Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Well that was wet and windy. I dunno, but I kinda like it. Maybe it was because of all the holidays growing up in connemara. Always windy and wet. Still prefer the calm sunny days though. Felt good to be out:-) you know it was wet when you bend over to take off your shoes and you can feel the water running down the back of your leg lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know what you mean - we walked about a mile home from town before hopping on the bus. it was a pleasant sort of rain.

I was actually hoping for rain, some serious construction work at a near by school has left the road in the estate manky as they haul the soil and heavy equipment out on trucks as they finish up the work there. Reminds me to fit my mudguards tomorrow. I'd mentioned I'm only back on the bike after illness and a change of groupset but I'd forgot to put the mudguards back on, looked like I'd been on a CX race the other day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

First time out in Feb after a dose of man flu, usual 100k down to Blessington round the lakes and back home. Legs are feeling it now but it was wonderful to be actually out on the roads and not doing 25-30k in the kitchen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was actually hoping for rain, some serious construction work at a near by school has left the road in the estate manky as they haul the soil and heavy equipment out on trucks as they finish up the work there.
    they're legally required to clean the roads AFAIK. ring your local authority to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Did another 60kms around Dublin today, went down around the Royal canal and then back in towards town, Pigeon House Road and up to Sandyford and then down home. The cycle lanes from Ranelagh up to Sandyford are manky

30k in the...... Wait for it..... SUNSHINE! having g trouble with right toes going numb after about 20/25k. Seems to happen every time😞

30k in the...... Wait for it..... SUNSHINE! having g trouble with right toes going numb after about 20/25k. Seems to happen every time:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just did a couple of km around Lady Cannings plantation in Sheffield today, running the downhill trails to check out the suspension setup on the new bike. Between recent trail maintenance work, the snow (it's high enough into the peaks district) that has melted, the rain, and general traffic along the trails & byways, it was a bit of a slop-fest. Bike needs more tuning, but I did slaughter some strava times; the new bike is ... lively. No brakes required. Screaming or laughing like a madman is optional :pac:

Just took a blast to Howth and back. The head was covered in a cloud so I said feck it and just cycled to the pier. Also if somebody finds 50quid in Howth... you're welcome... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A bumpy 56k Up cruagh and featherbeds, down glencree towards kilmolin, looped across to crone wood and back up to glencree, featherbeds and home. The climb from crone wood to the military road is now one of my favourites - steady, scenic, quiet for traffic, and the road is in good nick. The little loop road across to it is in bits though. Was grey and raining, but nice rain, didnt feel cold at all. Lovely few hrs out

https://www.strava.com/activities/1413831176

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

First proper spin today since last year sometime. Kept it nice and flat untill I get some fitness back. Got 46k in a loop. from tallaght out to maynooth and back. Was knackered after it.. new goal is to get my ass fit again after having a break off the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I hr z2ish on the turbo after 3 weeks off. Long & careful road back but just glad to be able to get on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Yesterday, actually. Laragh-Shay Elliott-Slieve Maan to Aughavannagh, Donard, Kevin's Way, Wicklow Gap, Laragh. One of the best 80k rides in Wicklow. Super bright crisp day.

Kevin's Way from just after Hollywood Glen (N of Donard) is an alternative to the N81, to get onto the WW Gap. A bit steep in places...but good.

[IMG][/img]38530526580_763e70694c_c.jpgjohn by ciaran clissmann, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Ray Crinion memorial cycle today, or at least did part of it. I cycled over from Longwood with the club and registered for the 80km route. It was damp but not overly cold.
    We set off at a cracking pace, averaging 35+ all the way from Trim through Ballivor to Raharney and then had a spill. A motorist pulled across the road in the middle of the village causing everyone to slow suddenly and I got clipped by a guy which put me and two others down. Luckily we were slowing at the time so I dusted myself off very quickly and we chased like mad things to catch up with the group but to no avail. I was more disappointed with being off the back than the crash as I felt great up to that point.
    That effort wore me out and when we went past my house on the way back I just bailed out. I was filthy and wet through and a hot shower right then appealed much more than another 30km round-trip.
    Finished with 73 km @31.7kmh, so ya, a brisk spin for this time of year.
    No damage to me or the bike.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1413574939

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

jober wrote: »
    First proper spin today since last year sometime. Kept it nice and flat untill I get some fitness back. Got 46k in a loop. from tallaght out to maynooth and back. Was knackered after it.. new goal is to get my ass fit again after having a break off the bike

Welcome back :) hopefully all motivated too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

My 3rd spin since turn of the year due to back problem. Just doing laps at the moment in case back spasms kick off. Laps around confines of Kilmuckridge and back home, just over 40 km with an avg just over 26 kph. Hope to get out midweek with a spin over to Lucan and back to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Got out early and managed to stay dry for most of the spin! 80km/1450 mts and a nice coffee and cookie in the Happy Pear... what’s not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

@daroxtar - i was on that spin and saw a few go down in the village. Glad your ok. was a good spin up to that point.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

burger1979 wrote: »
    @daroxtar - i was on that spin and saw a few go down in the village. Glad your ok. was a good spin up to that point.....

Cheers, all good thankfully. I was enjoying it alright, great pace. Had a bit of fun after the crash too trying to get back on so despite the wobble I must say it was a good spin. I was glad to get into the house when I did though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did the Ray Crinion memorial cycle today, or at least did part of it. I cycled over from Longwood with the club and registered for the 80km route. It was damp but not overly cold.
    We set off at a cracking pace, averaging 35+ all the way from Trim through Ballivor to Raharney and then had a spill. A motorist pulled across the road in the middle of the village causing everyone to slow suddenly and I got clipped by a guy which put me and two others down. Luckily we were slowing at the time so I dusted myself off very quickly and we chased like mad things to catch up with the group but to no avail. I was more disappointed with being off the back than the crash as I felt great up to that point.
    That effort wore me out and when we went past my house on the way back I just bailed out. I was filthy and wet through and a hot shower right then appealed much more than another 30km round-trip.
    Finished with 73 km @31.7kmh, so ya, a brisk spin for this time of year.
    No damage to me or the bike.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1413574939

It was a 36.1km avg for the 80k. It never relented and a group of 7 got clear with 15km to go :cool:. Sportive in winter!!! Cant be beaten :D:D:D:D

It was a 36.1km avg for the 80k. It never relented and a group of 7 got clear with 15km to go :cool:. Sportive in winter!!! Cant be beaten :D:D:D:D

Was it a sportive or a race? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

C3PO wrote: »

Spotted one of my club mates spin on strava yesterday of the same event with an average of 36.3 kph :eek:

Dcully wrote: »
    Spotted one of my club mates spin on strava yesterday of the same event with an average of 36.3 kph :eek:

I'm going to keep my mouth shut!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

C3PO wrote: »

:rolleyes: clearly a sportive, if it was a race it would have been faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Lovely brisk morning for a spin would love to have continued past the office and kept heading south!

Was cursing the amount of cars in the bus lane coming through Churchtown, especially when they were backed up closer to Dundrum... but then I spotted the reason for the back up - two cheerful Gardai pulling all the drivers for illegal use of the bus lane. Put a smile on my face for the rest of the cycle.

Headed from home towards Sandyford and from there on to Johnny Foxes, decided to head back my own direction so went to view point from there. With it being such a clear day I decided to go up to The Hellfire Club when I was on my way back down.

Beautiful day for it and only patches of wind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Headed out for my first spin in some time at lunch, up Cruagh to Foxes, Kilternan and home. Suffered going up hill thanks to having put on a whack of weight over the last six months and suffered some more coming back down thanks to having rather arthritic shoulders. Did thoroughly enjoy the Pie Forest road in the spring sun, and surprised at the many dead frogs on the route. Looks like I missed a migration that the local traffic hit square on. Have to try hard to develop a regular cycling habit again, tough enough having been away from it for a time.

smacl wrote: »
    Headed out for my first spin in some time at lunch, up Cruagh to Foxes, Kilternan and home. Suffered going up hill thanks to having put on a whack of weight over the last six months and suffered some more coming back down thanks to having rather arthritic shoulders. Did thoroughly enjoy the Pie Forest road in the spring sun, and surprised at the many dead frogs on the route. Looks like I missed a migration that the local traffic hit square on. Have to try hard to develop a regular cycling habit again, tough enough having been away from it for a time.

I was up there at that time, I gave a wave to a very cheery looking guy on pine forest road, I came down from foxes towards Cruagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

smacl wrote: »
    ...put on a whack of weight over the last six months ...Did thoroughly enjoy the Pie Forest...

Did you indeed?

Freudian Slip?:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement