Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went down to the Waterford greenway, we got the train down and back. I really enjoy that greenway, we had plenty of time so fluted around and then in Dungarvan we realised we only had two hours to make the last train so we didn't stop on the way back except for my puncture. Lovely day though.

My house to heuston, the greenway and back again is 100kms on the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Managed a short 30 km today to test out my back, have had a bad 2 months since 9th December last with back spasm. Working to a stretching regime and using a roller under my back , all prescribed by the Physio, and a clear MRI Scan. Hopefully it feels okay in the morning , fingers crossed.

So far so good, the exercise and back rolling regime seems to be making difference. No issues this morning :)

So far so good, the exercise and back rolling regime seems to be making difference. No issues this morning :)

Just make sure you do your exercises and foam rolling today

Just make sure you do your exercises and foam rolling today

Yep did them this morning and will do them again this evening. Just have to keep it as a routine from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bitterly cold this morning. I thought we were through the worst of the cold; boy was I wrong! I do have my layers well sorted this year so it wasn't too bad after the first 10 minutes or so. My face was so cold it was burning at the start though!

The cold aside, it was really nice out. Calm and easy to keep up a good pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Yep did them this morning and will do them again this evening. Just have to keep it as a routine from now on.

Welcome to the chronic injury management party. You did well to arrive so late ;-)

I felt this morning was probably one of the coldest for me this winter. Absolutely freezing, and plenty of frost and ice around too. Made it in fine, but off-road cycle tracks were a complete no go, and you had to have your wits about you even on the road. Hopefully this will be the last blast of cold before next winter... I've said that before this year though!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I felt this morning was probably one of the coldest for me this winter. Absolutely freezing, and plenty of frost and ice around too. Made it in fine, but off-road cycle tracks were a complete no go, and you had to have your wits about you even on the road. Hopefully this will be the last blast of cold before next winter... I've said that before this year though!:eek:

My Garmin reported -4 this morning! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My Garmin reported -4 this morning! :eek:
    When I saw you commute on Strava this morning I was wondering how you managed to avoid ice. I'm right on the coast and there was ice everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

07Lapierre wrote:
    My Garmin reported -4 this morning!

There was ice all over my decking this morning, that was enough to make me wait til the afternoon.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote:
    My Garmin reported -4 this morning!

There was ice all over my decking this morning, that was enough to make me wait til the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Went down to the Waterford greenway, we got the train down and back. I really enjoy that greenway, we had plenty of time so fluted around and then in Dungarvan we realised we only had two hours to make the last train so we didn't stop on the way back except for my puncture. Lovely day though.

My house to heuston, the greenway and back again is 100kms on the nose

You mentioned this on the Waterford Greenway thread. How did you manage on the day - did you bring a change of gear and find a safe place to store it, or did you just hop on and off the train?

velo.2010 wrote: »
    You mentioned this on the Waterford Greenway thread. How did you manage on the day - did you bring a change of gear and find a safe place to store it, or did you just hop on and off the train?

Ended up just hopping on and off.

When I saw you commute on Strava this morning I was wondering how you managed to avoid ice. I'm right on the coast and there was ice everywhere.

The roads were gritted, they were fine. At the back of the airport, there were pools of water at the side of the road that had ice on the surface, but the road itself was bone dry.

rushfan wrote: »

all the roads on my commute are gritted. I wouldn't chance it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Bitterly cold this morning. I thought we were through the worst of the cold; boy was I wrong! I do have my layers well sorted this year so it wasn't too bad after the first 10 minutes or so. My face was so cold it was burning at the start though!

The cold aside, it was really nice out. Calm and easy to keep up a good pace.

I really enjoyed the ride in this morning, cold yes but not damp (or wet!) which I find much harder to deal with. Layer up and stay off the cycle paths and it's a million times better than being stuck on the bus/train/traffic jam. And that sunrise.....

07Lapierre wrote:
    all the roads on my commute are gritted. I wouldn't chance it otherwise.

That's good to know. Colleague of mine had a fall 2 years ago at an icy stretch near the airport, he was down before he knew it and missed 3 months work. Not that he'd listen to advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Went out last night, started off dry, but didn't last long. Got a bit wet, and 5k from home, another puncture. Need to change tyres, they are paper thin....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's bloody humid out there this morning.

Currently sitting having a donut. Fell off at Heuston Station, rainbows on the ground so obviously something dropped oil, rear mech with a small scratch and ruined cable, bib ruined with big blood stains and rips, leg warmers ruined and jacket ripped. Also damage to a bus drivers underwear, he hit me when he came around the bend but got stopped just before I went under the bus. Then he gave me a lift into town... sound lad to be fair and thankfully he was paying attention

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody hell. that's doing it in some style. you OK?

bloody hell. that's doing it in some style. you OK?

Cuts n bumps but grand mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

so you fell in front of the bus? holy moley!
    well done to that bus driver and glad to hear you're not worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Cuts n bumps but grand mostly.

Seems like a very close one. Make sure you are ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I hope it was a very small scratch on the rear mech.
    It might polish out.

Sounds like you are blessed not to be another bad statistic, fair play to bus driver being alert. Speedy recovery to you Jimmy. Ps don't forget to do the lotto on Fri and Sat !

I was wearing my hi vis jacket and bloody glad I was now, the driver only saw me at the last second, he literally stopped as the bus hit me. Blessed is not the word and I have to say now as the adrenaline is wearing off I'm realising just how lucky I was. Been a while since I've been on the ground and hopefully it'll be a while before I go down again

I was wearing my hi vis jacket and bloody glad I was now, the driver only saw me at the last second, he literally stopped as the bus hit me. Blessed is not the word and I have to say now as the adrenaline is wearing off I'm realising just how lucky I was. Been a while since I've been on the ground and hopefully it'll be a while before I go down again

Jesus, that sounds awful. Glad to hear you're doing okay, and fair play to the driver too. Take it easy over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Glad you are ok! Sounds scary

What type of donut was it?

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Glad you are ok! Sounds scary

What type of donut was it?

The 'Dub' from the rolling donut. It's basically a Boston cream but nicer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement