Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

secman wrote:
    Unfortunately back to the physio

Best of luck with the back secman, these things can be a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

secman wrote: »
    On each of the 3 bikes I have tried to use same reach, saddle height etc, but doing it myself.

Even if it is only to rule out the bike settings, it would be well worth getting a professional fit. Like others hereabouts, I would strongly recommend Aidan Hammond of Bikefitting Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Even if it is only to rule out the bike settings, it would be well worth getting a professional fit. Like others hereabouts, I would strongly recommend Aidan Hammond of Bikefitting Ireland.

+1 I'd pick one bike, get a bike fit and then only cycle that one bike for a few weeks. It's the only way to eliminate the bike as the cause of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The wind was fairly brutal this morning. I was heading south into Dublin city, and joined up with a cyclist on the Clontarf/Sutton track and we took turns battling the wind. It was nice, we managed a good pace in the end! No doubt I'll be blown home!

I only realised today that this time last year I got the keys to my first house, so I've been doing the Portmarnock/Fairview commute for a year now. So far so good, I do really enjoy it! Although January last year was a mess for storms and weather too, I'm sure there's plenty of windy days left in this winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

was windy alright! i did 20k down the malahide road and back up the coast. was a nice tailwind :)
    although there are more and more people walking (2 abreast no less!) in the cycle track. i mean, there are 3 paths to choose from and a fairly large chunk of grass. they all, apparently, have hearing problems also.

just after st annes i encountered a new one for me. a council van driving at around 30kph on the cycle track. he eventually got stuck behind some pedestrians so i got past him. but at least it gives me a chance to upload some footage from my new (to me) fly6

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

emptying the bins on the footpath, i guess?

yeah, i imagine he drove up emptying all the way and then just turned around and flew back.

but IMO vehicle seems too big, too fast and no warning lights or sounds to be doing 30kph up the narrow section of the cycle track.
    if a smaller vehicle was not available, he could also have drove up the road and walked the 10m to each of the 5 or 6 bins

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Love the chill attic air so went a did a few repeats in a local hill. Up and down I went and the snow started. I thought to myself what the flip am I doing out in 1 degree C doing reps. I must be mad. It just all became very real how my sanity is slipping away. You gotta love the bike. Made the most of a tailwind on a segment on the spin back to get a new PR

I pass that truck/van multiple times a week. Almost always stopped about halfway down the track, where I presume he enters. I guess they need some way to empty the bins. Whenever I've seen him moving he's coming against me and he stops and I move over to pass. No bother really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I only realised today that this time last year I got the keys to my first house, so I've been doing the Portmarnock/Fairview commute for a year now. So far so good, I do really enjoy it! Although January last year was a mess for storms and weather too, I'm sure there's plenty of windy days left in this winter!

.....a year on and you still haven't discovered the respite that is the Howth Road on a windy morning......... :p
    I pass that truck/van multiple times a week. Almost always stopped about halfway down the track, where I presume he enters. I guess they need some way to empty the bins. Whenever I've seen him moving he's coming against me and he stops and I move over to pass. No bother really.

I meet them quite a lot too and have never had any bother. Like you, they usually stop when they see you and they are usually rolling at a walking pace. In the morning they are usually south-bound and are usually on the pedestrian side, not the cycle lane.

• Advertisement

They must have a new lad because he was definitely up above 30kph and only slowed down for people who wouldn't move. Other than that he plowed on.

Anyway, not looking to annoy anyone or start an argument, just sharing what I saw. :)

.....a year on and you still haven't discovered the respite that is the Howth Road on a windy morning......... :p

I meet them quite a lot too and have never had any bother. Like you, they usually stop when they see you and they are usually rolling at a walking pace. In the morning they are usually south-bound and are usually on the pedestrian side, not the cycle lane.

Lol, I find a groove and stick to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good resistance training...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just a quick update, back with physio today and have decided to go for an MRI scan to see what exactly is the issue. Will most likely get a bike fit too and between it and MRI... hopefully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

secman wrote: »
    Just a quick update, back with physio today and have decided to go for an MRI scan to see what exactly is the issue. Will most likely get a bike fit too and between it and MRI... hopefully.

Very best of luck with the MRI and if they give you headphones at the start make sure they you're not stuck with Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

smacl wrote:
    Very best of luck with the MRI and if they give you headphones at the start make sure they you're not stuck with Joe Duffy!

Ah here, that's terrible, miserappalling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

smacl wrote: »

Joe would never fit in the MRI chamber with you TG.

Although, if he did, the headphones would come in to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

smacl wrote: »

The appointment time is 8:00am , I mentioned in the questionnaire that I was allergic to Joe, so they suggested an a.m. scan, to be sure. Thanks for the good luck message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Relatively uneventful but cold club spin today from Swords to Maynooth and back. As usual, we mainly stayed on quiet back roads and largely avoided main roads. On one narrow lane, a 4x4 came up quickly behind us. Before we even had time to think about singling out, he barged through in the narrow gap between the outside riders and the far ditch. There was no more than a 30cm gap between the handlebars and the car and his far wheels were up on the grass verge. The most ridiculous aspect of it was that this all happened in clear sight of a T-junction that was no more than 50m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Managed the usual 20k this evening, first 5/6k fingers were damn freezing, but then they warmed up:-) Met another cyclist and had a chat over a few k (think I'll be joining ing his club soon) before heading our separate ways. New pr on the way back:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First spin of the new year after a bout of sickness, cold but well wrapped up. Galibier gloves are so worth it in weather like this.

Drivers behaving themselves too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd mentioned here a while back I was struggling for motivation, in recent weeks I turned it around, my nutrition is on point, training a lot in the gym with Thai boxing, BJJ and boxing and the bike returned to me just after Christmas. Tonight it all came together, 50kms at max attack, the legs just spun for fun and feeling great getting off the bike. Adding a nice bike to the fleet this week too but that may not see the road until the weather improves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

55km around a very wet North County Dublin this morning.
    Swords - Rush - Skerries - Balbriggan -Naul - Ballyboughal
    Had to go through 3 sizeable floods and was soaked to the bone but the roads were lovely and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Went out today on the gravel bike in Dublin mountains. Two punctures and an asthma attack on Boranaraltry Lane. And multiple soakings. Rather wish I 'd stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I cycled my bike for 3hrs 38mins today and it rained for 3hrs 38mins but I enjoyed it all the same.

I'm still not quite there after illness and not sure if racing in March is a good idea but I'll train on and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Pretty grim weekend!
    Did some steady hill repeats on the MTB on local roads on Saturday and I've never been so wet and cold on the bike before! I literally couldn't push the gear levers or get the key into the garage padlocks when I was finished, my hands were totally numb! At least yesterday was a lot warmer.
    It can only get better .... !

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Out by myself last night. Concentrated on cadence, kept in a gear or 2 lower than normal, managed a new best time with 1 new pr. Also average speed getting better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this morning's commute was the first time on the bike in over two weeks. that was one morning that when you weren't cycling into the wind, you really weren't quite sure if you were or not; but when you *were* facing the wind, you damn well knew it.

not firing on all cylinders this morning either - granny gear up newtownpark avenue, first time i've done that IIRC.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I was coming in along the canel this morning and approaching the bridge at Rathmines I could hear loads of angry beeping. Like really aggressive, long presses on the horn. There was a car indicating to turn left over the bridge but stopped to let cyclists go up the inside of him. Pretty decent behavior I thought. There was a big space in front of him so cars behind were getting really annoyed. Not sure what the other drivers wanted him to do - hook left in front of someone on a bike and have them jam on?

Anyway, shout out to that driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I was coming in along the canel this morning and approaching the bridge at Rathmines I could hear loads of angry beeping. Like really aggressive, long presses on the horn. There was a car indicating to turn left over the bridge but stopped to let cyclists go up the inside of him. Pretty decent behavior I thought. There was a big space in front of him so cars behind were getting really annoyed. Not sure what the other drivers wanted him to do - hook left in front of someone on a bike and have them jam on?

what should happen is that he lets the bikes on his left go through
    then the bikes coming up behind see that he is indicating left, and stop to let him turn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement