Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was lovely out yesterday...11k cycle home from dropping car to be serviced and bloody freezing today. Gunna be some serious turbo time getting done this week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wasn't to bad when I left home on the bike at 5.40am but walked to the shops during the morning and it's definitely getting colder! The homeward leg into the wind is going to be bitter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

C3PO wrote: »
    Wasn't to bad when I left home on the bike at 5.40am but walked to the shops during the morning and it's definitely getting colder! The homeward leg into the wind is going to be bitter!!

yeah I felt the cold at lunchtime far more than I did on the way in this morning.

a nice headwind off the right side on my way out the coast path to Sutton this evening :eek:
    https://www.windfinder.com/#13/53.3632/-6.1882/2018-02-26T18:00Z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cold commute into work this afternoon. Followed Wishbone Ash for a spell on the R132 (didn't know until I looked on Strava) - that warmed me up!. If it doesn't snow tomorrow then I'll cycle for my last day of shift otherwise my ride home tonight will be the last for a while.
    Have to set up the rollers in the shed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1427087819

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

First cycle (yesterday) since I hurt my back at start of year. Did 40km around Dublin. Felt a bit sore after. Will try and ease myself back in slowly. The weather will probably mean I miss this weekend though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Followed Wishbone Ash for a spell on the R132 (didn't know until I looked on Strava)...
    I didn't realise either that it was yourself I was talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

secman wrote: »
    That a a lovely spin, lovely spring like weather today too. oh wore that red Hoy jacket i bought from from you last Autumn, it's first outing today due to an enforced lay off, really nice comfy jacket :)

Glad you like it. Could have used it 8-)

Nice one Brownian, both a shadow selfie and a name tag one:o

Dat's how it's done, innit?

Billy no mates, more like 8-)

I didn't realise either that it was yourself I was talking to.

I saw you heading across Blakes Cross and thought I noted a white bike and Swords kit, but when I caught up I noticed it wasn't a single speed, so was unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I came in on bike this morning, a little less cold than yesterday though I did get some flurries of very powdery snow. I stopped to put on a pair of orange glasses from decathlon, they kept it out of my eyes. Best €5 (or so) I ever spent :P

https://www.decathlon.ie/cycling-100-adult-cycling-sunglasses-category-1-en-s129778.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Did my usual commute this morning. I need to upgrade my fingerless gloves. My hands were so cold i couldn't turn the key in the door to get into work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Did my usual commute this morning. I need to upgrade my fingerless gloves. My hands were so cold i couldn't turn the key in the door to get into work. :D

yeah both my new winter gloves and my wind-proof socks came up a bit short this morning. it was nice cycling in the light snow flurries though.

am expecting I might need to use the MTB for my commute tomorrow if it's as bad as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In the last two weeks I've only managed to get on the bike twice. Between the flu and the snow it just wasn't possible! Back on it this morning and had a lovely cycle in. A nice easy morning for it, little wind, good temperatures and dry. A nice way to ease into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Tentative cycle today, but it was fine on my route. Dundrum to city centre so not exactly isolated or adventurous, I imagine more rural routes will need a little more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Still a bit of ice crap on road sides, 'cycle lanes' :pac: so instead of the usual Stannaway / Clogher Rd (relatively wide and quieter, wide handlebars so that matters) went direct through Harold's X, narrower roads and busier than I like for my morning route to work. I hope my usual route will be clear tomorrow (maybe it was today, but there is still ice enough where I live, so I don't want extra risks). Traffic volumes fine. Temperatures just right for a good pace.

Roads were grand this afternoon for my commute - good to be back on the bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

50km around snowy ( in parts ) NCD. Felt surreal cycling in places where the snow was banked about 4ft high in the ditches. Beautiful day for it though.

42km around NCD this morning. Cold enough but dry and bright. Almost took the good bike but stuck with the winter one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

My near five mile / 8 km commute home from Merrion Row to Templeogue was fine, except for some prick in a eleven year old silver Volvo saloon who appeared to speed up so he could turn left in front of me, he wasn't fast enough, but too close, as he couldn't wait the two second it would take me to clear the junction. I really see the point of front rear cameras. Some snow / ice persistent on some spots, but nearly gone. Just right temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Back on the turbo this week after 3 weeks off it with a dislocated shoulder and fractured humerus, while not outside its still good to get the legs moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

My new light arrived yesterday so plotted out a 60km route, I realised about 10 minutes in that I'd forgotten my water so decided to cut it short, instead I went to beat a PR on a climb and headed home.

28km in total, cold and dry on rural roads, it was a perfect night for it. I'm looking forward to more night rides
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1441512281

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

The other morning I was cycling to work and saw a bin lorry parked in the cycle lane completely blocking it. Because of where it was it forced you onto the footpath or into oncoming traffic in a one way street. I saw another cyclist stop it front of it and take a picture of it. I'm assuming so he could complain to someone. Not sure that will make much difference as I often see cars stopped and fully blocking a cycle lane outside a police station.

One day I had a lorry driver beep me as I was "in his way" even though I waited for the bicycle traffic light to turn green and I was preventing him from turning left even though there was a no left turn sign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

40k around a damp and misty NCD this morning. Could not for the life of me get 'street fighting man' out of my head for the whole spin. Was a shorter spin than usual as i thought I wasn't firing on all cylinders, but managed 28kmh average which is good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As part of the Outdoor city event weekend going on Sheffield, I signed the OH and myself up for a two-hour introductory MTB confidence course aimed at beginners or people not long into the sport. Whilst I wasn't expecting to get much out of it myself as I had intended the course more for the benefit of the other half, it's a) some time on the bike and b) always useful to have someone watching what you're doing and saying "move this, do less of that, more of the other thing" too from time to time.

Lovely day to be out on the bike in the peaks district - and clearly a lot of other people had the same idea, be it mountain bikers, hill walkers/dog walkers, or the remnants of last night's rave in the forest still going on (I'm not joking about that last bit ... ) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

80 odd km for the club today, misty and damp out but brightened up towards the end. Highlight was a food break at the Mill in Maynooth. Noting the big sign on the door from Swords CC (and knowing they trip out there very regularly) as best coffee stop or something to that effect, the result was a big thumbs up. Free coffee refill and a mini bounty bar to get us all home, lovely fresh grub and nice atmosphere. Shamed to same my first visit (but won't be my last).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Misty 85 clicks today, great way to purge the 2nd hangover in as many days. Now where's my glass...
    Luxman wrote: »
    80 odd km for the club today, misty and damp out but brightened up towards the end. Highlight was a food break at the Mill in Maynooth. Noting the big sign on the door from Swords CC (and knowing they trip out there very regularly) as best coffee stop or something to that effect, the result was a big thumbs up. Free coffee refill and a mini bounty bar to get us all home, lovely fresh grub and nice atmosphere. Shamed to same my first visit (but won't be my last).

They always bribe us (different club) with extra goodies. Great for return business, bad for my waistline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

60km club spin this morning, all groups out together with a Coffee and scone break at halfway,

First spin on the bike since I did some post winter maintenance. New bottom bracket, new cables(gears & brakes) new pads, new chain, all reindexed and new bar tape

It's like a new bike

Probably shouldn't have gone out as I am dying sick, but didn't get out last weekend over the snow, so needed to. Had to skip going to Sunday lunch with the wife and mother in law as I feel worse now, :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

47km solo run this morning - out to Moycullen, across to Spiddal and back in - a couple of showers along the way but mainly dry - gave the bike a full clean and degrease when I got back...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1447112895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

My first road 100k of the year today, with the club, big group, and a lovely day for it in Sligo. Avg speed 25km/h, so I’m delighted with that. Moving slowly towards my goal of finishing the WW200 this summer.

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable Tara 200 Audax, in near perfect (cool, dry, still-ish) conditions, exploring the hidden delights of Meath and Cavan.

Still a fair amount of snow in places, but the roads were grand.

26883191838_effc2960b9_c.jpgwinter riders 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement