Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

I never feel particularly safe on that road. Seems to be an above average number of close passes on it.

On the N51? Yeah was Ok on Friday but not a road I like to use much for the reason you mention, actually find it a bit worse if you go beyond Slane and head for Navan.

I had a crazy notion to head back via the N2 but haven't been that way in an age, so wasn't sure how much of it I'd have to ride to get to a left that brings me to Donore and what the hard shoulder was like. I see now from the map theres one just after you leave Slane heading south that takes you over to Gibstown/ Rosnaree which I might explore soon. Rather than head out the N51

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the least enjoyable stretches of road i can remember cycling was on the N2 south into Ashbourne. was less than 10km, but really not enjoyable - cars going past at 100km/h, less than 2m away. didn't help that it was a pissy day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

I never feel particularly safe on that road. Seems to be an above average number of close passes on it.

On the N51? Yeah was Ok on Friday but not a road I like to use much for the reason you mention, actually find it a bit worse if you go beyond Slane and head for Navan.

I had a crazy notion to head back via the N2 but haven't been that way in an age, so wasn't sure how much of it I'd have to ride to get to a left that brings me to Donore and what the hard shoulder was like. I see now from the map theres one just after you leave Slane heading south that takes you over to Gibstown/ Rosnaree which I might explore soon. Rather than head out the N51
    Live out that way. Tough drag from Slane bridge up to McGrudders Cross where you turn left for Donore but road is plenty wide. There's 2 big downhills where you can pick up serious speed that brings you to Newgrange and then its a handy enough climb up to Donore where you can route back to Drogheda.

Agree...I hate that N2 into Ashbourne. Dreary awful road and couple of junctions where cars tend to 'track' in on top of you due to chervrons. Side roads that run parallel through Rathfeigh and Curragha/Tayto Park are much better# for cycling (# = hillier with worse surfaces but far nicer scenery and less cars).

Kop Idol wrote: »
    Live out that way. Tough drag from Slane bridge up to McGrudders Cross where you turn left for Donore but road is plenty wide. There's 2 big downhills where you can pick up serious speed that brings you to Newgrange and then its a handy enough climb up to Donore where you can route back to Drogheda.

Agree...I hate that N2 into Ashbourne. Dreary awful road and couple of junctions where cars tend to 'track' in on top of you due to chervrons. Side roads that run parallel through Rathfeigh and Curragha/Tayto Park are much better# for cycling (# = hillier with worse surfaces but far nicer scenery and less cars).

What about the road I mentioned not long after the bridge it's marked Fennor on google maps? Looks like it would be a nicer alternative than pushing on down to McGrudders Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

RE: Fennor
    TBH I've never taken that route. I believe it should be less hilly as it comes out on the Donore road at the bottom of a large downhill, so you are basically avoiding the climb to McGrudders junction but also missing the descent from the N2 down to where that Fennor road joins up. Its a smaller road through Fennor so you should get less traffic anyway. Definitely worth a look and more interesting than going back the N51 Slane-Drogheda road ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First puncture in ages! Just over the M1 bridge on the R132 by Lissenhall vets. Just got the new tube in and some guy came out of the first house with a track pump. How good was that? Saved me a co2 canister and had me back on the road in good time. Thank you kind sir.
    It more than made up for the d!ck 33 bus driver who overtook me and then suddenly pulled in at a stop 10m later, between Lusk and Blakes Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Kop Idol wrote: »
    RE: Fennor
    TBH I've never taken that route. I believe it should be less hilly as it comes out on the Donore road at the bottom of a large downhill, so you are basically avoiding the climb to McGrudders junction but also missing the descent from the N2 down to where that Fennor road joins up. Its a smaller road through Fennor so you should get less traffic anyway. Definitely worth a look and more interesting than going back the N51 Slane-Drogheda road ;)

That road is quite narrow, but quiet. It goes to Rosnaree. Not a whole lot to it, apart from the fact, that I got married in Rosnaree Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Out for the usual but thought it was OK for the fingerless gloves. Bloody hell, fingers nearly fell off... Thumbs were numb for the first 20mins. Next time choosing caution and bring other pair in my Jersey. Damn, it was nice and dry though :-)Soon be cycling in the daylight again:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Out for the usual but thought it was OK for the fingerless gloves. Bloody hell, fingers nearly fell off... Thumbs were numb for the first 20mins. Next time choosing caution and bring other pair in my Jersey. Damn, it was nice and dry though :-)Soon be cycling in the daylight again:-D
    I passed a guy on a bike in Stamullen today in shorts, fingerless gloves, and a bare head. He seemed happy enough. I haven't even put the bins out without a coat on recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭C3PO

Very unusual wind direction this morning (Directly from the South!) - the single speed was way undergeared! Average 29kms/hr without trying!
    Going home is going to be another matter ... :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wimped out this morning - gale warnings and warnings of heavy rain. checked the rainfall radar about 6am and yep, loads of rain. look out the window at 7:15am, and the ground is dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

C3PO wrote: »
    Very unusual wind direction this morning (Directly from the South!) - the single speed was way undergeared! Average 29kms/hr without trying!
    Going home is going to be another matter ... :o

I hate you :D that was ferocious!!!! It will probably have died down later on too..
    i wimped out this morning - gale warnings and warnings of heavy rain. checked the rainfall radar about 6am and yep, loads of rain. look out the window at 7:15am, and the ground is dry...

I was just thinking as I was blown off the bike path in the PP for the 2nd time 'why was there no weather warning about this?!' I think that's the worst I've cycled in to date (wind wise) and certainly the first time I've ended up off road with my foot on the ground from a gust of wind :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I passed a guy on a bike in Stamullen today in shorts, fingerless gloves, and a bare head. He seemed happy enough. I haven't even put the bins out without a coat on recently.

His happiness will fade when hes recaptured and returned to his cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I didn't realise how windy it was this morning until it was too late (I have to leave earlier if I get the train to work). Was very scary getting blown all over the road. Most cars seemed to be decent and give me plenty of space - although I did literally cycle down the middle of the lane so I had space to recover after each sideways gust. Dreading the uphill slog on the way home now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was surprised by the wind this morning, looking up the wind speeds on met eireann it seemed like it should be doable. But the reality was a bit different. I made it in without much issue, but I was hit by gusts when you'd come to an exposed section of road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭C3PO

I find this site great for wind speed and direction predicitons!

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/53.2492/-6.1338

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well that's cool. Cheers for that. I have a raspberry pi that I use as a weather station, I might see if I can pull in the graphics from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Thanks - I'll save that.

I usually just look at the tree outside my bedroom window to see how much the branches are moving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭devonp

combine Strava and wind prediction/route planning etc !!

https://mywindsock.com/my/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Windfinder is great, particularly if a spot that you want to check has both a Forecast and a Report listed, as the Report element is pulling real time data from a weather station. There's one about 15minutes into my commute that I can check for live wind speed, direction, and temperature. It's a great help for knowing how to layer up. Of course, some days it drives a nail into your motivation when you see a gusting 50/60kph cross headwind for the commute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sunny spin out to Skyrne - Lismullen and up to Tara then home, suffering with some hip pain associated with an old injury so no heroics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

planned on going out this morning at 730 but had a look at the breeze and decided to give it a miss but ended up going out at 8 for a quick 15km spin up to Howth summit and home. Wish id listen to my 730 self and stayed at home. blow out into the road a few times at exposed parts, thankfully no cars around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭positron

I was all set for commuting from Portmarnock to Dundrum (after getting a lift from Drogheda to Portmarnock), but with all that snow blowing across on M1, changed my mind and took the DART. I still think that was the right decision, but still saw about a dozen brave souls out on bikes on the way in.

commuted in this morning - not too bad. chilly, and the worst bit was newtownpark avenue; not only was it largely uphill into a headwind, there were spits of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Kailani Repulsive Toddler

Commuted 20km this morning from the north county to just beyond the south city centre and it nearly killed me. Felt like it was straight into the wind the whole way. Nearly got blown off my bike on the Samuel Beckett, though it was towards the footpath rather than the road so would have just been embarrassing rather than dangerous. Some (admittedly light) wintry showers started as well which isn't fun. I'm not very fit having said all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CJay1

Has anyone been up Sally Gap in the past few days?
    Was thinking of risking it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

How bout that wind? Was clocking over 40 on the way out to Howth this morning without even trying, coming home the cycle lane has never felt so steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got back out today, I'm on annual leave at the minute so fecked if I'm not getting out, I decided to just wander, went down and mooched around Dublin Port, cycled in and out the Royal canal then over to the grand canal and home. Very cold and windy in the end and I did 75kms total with all my pottering but at a measly 20kph average. But... I'm not sore after so I'm happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

30km today around north kildare, 2nd spin this year and longest since the old bike was robbed during the summer. Really felt it in places, engine needs work, but love the new bike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement