Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Boscoirl wrote: »
    What type of donut was it?
    no, he was *doing* donuts, on the bike. he's got incredibly powerful legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Managed to get out before dark. Half cycle in daylight, last half in darkness. Decided to push a wee bit to see how I'd get on. Managed new top avg speed and 2 personal records😀. I reckon I could do a wee bit better and break the 29kph avg speed. Clip less pedals coming in a week or two😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we need to introduce you to some hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A quick 45km from Swords up to Howth Summit and back this morning.
    Wife is due a baby on Thursday so can't venture too far from the house at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Was supposed to do my first spin with a club today, met Colm18 close to home and rode out to the start together...or where we thought the start was.

Due to the official winter bike needing a new rear mech and BB I was once again on my singlespeed and confident that I had the route loaded on my Garmin I went ready to seek answers to two questions, 1. could I complete the route in 46x16 (yes) 2. Could I keep up with a bunch doing it... no answer to be had there as we never found the bunch.

The route was clearly designed as a chilling reminder of the impact that neoliberal politics has had on Irish society and also that you can encounter an Orwell group literally anywhere.

Thankfully the climbs such as they were were loaded towards the front of the route (Gunny hill, Edmonstown to the Rockbrook turnoff) and we mostly just scooted along on the flat, we passed a group from the club travelling in the opposite direction somewhere out near Celbridge and encountered the aforementioned bunch which included at least one partial Orwell kit in Ardclough.

We stopped to admire the piebald pony standing in front of a yard full of old vans and lorries before making our way on to Kill for a Coffee/full on brunch (french toast) before zlodding along to Kilteel and back into Dublin via Saggart.

Saggart has an insomnia now! If you're from a certain part of the world and of a certain age that's like finding out that Blade Runner is now our reality.

We abandoned the route halfway through Tallaght on the way back and made for home. Good little bop despite the slow average and you know missing our new clubmates completely.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1400631635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Felexicon wrote: »
    A quick 45km from Swords up to Howth Summit and back this morning.
    Wife is due a baby on Thursday so can't venture too far from the house at the moment.

Very best of luck on the pending arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

2 pairs of gloves, fingers still frostbitten...
    Its bloody cold out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

retalivity wrote: »
    2 pairs of gloves, fingers still frostbitten...
    Its bloody cold out there

I was hoping to get in 80-100k but not if it’s that cold. Damaged both median nerves when hit by a car and the cold just makes them hop!! Have to stick to short loops so never far from home/shelter. Bummer!

Bleedin cold and windy out there this morning. 50km, first few with numb fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Puncture fest for me this morning. When I got the 3rd one, I abandoned and called in the team car. There was obviously something in the tyre but I couldn't find it. Sorting punctures with frozen fingers isn't much fun. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Managed to get 41km in around with some low hills. Not as cold as I thought but my hands (thumbs) gave in after 25km (a snow/hail shower did not help).
    Happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A quick spin in the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

My last three spins 365km in total approx 2500m climbing all on a Singlespeed which hadn't been too bad due to the fun responsive nature of the bike in question.

But today I started missing gears...nothing like a freezing headwind on a long draggy hill to suck the fun out of anything.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1402813482/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1518366295

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Did the off-road 11km trail between Maro caves up to Frigliana this afternoon, hard going but wonderfully warm😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Puncture fest for me this morning. :(

Glad to see you got out again later. There's no stopping you.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    A quick spin in the snow

And on the club spin we thought some of the white patches on the roads of NCD and Meath were snow. That's the real thing - where were you and what gloves do you wear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Glad to see you got out again later. There's no stopping you.

And on the club spin we thought some of the white patches on the roads of NCD and Meath were snow. That's the real thing - where were you and what gloves do you wear!!

Back roads and Coillte woods in the Nire and Glenahiry Valleys in West Waterford.

Normally no gloves, on the very few real cold days I end up taking them off! 8 years of living by he sea has me running hot; no overshoes either and a very light baselayer with a prefetto jacket. I had to give up on Alpha jacket it was too warm even without any jersey/baselayer.

Tyres were the problem today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

A very enjoyable 85km/1500mts around the hills of south Dublin/north Wicklow! Hard work climbing into the wind but nice and bright and never got too cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bright and dry but frosty and breezy here today. Headed off to do the usual club spin this morning but 3 km from the house I realised I'd left phone, wallet and inhaler behind so raced back to get them with the intention of heading off the group on their way. Met a couple of the lads on my way and shouted that I'd see them on the main road.
    I got out onto the road and waited a couple of minutes before heading towards Enfield, then turned back in case they were waiting at the end of the Longwood road, before reaching the conclusion that I'd obviously missed them. I tore off after them hoping to maybe catch up with them at the coffee stop in Allenwood , through Enfield and on to Kilcock and Clane and then the headwind towards Prosperous and Allenwood murdered me. I was shattered and no sign of the lads at the coffee stop so it was going to be a tough last 30km home.
    Then they arrived in behind me!! One of them had a puncture so they were a bit late leaving. Could have taken my time...

The coffee perked me up for a whole ten minutes and they proceeded to tear the legs off me all the way back home. Can't really remember being this fkkd in a long time.

80 km @28.8kmh, average temperature 0
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1402271811

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Down in Kenmare with a bike for the first time. Over the Caha pass (very nice - not too long, not too steep, nice 'out there' feeling at the top), down into Glengarriff (pretty good descent too, some interesting gusts onto the right shoulder). A long slog up out of Glengarriff on the way to Adrigole - stiff headwind, starts to rain fairly seriously. Into Peg's corner shop in Adrigole for a cuppa (nice lady serving didn't mind the wet cyclist look), then up the fantastic Healy Pass. What fun - not too steep, one or two hairpins, really carved into the hill. Handy enough drop to Lauragh, over one last drag and down to the Kenmare river. Half an hour at 35++ with the wind behind me, and I'm done.

39313162755_5b7755aca5.jpgcahapass

39313163565_a5ca817311.jpghealypass2

Must go to kerry more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Can't really remember being this fkkd in a long time.

Well done D. It'll stand to you when the racing and sportif seasons begin.

brownian wrote: »
    Must go to kerry more often!

Sounds like The Rebel Tour is calling you!

• Advertisement

Puncture fest for me this morning. When I got the 3rd one, I abandoned and called in the team car. There was obviously something in the tyre but I couldn't find it. Sorting punctures with frozen fingers isn't much fun. :(
    Found the culprit this morning in the comfort of the garage - what looks like part of an ordinary paper staple embedded in the rubber. I had to wash and dry the tyre first before locating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Found the culprit this morning in the comfort of the garage - what looks like part of an ordinary paper staple embedded in the rubber. I had to wash and dry the tyre first before locating it.

Disaster. The last puncture I had was so elusive I had to do the soapy water trick to find where the air was coming out. A thorn did me in. I should really order a new front tyre!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Spare tyre ftw. Change tyre and tube on second puncture and deal with the rest later...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Spare tyre ftw. Change tyre and tube on second puncture and deal with the rest later...
    I used to go through phases of carrying a spare tyre but it would wane again. In fairness I only puncture a few times per year. I'd always carry a spare when doing an Audax but have never needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I think my winter bike is possessed! Yesterday I couldn't get the big ring (for the second time in as many weeks) for my ride into work. Got too busy to sort it before home time so rode it home again that way. Cleaned it and adjusted it this morning - all working fine on the test laps of the garden.
    Hop on it this afternoon going to work - all good until I need the small ring.... just massive chain rub. WTF!! Cable seemed far too tight when I parked up in work so I adjusted it again before I locked it up.
    Let's see what mood it's in later on when I have to ride home...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

A very bright and chilly 35K for me. Had to give the shaded parts of the road a wide berth as there was still ice there in spots. Once there isn't a clothing malfunction (not even layers or bad choices), I really do enjoy the really cold days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think my winter bike is possessed! Yesterday I couldn't get the big ring (for the second time in as many weeks) for my ride into work. Got too busy to sort it before home time so rode it home again that way. Cleaned it and adjusted it this morning - all working fine on the test laps of the garden.
    Hop on it this afternoon going to work - all good until I need the small ring.... just massive chain rub. WTF!! Cable seemed far too tight when I parked up in work so I adjusted it again before I locked it up.
    Let's see what mood it's in later on when I have to ride home...
    Thinly veiled 'my garden is big enough to do laps on the big ring' boasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Thinly veiled 'my garden is big enough to do laps on the big ring' boasts

The reality is circling an 8 foot square planted section on the paving...

Back on the bike now since friday after a series of issues since xmas. Friday was my 1st spin drogheda to slane and back and on a new 105 groupset, by christ I felt it but enjoyed it. Few times I forgot I'd a click or two more to get to the gear I wanted but I'll get used to that.

Went out tonight for a change, don't do much if any night riding but I have a nice loop of 4.4km I can do with left turns only consisting of flat start then down for 800m , flat, then up for about 600m , then flat and only 3 sets of lights. Minimal traffic and did 5 laps and I'm f'd now :D

• Advertisement

.... Friday was my 1st spin drogheda to slane and back...
    I never feel particularly safe on that road. Seems to be an above average number of close passes on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement