Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had my first puncture of 2018 yesterday, came out to my bike after work unlocked it, put my lights on etc, went to move and my front tyre was flat:(. Had a look at it and couldn't see any obvious glass so decided to pump it up and it held air. So I gambled and took off home. Had to stop twice to top up, which was less than ideal. Got home and found the tiniest wood splinter had pierced it. The joys! I think I'll look for a replacement tyre, it's a Schwalbe Durano Double Defence, but I wasn't terribly happy with the rear when I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had my first puncture of 2018 yesterday, came out to my bike after work unlocked it, put my lights on etc, went to move and my front tyre was flat:(. Had a look at it and couldn't see any obvious glass so decided to pump it up and it held air. So I gambled and took off home. Had to stop twice to top up, which was less than ideal. Got home and found the tiniest wood splinter had pierced it. The joys! I think I'll look for a replacement tyre, it's a Schwalbe Durano Double Defence, but I wasn't terribly happy with the rear when I had it.

Buddy has those tyres and he has had more punctures than me in the last 6 months and I'm on Michelin Pro Course 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    The appointment time is 8:00am , I mentioned in the questionnaire that I was allergic to Joe, so they suggested an a.m. scan, to be sure. Thanks for the good luck message.

Got results of MRI Scan today, good news is that there's nothing amiss bar "minor" and "moderate" signs of degeneration . So awaiting next physio session and hopefully road to recovery..

First little spin on the new bike. My first time riding carbon... I'm in love

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Best of luck with the new addition and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Best of luck etc. Enjoy the cakes too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Victorian Raspberry........mmmmmm

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Victorian Raspberry........mmmmmm

That's actually what I had last night. It's also kinda bad that I am on first name terms with most of the staff in that particular shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what bike had you before?

what bike had you before?

I have a Scott Speedster 40, the only upgrades were wheelset and brakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No bottle cages? :confused:

No bottle cages? :confused:

I only got the bike at 5pm yesterday, give me a chance :pac: I've only got steel cages at home anyway and want something aesthetically pleasing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First spin in over a week due to sick kids (why does one get sick just as the other gets better??). Left home early as it wasn't lashing and took a longer route to work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1376136922

Commuting bike wouldn't change from the big ring so took the winter bike instead. Maybe I should ditch these two and get one bike that's good for winter and commuting...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Enjoy new bike, have mine a few weeks now and still drool over it;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Left home early as it wasn't lashing and took a longer route to work.
    what's it like round the north west of the airport these days? last i was there, the roads were a bit narrow with all the construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good and bad today.

Took part in the Gran Fondo attached to the UCI Gravel and Tar Manawatu 1.2 Classic.
    Also decided since it was 3 hrs there and 3hrs back again to make a day of it and do at least 100km, event was only 70km.
    30+ degrees heat, ran out of water after about 25km (and only got refills at about the 55km mark - no water stops which was madness), finished last and so far behind my time hasn't even been added to the website, and only finished about a minute ahead of the guys doing the full 130km. Lots of bad sunburn too, probably won't be able to move tomorrow and learned that the CaadX is not the type of bike to do 100km on.

But I did finish it. I'm never doing a gravel event again :pac:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1377068792

what's it like round the north west of the airport these days? last i was there, the roads were a bit narrow with all the construction work.

I didn’t see any construction work on the road, and the layout has changed slightly from last time I was over there. There’s some new roads in and they are finished working on them. I might make this route more regularly in the summer, if I get the time and I find myself falling behind my target

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Slow 60KM with a pinch of climbing, glad to be dry this week for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I didn’t see any construction work on the road, and the layout has changed slightly from last time I was over there. There’s some new roads in and they are finished working on them. I might make this route more regularly in the summer, if I get the time and I find myself falling behind my target
    I see a new unusual Strava segment has appeared which seems to go cross country but I'm assuming a new road is in place (haven't been over that way in a while).

https://www.strava.com/segments/16436231?filter=overall

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Part of the road from Cloughran roundabout to the Naul road roundabout has been realigned prior to the construction of the new parallel runway. If I'm driving the car with the satnav on it tells me that I'm "Off road " for a portion of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I see a new unusual Strava segment has appeared which seems to go cross country but I'm assuming a new road is in place (haven't been over that way in a while).

https://www.strava.com/segments/16436231?filter=overall

Yeah it's a new road going around where the new runway will be

Headwind all the way into work today :(
    Yesterday, for some reason, the chain was rubbing on the front mech in the big ring. A couple of turns on the barrel adjuster sorted it out for the ride home, but today it was back rubbing again. Maybe the cable has slipped slightly or even stretched but I'm running out of turns available on the adjuster...
    That's two bikes with front mech problems now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Headwind all the way into work today :(
    Yesterday, for some reason, the chain was rubbing on the front mech in the big ring. A couple of turns on the barrel adjuster sorted it out for the ride home, but today it was back rubbing again. Maybe the cable has slipped slightly or even stretched but I'm running out of turns available on the adjuster...
    That's two bikes with front mech problems now!!

Time for 2 new bikes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

80kms/1500mts - given my home location, prevailing winds and usual routes, I generally end up climbing into a headwind. Today was no different, very hard work in places but at least it was warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Out past Oughterard and back - 64km in total - wind against me both ways!!! Very heavy drizzle from about 20km onwards - glad to be home...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1379993469

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

74 km from Santry to Naul via Oldtown, Garristown and back by the airport. Lots of changeable wind I found. Sometimes it was a right slog, othertimes it carried me.

It was my first proper cycle of the year though, and probably the first since November so no complaints.

Tested the Garmin 1030. Great bit of kit, but probably way more than I need and annoyingly too big for most of my existing mounts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1380144506

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

P_1 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a new road going around where the new runway will be

It's lovely smooth bit of road too. The bit past the boot inn is still a bone shaker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ignored my own advice and i started re-using old tubes as spares (I normally only carry new tubes). So this morning i got a puncture about 9k into my 25k commute. No problem i thought. I removed the tube, checked the tyre and fitted my spare tube. I then used my one and only (note to self..carry at least TWO) CO canister. I got a further 2k down the road and tyre was flat again! I removed the tube to find that the tube was leaking from the patch that i put on to fix a previous puncture! Luckily, i also carry a mini-puncture repair kit (some sand paper and self adhesive patches) and a mini-pump, so i repaired the first tube and refitted it while refitting a very stubborn tyre all accompanied by a lot of cursing and frustration! Grrrrrr! The Joys of cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ignored my own advice and i started re-using old tubes as spares (I normally only carry new tubes). So this morning i got a puncture about 9k into my 25k commute. No problem i thought. I removed the tube, checked the tyre and fitted my spare tube. I then used my one and only (note to self..carry at least TWO) CO canister. I got a further 2k down the road and tyre was flat again! I removed the tube to find that the tube was leaking from the patch that i put on to fix a previous puncture! Luckily, i also carry a mini-puncture repair kit (some sand paper and self adhesive patches) and a mini-pump, so i repaired the first tube and refitted it while refitting a very stubborn tyre all accompanied by a lot of cursing and frustration! Grrrrrr! The Joys of cycling!

Nightmare. I was always afraid of the C02 canisters, I knew I'd forget to bring spares at some point! It sounds like you were well prepared anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Nightmare. I was always afraid of the C02 canisters, I knew I'd forget to bring spares at some point! It sounds like you were well prepared anyway!

Yeah that puncture kit (and mini-pump) have saved me a few times now. I've decided im going to leave a few tubes and CO canisters in work as well.

My setup will be:

In Work:

Spare tyre x 1
    Spare tubes x 2
    CO canisters x2
    Puncture repair Kit.

On the bike:

Spare Tubes x 2
    CO canisters x2
    Puncture Kit x1.
    Mini-Pump x1

That should do it! :)