Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Nightmare. I was always afraid of the C02 canisters, I knew I'd forget to bring spares at some point! It sounds like you were well prepared anyway!

Get a CO2/pump hybrid. That way if you run out of C02 you can revert to pumping (albeit really slowly - especially on the MTB).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Get a CO2/pump hybrid. That way if you run out of C02 you can revert to pumping (albeit really slowly - especially on the MTB).

I have one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-pump/rp-prod24666

It's better than most mini pumps and you can get 60psi easily enough and with some effort you can get 80ish. Which is fine for the run home. Maybe I'll pick up a C02 pump to have in the bag too though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

CO canisters are great for getting tires up to a descent pressure but I would never leave the house without a mini-pump! When I replace a tube I always inflate it with a pump, then I deflate it and pump it again. I do this to ensure the tube is seated correctly. Only then do I use CO to get it up to a high pressure. Nothing worse than using your one and only CO canister to blow up your last tube! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Nice 35k yeaterday, managed to get a nice smooth road with only the odd 'hiccup' in it. Also requires cycling back over the same bit of road for a few km, but damn it's worth it for a smooth ride. Wind was horrendous for the first 10k, head on and strong gusts, down to 2nd gear at one stage! Might try it in the dark some evening. Nice to be out in daylight though, roll on the long evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Just shy of 65km yesterday with the club. Was feeling good at the point where were planing to turn back for Home. Convinced the others to go another 5km up the road loop around a roundabout and back. They weren’t happy when we turned and headed back into the wind that had picked up and didn’t realize.

First proper spin since start of Dec(not including pottering around when on holiday) much more fun than the Turbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Managed to get my front mech on the winter bike sorted (and gave the bike a wash) before work and seemed to fly into work today. Wind didn't seem as bad today and it felt quite warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

60km yesterday for my first non-commuting spin of the year, it was due to include more of a venture into the mountains but that had to be abandoned due to the strength of the wind. descending down bohernabreena with a strong crosswind from the left was horrendous :(

Just another 20k, but all the way something felt off or wrong. Was a weird feeling. Wasn't until I got back it dawned on me. First cycle without wind in god knows how feckin long:-P Hope it stays away....

That was waaaay too wet n windy last night, on another note, joined a club last night and signed up for a 62k cycle Sunday morning. Oh dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Took a spin out and over Howth Head tonight, feckin Baltic out

• Advertisement

Yep, was very chilly, took about 5k before fingers started to warm up. Little breeze but nothing like the last.... Month. On my own, so stretched the legs a bit. Felt good:-) That's it until Sunday now, rest recuperate, and eat:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

had my 1st of the year last night quick 12km out to howth and back. flew out but nearly got blown backwards once i made the turn at the pier for home. think ill be out again tonight and tomorrow, when your off the bike for ages and living an unhealthy lifestyle you forget how good it is and beats walking the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

neris wrote: »
    had my 1st of the year last night quick 12km out to howth and back. flew out but nearly got blown backwards once i made the turn at the pier for home. think ill be out again tonight and tomorrow, when your off the bike for ages and living an unhealthy lifestyle you forget how good it is and beats walking the dog

Some wind descending the head into the village side last night, if I'd have stopped pedalling I'd say the bike would have stopped on the hill

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

That was waaaay too wet n windy last night, on another note, joined a club last night and signed up for a 62k cycle Sunday morning. Oh dear....

What club? our sportive group spin Sunday is 62k :P

Dcully wrote: »
    What club? our sportive group spin Sunday is 62k :P
    Ballinasloe Cycle club. They're doing a quick stop half way so I hope I should be ok:-D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ballinasloe Cycle club. They're doing a quick stop half way so I hope I should be ok:-D

Different club, for a minute i thought i might be meeting you Sunday morning :)

Enjoy it, nothing like group spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It seems like the first time on the bike in yonks and it was a cold one! 6.5k to work. 23.5k at lunch and 6.5k home. Felt tough probably because I’ve become a lazy ass lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Climbing day today and I knocked 5 mins of a climb from 42 mins to 36!
    Good times :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1388422699

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First time out in nearly 3 weeks. 37km around NCD. Windchill had it at -2c when I was leaving and it certainly felt like it. Got to the crossroads at Boroimhe and decided to put the heavier gloves on. It was a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Got out on the bike first time this year. Drogheda - Naul - Airport - Portmarnock. Roads around Naul were so full of muck, it felt very slippery. Didn't think it was too cold, or perhaps I got the layers just right - thick full sleeve layer + cycling jacket and the pair of running gloves I found lying around.

Saw around seven or eight other cyclists on the way, only three returned my hello. Oh well, may be it was just because I was looking all cheap and German supermarket-y. :D. Anyway if felt good to get out in the fresh morning air again! 46k or so in total, touch under 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

First time out in about 3 weeks. I've been terrible the last few months and any fitness I had is completely gone. 46 kms just around Greystones testing out my new Garmin 1030!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

40k solo this morning as I will more Than likely miss the club spin in the morning iver the rugby
    Cold and windy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Feckin Baltic and windy to boot. 105 down to Wicklow and back via Ashford an d roundwood. A lot more demanding than I expected...I hope it was just the low temperatures. Tho defo a bit dehydrated too...you don't think you're thirsty until you warm up....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Waited til the rain stopped. 40km on wet mucky roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Fattled my way through the Kingsmountain 200 on my singlespeed yesterday.

Preamble: Normally I do 2 or 3 fasted pre-work spins per week often on the Singlespeed (usually the Coast Road to Bray or up Howth Head) and I've done both the Great Dublin Bike Ride 100km on it and a solo 150km spin around Meath/Kildare, plus climbed up to Enniskerry from Bray various times, so I was reasonably confident when I came up the idea of Audaxing on it.

However my routine has been severely disrupted, by weather events having to work late at night and work stress culminating in getting a short prescription of sleeping pills after a much worse than usual run in with insomnia (also suffering muscle spasms in my leg so my experiments with dry needling [delightful] ruled out a few other potential preparatory spins).

Slept soundly on Friday night, with everything well prepared because I'd actually gotten everything ready once before (i.e. I'd mistakenly thought the ride was last Saturday). Got up at 05:30 for a relaxing breakfast and started off sore but soon felt much better for having been on the bike and rocked up to Whitehall church, where myself and a fellow Novice Audaxer stood around in the wrong carpark for a good 15 minutes before heading over to the start in the most Audax Appropriate of all possible office spaces. A bus shelter.

Met CDaly and a couple of other lads (including my fellow carpark-errer) and rode with them out of the city, as Singlescottie only has stop and go as options I found myself getting ahead of them from time to time but after a navigational diversion reuniting with them.

By the time I hit the first control at Collinstown I'd emptied the legs playing Bad News Boreen Bingo (only a Sulkie Race short of a full card - including a chase from a with hindsight probably friendly Alsatian ) on a surface rougher than Nigel Farage's soul, had a probably horrible but good at the time chicken fillet roll and a coffee to refuel and took off again with Cdaly and Co when they caught up with me.

It was all going fairly well (apart from frozen feet any time I stopped turning the cranks) until we passed the final control at around 150km (160ish for me at this point) and started hitting the few hills and drags on the route, got about 70% of the way up the one steep climb before I put the foot down and then had a 5-10m hopscotch of shame until I could clip in again and get a full turn of the cranks to finish the remainder of the climb.

The long drags after that though killed me, and I got separated from Cdaly & co. twice, once by a hay bailer after which I managed to chase them down and a second time when I dropped a bidon and had to back for it.

This was the last time I had any company and after that I was freewheeling and suffering for a while before I managed to take in enough water and calories and take a bathroom break (The small luxuries count!) and got that "I was dead but I got better feeling".

The last part through Kentstown(I think, I was just following the route on my Garmin) and Ballymun (Oh Hai IKEA!) was fine until I passed the turn for the finish at Whitehall church and spent about half a struggling hour working my way back around using my phone for directions.

By the time I got back, there was nobody left in the carpark and my wife called me to say she was on her way home with takeaway so I grumped my way home thinking I was a DNF - finding out later that my message to the event organiser was sufficient proof to fill my brevet card.

As with my previous Audax experience it was a good day with some really great people but the bonk was abject misery and I might save future singlespeeding adventures for routes that feature fewer disintegrating bog roads and rough boreens!

That cold wind was evil though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

40km this morning, thought it was going to be miserable after driving through driving sleet to get to where i started, but it was absolutely fine from then on. most of the bad weather in dublin seems to have hit south of swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thought id wait before going ! two slips in a 200 yards on ice put paid to that so went on the turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

A day of damp roads, showers, and the odd steep hill - including one of the various candidates for 'the wall', out of Glencree

+40045724532_152f84f53d_c.jpgwarren on the wall by ciaran clissmann, on Flickr

Ah arrived at start point in plenty of time, no one there. Checked FB page, cancelled because of the weather. Was - 2 this morning. Roads were lethal. Nearly came off a roundabout on the way in. So headed off at 10.30 by myself this morning when roads thawed. Didn't do 60k,but kept a decent pace and done just over 46k. https://www.strava.com/activities/1391046072
    Oh having a beer now:-D:-D:-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Managed a short 30 km today to test out my back, have had a bad 2 months since 9th December last with back spasm. Working to a stretching regime and using a roller under my back , all prescribed by the Physio, and a clear MRI Scan. Hopefully it feels okay in the morning , fingers crossed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement