Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Lemming wrote: »
    I've enjoyed every day out at the place. The staff are great, the coffee shop food is amazeballs - especially their homemade burgers - they do an uplift service (you pay for it) so you can cram in as many runs as you can manage but you can also do pedal ups if you either don't want to pay for the uplift service or don't fancy waiting.

Trails are good, having been built /designed by the lads from Bike Park Wales, with a range of blue, red, and black trails to choose from.

On a related note, my own cycle today involves yet more hours and hours going downhill as fast as possible at the GAP. Also rode an absolute gem of a red trail tucked in amongst the blacks; it wasn't fast, but it was technical and steep.

Rinse repeat tomorrow

Yeah we are going to do pedal up in the morning and uplift in the evening. I'm hoping my skills are up to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Pleasant spin around south Wicklow today. Parked near the Tap, took old N11 to Jack Whites, down to Brittas, along the coast road to just before Arklow, back to N11, up Beech Road and down into Avoca, left to Woodenbridge, right to Aughrim (soup), back to Ballinaclash, then the Brown Mountain road (picture) to Aughavannagh, Slieve Maan to Glenmalure (hard), then down the river to Clash, up to Rathdrum, down to Deputy's pass, and finally back towards the Tap. The Vikings set has a good sign on that road - "Please wipe feet before walking on snow".

39566559205_0101346961_c.jpgOn the Brown Mountain road, Wicklow, Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

have you seen the weather forum? it's like christians preparing for the rapture.

That’s some busy thread...who says weather is boring! I love my frozen H2O!
    Wondering where and when I can get my skis out. Hellfire descent is always good for some white powder off-Piste highs if there is a big dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

have you seen the weather forum? it's like christians preparing for the rapture.

Having seen this post, I took a trip over to the weather forum. I didn't understand a fraction of what they were talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe it's just an elaborate game of mornington crescent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

brownian wrote: »
    Pleasant spin around south Wicklow today. Parked near the Tap, took old N11 to Jack Whites, down to Brittas, along the coast road to just before Arklow, back to N11, up Beech Road and down into Avoca, left to Woodenbridge, right to Aughrim (soup), back to Ballinaclash, then the Brown Mountain road (picture) to Aughavannagh, Slieve Maan to Glenmalure (hard), then down the river to Clash, up to Rathdrum, down to Deputy's pass, and finally back towards the Tap. The Vikings set has a good sign on that road - "Please wipe feet before walking on snow".

39566559205_0101346961_c.jpgOn the Brown Mountain road, Wicklow, Ireland

That a a lovely spin, lovely spring like weather today too. oh wore that red Hoy jacket i bought from from you last Autumn, it's first outing today due to an enforced lay off, really nice comfy jacket :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Drat should have got the bike out today based on them. Long turbo tomorrow won't be fun so long stretch on the couch could be on the cards for me I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

First proper club spin ever today.

Pace was slow but needed it to get my head around and face the fear of riding close to others.

Also flat spin meant no facing my fat person Kryptonite.

Felt reasonably comfortable by the end but will doubtless be nervous nelly again next week.

Whole new level of respect for people riding in fast groups. I thought it was just about strength and confidence but there's a lot of concentration to be done.

Need to work on everything, but particularly my signalling as currently a bit of a Daria...

Good spin, well led.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Usual Sunday morning 50k for me, albeit anticlockwise instead of clockwise due to the wind coming from the east. Cold and windy out there, but nice and sunny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Usual Sunday morning 50k for me, albeit anticlockwise instead of clockwise due to the wind coming from the east. Cold and windy out there, but nice and sunny too.

Ditto 50km for me this morning also...I'm of the opinion no matter what route I take there's always a headwind at some point grrrr.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

brownian wrote: »
    On the Brown Mountain road, Wicklow, Ireland

Nice one Brownian, both a shadow selfie and a name tag one:o

funny one earlier, a bunch of chaps from dublin wheelers passed me on the approach to ballyboughal; found one alongside me for a couple of hundred metres, so decided to pass some friendly remark so as not to appear antisocial. if i interpreted his body language/response correctly, to put it into words it was something along the lines of a slightly confused 'uh, i'm just passing you, didn't expect a conversation?'

Nice one Brownian, both a shadow selfie and a name tag one:o
    if he'd been moving at the time, it would have been a triple whammy (slightly obscure physics joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

To the guy in the high vis jacket and cotton shorts descending a f**king baltic sally gap this morning with no gloves, bare arms and not looking in the slightest bit bothered about it I salute you sir! You were just the htfu reminder I needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

55km Club Spin this morning. Absolutely Baltic and 3 of the lads got punctures at different times which didn’t help us get any warmth up

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

60 with the club, 30 on my own. Headwind for the first 20k was a drag but overall great spin.

We had one in short sleeves and shorts too. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

After the mild dramatics of the last two club spins (crashed last week and spent 50 km on my own the previous week) today was lovely. Glorious sunny day and despite the Garmin reading little more than 2-3 degrees, it really didn't feel cold.

A nice sized bunch set off through Longwood, Rathmolyon, Summerhill, Kilcock, Prosperous, coffee stop in Allenwood, and on through Carbury, in to Enfield and home. We weren't the only ones who were making the most of the weather, it's a long time since I've seen as many groups out.
    The racing lads and youngsters flexed their muscles a few times reminding me that I'm a "slightly over optimum racing weight" 42 year old asthmatic but apart from the last km before the break I managed to hang in for the most of it.
    Finished up with 95 km done @ 29.5kmh. Really enjoyed it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Solo run - going grand until I turned at Ma'am Cross straight in to a very strong headwind the whole way home - tough going... cold but dry...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1425618392

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Last weekends club spin was my first century ride in 18 months so delighted with that despite the awful weather.

This weekend was a biting wind with 20 km solo yesterday up the boards hellfire TT and looped back via Bohernabreena where I think I wore through an entire set of break blocks as I nervously descended, got home and cleaned and serviced the bike.

Todays club cycle was a lot more comfortable still strong winds but a nice 60km up Ballinaskorney to Blessington and back. Flat out pushing down theembankment on the way home and still a minute down on my Strava PB, I can safely say that was due to the headwind.

Lovely weekend for the bike this weekend, hope theres plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

On the beer last night and Friday, went out about 3 today and went out to Howth, got lifted out of it by a Guard on the Quays while stopped at a red for not having my lights turned on... the brightest day of the year like and even needed dark glasses. Anyway I switched them on and that appeased him.

On I went out to Howth and decided to go up the village side and to the right of the church but I failed and went back down to start again and went to the left of the church and on up to the summit. Back down and home. Garmin is showing over 500 metres and the only climbing was Howth Head so I was probably nearly at the top when I failed the first time.. Going off the beer now for a while

• Advertisement

worth commenting that joanna donnelly - the met eireann forecaster - seems to be a right decent sort on twitter, and is a keen cyclist who has tweeted support of the MPDL and her dislike of hi-vis fetishism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

First weekend since probably late Nov or early Dec that I managed a Sat and Sun spin. Did a loop from the house to Morriscastle/ Kilmuckridge and a couple of laps of Kilmuckridge via main road. Just over 40 km avg just over 26 kph. Hope to up the mileage next week, fingers crossed.

worth commenting that joanna donnelly - the met eireann forecaster - seems to be a right decent sort on twitter, and is a keen cyclist who has tweeted support of the MPDL and her dislike of hi-vis fetishism.

I recall her responding with some serious class and humour on there to some trolls commenting on her looks or something last year during the big storm, actually I think was a hand written letter someone wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First morning back on the saddle in almost two weeks. I was fighting a strong enough wind for the first half of my cycle, but turned a corner and was blown the rest of the way. It wasn't too cold out, definitely manageable at least. I have a feeling this might be my only day cycling this week given the forecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She's pretty active on twitter on the subject alright, you regularly see her call out certain parts of officialdom, most recently some time since Friday it was the gardai over one of their high vis comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Will post in this thread today since i expect remainder of the week will be wimp list for me. Cold this morning.

On Saturday I went for a short spin up the bohernabreena reservoir, had started it before on a road bike but wanted to go to end of it so i took my hybrid. actually it is quite doable on a road bike tbh, though there is (shallow) sand on the last part which thin tyres might not enjoy. That was Saturday morning, returned home around about 2:10 just on time for the match. My youngest had given one of his friends my phone charger so my phone was left at home charging up from nearly empty. This was the first time probably ever I had gone for a spin without a phone.

My brother in law had picked up a ticket for the rugby for me while i was on the bike. He and my wife were trying to reach me but i couldn't be contacted. It was too late to shower, change and make my way to the aviva to collect it off him by the time i got home, match was kicking off while i was speaking to him on phone :(

Ah well tbh i thoroughly enjoyed it and the scotland v england game on the telly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hardy cyclist between Skerries and Lusk this morning with no gloves. :eek:

(My hands were cold in the car).

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

My usual 35k loop was most unusual with the easterly wind, it was bitterly cold. Had to keep the HR up to stay warm. I had a neck buff on but had it up over my nose for most of the spin. Could be my last outdoor spin until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Started commute fine, then the wind bit in and I felt like someone had just stuck seven ice cream cones onto my forehead.
    Have to cycle next few days so hoping my ice tyres will see me through if it snows and the winds aren't as awful as forecast.

• Advertisement

Dropped the wee one off at pre-school and needed to head into town for a few bits, was bloody cold out there. My route from the school to town involved an 800m ish downhill into the wind, my face and ears were fit to drop off me by the time I hit the bottom of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement