Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cjt156 wrote: »
    Did you indeed?

Freudian Slip?:D

Nah, spelling error, clearly should have been pint forest ;)

I was up there at that time, I gave a wave to a very cheery looking guy on pine forest road, I came down from foxes towards Cruagh

Could well have been me so, delighted to see the back of Cruagh road. I was the beardy bloke on a Rose CX with a red DHB jacket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

today seemed to be a day for drivers in front of me (some of whom had just passed me) to wave other motorists out onto the road. not one of whom thought 'ooh, there's a cyclist coming so i won't be able to jump into that gap offered to me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

About the only good thing about weeks of cold and wet weather is the incredible contrast when you get a day like today. Only five of us could make the regular club Tuesday spin and it was a real mystery tour thanks to our guide FR. From Swords to Garristown via the Wrens Nest was reasonably straightforward but from there to Ardcath, Duleek and on to Newgrange was mainly on new roads for most of us. Beautiful scenery, perfect weather (3 - 8 degrees), good company and a very welcome coffee and scone at Brú na Bóinne added up to a perfect spin.

Heading back with a hint of a tail breeze and real warmth in the sunshine was every bit as good. Maybe Spring isn't too far away?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1417099201/shareable_images/photo_based/12338425/1/d08f0d98-074e-4fb8-bdb0-77ceebba690e?hl=en-US&v=1519136209

Snuck out at lunch for a quick spin up Mutton lane, through Tibradden woods and back via Cruagh. Mutton lane was a short, sharp, shock and was also feeling rough on the fire roads in Tibradden but great day for cycling all the same. Saw a number of cyclists coming up Cruagh on my way back down, Spring is in the air!

• Advertisement

Glad I had a chance to get out today for 20km or so, perfect temp. for me. Haven't been out much but even so legs felt like they had some new life in them. Heading out of our estate waiting to turn right I even had a taxi flash me to let me out , spring is definitely in the air!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Last day of annual leave today and after a conversation here this morning I decided to go to Howth and up the summit from the Village side. Glad I did now because it was beautiful out, cold enough mind you but clear and sunny. Also I won't need to wash the bike today which I'm actually a little disappointed about so I might wash it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Started out very chilly but bright, hands were frozen for about 10 minutes. Made my way from Ratoath to the coast via Garristown. As I came past the coast road between Malahide and Portmarnock there was grass being cut, ah the scent of spigummer. Glorious out there today. Into iL Panorama for a lovely coffee and some fig rolls to get me home. 103K of glorious cycling. Love my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First time on the bike in a week - thanks to sick kids/mid term break I didn't get out once in my week off.
    No-one tried to kill or maim me and I didn't get a puncture. Nice weather for it around 2pm as well - pity I ended up in work...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

got stuck behind a bloke on the cyclepath in clontarf last night sauntering along a hand in 1 pocket of his coat while he had his phone in the other hand texting zig zagging across the cycle lane totally oblivious as to what was going on around him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/1420259696

We have a sportive coming up in May so had a check on the 50km route (48km) and its perfect for the couch to 50km guys and girls. Nice day out today and everybody behaving themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

44km today, found it colder than normal despite being fairly well wrapped up.

rushfan wrote: »

Yep, was out for a short one myself today and found it colder and blusterier than the last couple of days. Supposed to be getting colder still for the next number of days, eldest is talking about pinching my studded tyres for her hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

rushfan wrote: »
    I found it the same. Cold and oppressively grey, even with amber glasses.

Got my 'possessed' bike out the shed to re-adjust the front derailleur (yet) again as it decided to not let me select the big ring again riding home last night. Before I made any adjustments it decided to work properly until I moved to the larger end of the cassette - then the chain started rubbing on the mech.
    I noticed that the fwd mech was loose and had moved from its initial position.
    long story short - after over an hour faffing with it in the cold, I threw it onto the bike rack and took it into my LBS to get sorted properly and drove to work instead.

Get them spins in while you can people. Not liking the looks of the weather forecast for next week!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    Supposed to be getting colder still for the next number of days
    have you seen the weather forum? it's like christians preparing for the rapture.

have you seen the weather forum? it's like christians preparing for the rapture.

Rapture you say? Good time to tell herself I've my eye on a new bike you think? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Time to take out the winter steed you say?

radiatorbike.jpg

And my daughter headed off on her hybrid in a skirt this morning. Time to prepare the huskies for a rescue mission maybe...

• Advertisement

Got my bike back from LBS and struggled against a bitterly cold headwind into work. Gear cable had chewed into the outer and was jamming - no idea how that happened. Also got my headset issue sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My cycle today consisted of hours and hours riding downhill as fast as possible at the GAP in Glencullen. The new bike cleaned up very nicely.

More tomorrow. And more on Sunday \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Lemming wrote: »
    My cycle today consisted of hours and hours riding downhill as fast as possible at the GAP in Glencullen. The new bike cleaned up very nicely.

More tomorrow. And more on Sunday \o/

is it good there? hoping to head with a friend this Wednesday. How difficult is it?

First spin of the year without a rucksack on! SWMBO decreed that I had to drop the kids on my way to work so that put cycling into work on hold. I countered with a spin before work, and before she could agree/decide/complain I was changed and out the door. In my haste to get out, I forgot my HR monitor.
    Passed 5 Drogheda Wheelers near Ardgillan and saw 4 or 5 other solo guys out - one in shorts (!) but kept to quieter back roads.
    I must have started quicker than usual as there were a lot of PB in the first half and I felt wrecked towards the end. Stopped to check where I was after about 90 mins and a chill set in that I only really lost in the last 5K.
    59Km @ 26kmh isn't too bad for me and keeps me just about on target for my 100km a week over the year

https://www.strava.com/activities/1423601699

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I must have started quicker than usual as there were a lot of PB in the first half..
    There was a strong south easterly on your back. I had it as a headwind on the way to work this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

77km around north Dublin this morning. That wind was a real pain in the hole. Though I can feel my toes somewhat now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

is it good there? hoping to head with a friend this Wednesday. How difficult is it?

I've enjoyed every day out at the place. The staff are great, the coffee shop food is amazeballs - especially their homemade burgers - they do an uplift service (you pay for it) so you can cram in as many runs as you can manage but you can also do pedal ups if you either don't want to pay for the uplift service or don't fancy waiting.

Trails are good, having been built /designed by the lads from Bike Park Wales, with a range of blue, red, and black trails to choose from.

On a related note, my own cycle today involves yet more hours and hours going downhill as fast as possible at the GAP. Also rode an absolute gem of a red trail tucked in amongst the blacks; it wasn't fast, but it was technical and steep.

Rinse repeat tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

First spin out to blessington since Dec , on my comeback trail, amazing what a few drags can do to the legs after a lay off :). I'll sleep tonight and hopefully all is okay for a spin tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

secman wrote:
    First spin out to blessington since Dec , on my comeback trail, amazing what a few drags can do to the legs after a lay off . I'll sleep tonight and hopefully all is okay for a spin tomorrow.

Good to hear secman. Welcome back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement