low lying pockets out there this morning. Loads of ice around roganstown but lovely and dry north of ballyboughal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Loads of ice around roganstown but lovely and dry north of ballyboughal.
    I thought that seemed a bit strange alright. On a 100k cycle the only ice we saw was just north of Roganstown.

Got my new bike yesterday:-D:-D:-D. 1st Road bike. Giant contend sl 1. Done 2 runs today. 1st 20k with mate who's trying to get back into it after a 2 month lay up. So took 52 mins. Went in, had a cup of tea and went out to do the same by myself, still getting used to the bike gearing and handlebars but pushed a wee bit to get a sweat up. Done it in 42.50 avge speed 28kph. New personal record on strava segment too:-) so 40k altogether today, and what a beautiful morning it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

My 1st spin of the new year and 1st spin on the road bike since September. Did a few spins on the MTB in Oct, Nov and Dec. Myself and a mate cycled from Letterkenny to Bridge end and back. 60 km approx. Temperature was between -5 and -3. Some dodgy icy stretches in places. But good to be back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It was savage cold setting out at 8.40am this morning and very nearly went back due to a slight tickly cough which is the tail end of a nasty virus thing I have since Xmas.

109.7 km (sickened) of cold kms later and I was broke up tbh, this was my first long spin since Dec 16th or so and boy I feel it now. Plenty of ice and suspects patches in hidden areas but thankfully none of us came down.

109.7km at 29km/avg, hopefully this illness is finally gone this week and I can push on for racing in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaysis it was beautiful out this morning. Quite cold, but it was so clear, I could see for miles! And the wind was behind me on my way into work which is a rarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Kicking myself for not getting out yesterday but got out for 56km around NCD today. Took a few new roads and was a bit lost but it all looked back ok in the end.
    Bit damp and miserable but I made it back before the rain started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Following a head cold before Christmas that became a chest infection after, it was great to finally get out on a decent spin yesterday. Out to Swords to meet the group, back roads to Drogheda via Bellewstown, mini-breakfasts in Lemonade before returning home on more back roads. If it hadn't been for the enforced break, it would have been a bit miserable - cold, wet and a nasty SE wind on the way home, but it was great to be out. At 99.7km approaching the house so did a few loops to get to my first 100 of 2018. They don't even show up on Strava thanks to my privacy zone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Following a head cold before Christmas that became a chest infection after, it was great to finally get out on a decent spin yesterday. Out to Swords to meet the group, back roads to Drogheda via Bellewstown, mini-breakfasts in Lemonade before returning home on more back roads. If it hadn't been for the enforced break, it would have been a bit miserable - cold, wet and a nasty SE wind on the way home, but it was great to be out. At 99.7km approaching the house so did a few loops to get to my first 100 of 2018. They don't even show up on Strava thanks to my privacy zone ;)
    It was fairly miserable alright. After dealing with FR's puncture, my heart wasn't in it anymore and I found it difficult to keep motivated. Took the short way home and ended up with a paltry 85k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

After the misery of Tuesday evening my outbound commute last night was a much more pleasant affair - Dry, not too windy and even some daylight left when I got home! Bring on the summer ..

First cycle on the new bike in the damp conditions. I need an ass saver, back end was destroyed, looked like i shat myself lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went out yesterday after work and did a paltry 30kms. Lost a lot of my fitness over Christmas with the amount I ate and drank. Got chatting to a taxi driver at a red light, he had all four windows down in his car, his last passenger had farted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Much nicer today than yesterday - drier and hardly any wind. Washed and lubed the bike before work as it was destroyed with muck and I couldn't get in the big ring yesterday. Also fitted the Durano plus tyres that I bought before Christmas - seem to roll nicely enough although they were tough enough to get onto the rim

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭devonp

really thick stuff out there on the commute home
    pea soup after the quays, Chapo Palmerstown Liff valley and around Lucan area
    had to remove my specs they were getting...steamed up in The Fog

how was it for you?

Was looking forward to getting on the bike all day. Then can hardly see in front of f me. Went anyway, wasn't too bad, but had to take glasses off to see as they fogging up, also got a puncture 4k from home, so herself was called into action. Must be 25 years since I last fixed a puncture. Ho hum, in to buy a spare tube tomorrow and it's bike wash day tomorrow too!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

had a good cycle the other day out towards swords but got a bad puncture on the malahide-swords road. couldnt fix it myself so started the long walk back to the train station as the last bike shop in malahide has now moved to portmarnock.

however, i had not noticed them before, but at the entrance to the park there is a little rental place http://www.irishcentreforcycling.ie/ who were more than happy to replace the tube and get me back on my way.

just want to give that little mention for anyone who might get stuck between portmarnock and swords.

and note to self - just carry a spare tube and forget about slime and repair kits when out and about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

First cycle in on a new commuter hybrid today. Well I say new - it was second hand but less than a year old and hardly used, to the point that the tyres still have the "hairs" on them from the molding process. Delighted with it - hydraullic discs, sora gearset, Orbea Vector 20. Also good value, especially since my cycle to work is 4 years from being renewed.

My previous hybrid has had its day, and rear freehub had gone. So I have been cycling in on my "old" road bike. Using it in the rain & fog this week was not ideal. Also it brought home to me just how badly it fits me, I hadn't been on it in a while. I also bought that bike second hand and the seller told me it was 54cm, which would be about right for me. I suspect it may even be more than 58cm, but it is at least that. It was the first road bike i had bought and i didn't realise how badly it fit me when trying it out before buying it. I have to stretch to put my hands on the hoods. I have a son who is >7" taller than I am, so he may get better use of it, or else maybe i should just sell it and get another cheap road bike more suited to my size. This is only a fallback anyway, I do have a good road bike that fits me perfectly as well as the new hybrid.

Anyway that badly fitting bike used this week just made the spin in on the new hybrid all the sweeter.

site_owner wrote: »
    and note to self - just carry a spare tube and forget about slime and repair kits when out and about :(
    Thinking the same thing. Picked up 2tubes 700x25 for €3.99 each in Planet X today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Spare tube x2, a puncture repair kit (small), a mini pump, Co2 cannister,a tyre boot, and inflator and tyre levers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Spare tube x2, a puncture repair kit (small), a mini pump, Co2 cannister,a tyre boot, and inflator and tyre levers ;)

i need more pockets...

whats a tyre boot? and whats an inflator (not a pump or co2?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i need more pockets...

whats a tyre boot? and whats an inflator (not a pump or co2?)

you can get these really small puncture repair kits...they have a few self sealing patches and a piece of sandpaper and that's it! whole thing is the size of say two 2 euro coins on top of each other.

a Tyre boot is simply a piece of plastic about the size of a credit card. you use it to reinforce a torn tyre wall...very handy to have one.

inflater is a co2 cannister inflator.

I keep all the above in a tool holder in one of my bottle cages..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/zefal-z-box-tool-holder-bottle-medium/rp-prod147331

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement