Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Still nursing my back so managed my first 50+ km spin this year. Headed across to boolavogue The Harrow to Ferns. There was a strong headwind from Ferns to Gorey. Down to Courtown and back the coast road to Ballygarrett, Killenagh and home. 55 km avg just over 24.3 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

Did Haul'D'Naul 70km yesterday. That was my first ever cycling event, and also first proper cycle in a group, which was a revelation. Avg'd just over 28km/h and really enjoyed it. Many thanks to the organisers. You can see the amount of work that goes into these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I noticed some fresh paint on some haul d Naul road markings today and was going to look up when it was on - shame it was yesterday!!
    Got out for 70Km out to Howth and back. Went up the easier side as the winter bike hasn't got my favoured 32 on the back. Not done that route in ages and I'd forgotten how many downhill parts there are to an uphill route..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1449169236

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The HdN markings hardly needed redoing, they are annoyingly stubbornly painted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

56km around a partly flooded NCD today. I was considering posting in the "Tell us about your kayaking trip today " forum instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    The HdN markings hardly needed redoing, they are annoyingly stubbornly painted on.
    Nearly as annoying as the poster signage - still no sign (pun unintended) of them being taken down. I don't really get this. I know it's for a good cause etc. but could they not simply request that the people who put up the signs in their area, take them down again? Or request some assistance from cycling clubs in the area?

Last year I couldn't take it any more and removed one outside my house which had been left there for over 2 months after the event. No point in annoying the tidy towns people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Cycling into work this morning i could feel there was something different about the cycle. Forgot to put my helmet on!

Felt like i was cycling in the nip! Very self conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cycling into work this morning i could feel there was something different about the cycle. Forgot to put my helmet on!

Ha! I do this every so often, or I put on my cap and forget the helmet. I usually realise about half way into work. It feels really strange when I notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cycling home from work yesterday I was really pleased with how quickly I was going, knocking out a better than usual speed into a headwind. I got home and 'realised' I'd left my pannier in work, on the ground beside the bike rack.

well, first I panicked and thought it had fallen off en route but thankfully a colleague then confirmed it was in work. so maybe I wasn't going as well as I'd thought :pac:

... I put on my cap and forget the helmet...
    On a few occasions club mates have turned up at club spins making the same mistake - putting on a cap/beanie etc and then forgetting about the helmet. They then have to be turned away (unless the live nearby and we can cycle by their house).
    ... I got home and 'realised' I'd left my pannier in work..
    I did the opposite last week for the first time ever. I left home and knew there was something different going on but couldn't put my finger on it. Then the penny dropped - backpack still at home.

I regularly forget gloves but usually realise before I get to the end of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

... I put on my cap and forget the helmet. I usually realise about half way into work. It feels really strange when I notice!

Hah ... I'm your brother on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I forgot my bike once

cycled down to the shop and walked home

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

damp start to the day. Supposed to be very very wet over the weekend so one must cycle when one gets a dryish day. Roads were very wet and filthy. Did my few intervals but the latter ones just felt like a slog. Hit a few short hills too. Glad to get home and showered. Work done but felt the overall spin was “meh”.

58 km about NCD in the drizzle. Only saw one other cyclist out somewhere near Oldtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Nice 40km after work today . Headed from inchicore over to knockmaroon hill only to realise my front derailleur has packed it in luckily it's a short hill.done a lap of Phoenix park then down strawberry beds and home to tallaght via lucan.
    Will have to try fix or change front derailleur tomorrow before I decide to tackle any real hills

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I cycled into town to have a nosey at the parade. Early enough that the atmosphere was still quite nice, over the next while the drinking, puking and fighting will be unbearable. Very cold out and I'd no gloves on. It was hilarious to see Conor McGregor running on O'Connell St and looking back at the lovely Dee Devlin and shouting 'quick we're missing it' like a child shoutin back at his Mammy and getting upset. I think he's stalking me actually, that's three times in 7 days I've seen him.

Big wind out there too, I managed a PR from Heuston up to Kilmainham with about half the effort it usually takes for that stretch

.... Very cold out and I'd no gloves on....
    :eek: I had heavy gloves on this morning and had trouble keeping my hands warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Very strong and cold easterly wind - went early to get back for parade - club finals and grand slam win! Clocked up 68km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1457460655

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Just went out for a short 15 km spin around the city. It' not too bad now, the snow is melting. Should be ok for tomorrow apart from the mountains. At least I hope so, really need a good spin before the long weekend is over. This bad weather is driving me up the wall.

Just under 40km around NCD as short of time due to sleeping in...
    First ride on new parts and had to keep stopping to make adjustments so didn’t really get warm and keep warm.
    When I first got on the bike I found I’d fitted my bottle cage upside down - not a good omen, but that was the only mechanical issue. Gears were annoying most of the ride but I think I’m 99% there now.
    Wind was hard at times and pretty cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

60km solo this afternoon after being sick the last 2 weeks, didn’t think there was much of a wind till I turned for home. 30km into a grueling headwind all the way home, couldn’t get above 25kmph even on the downhill. Soul destroying stuff, to add insult to injury I forgot my overshoes, my feet were numb, miserable day on the bike, contemplated calling for a lift once or twice. Glad I didn’t in the end but I am in bits now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Moycullen, Spiddal route today - cold, strong easterly but bright, sunny and dry...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1460987906

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Out to Howth for myself and a buddy. Along the seafront from clontarf to Sutton we averaged about 21kph between my twingy knee and his twingy hamstring. The wind was cruel. 92k all in but happy enough to get the miles after two days stuck in due to the weather

A slow wander around NCD. Didn’t really feel like going but needed to make the most of dry weather and kids in school

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just realised that the clocks go forward an hour this Sunday :):) mid week spins on the horizon ... happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

52km yesterday, wind was a bit of a bitch at times. A few pints at the Feeder gig last night reversed all the good work but it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First spin on the new chain this morning. So so smooth. It feels like a new bike. I had a fairly brutal headwind to contend with but in some ways I was okay with it. I haven't been on the bike as much as I'd like in the last month so I was due some punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

50km or so today in glorious weather was just the tonic needed as I've been off the road since Feb 4th with a 4week block on the turbo done.

I have learned that racing is a good bit off still but just pleased to be able to do some road work so soon after my injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

First spin of any proper note in quite some time, just shy of 90k out to Kilcock and back again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1469133137/overview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

P_1 wrote: »
    First spin of any proper note in quite some time, just shy of 90k out to Kilcock and back again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1469133137/overview

Hmmm. Must check our flybys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement