Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

First proper day in the mountains, headed off to the Blooms and did the fairly classic Cut, Wolftrap, Wolftrap, Cut route to Kinnitty from Clonaslee before heading home.

Biggest disappointment was that the nice cafe in Kinnitty hasn't awoken from it's winter slumber yet so we had to make do with a cup of Maxwell House and a Twix from the local shop, we were fairly hungry by the time we got back to the Hares Corner in Mountmellick for lunch.

160km/1700m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First trip to Wicklow since the Summer, and first 100 since October. First non commute cycle since crashing in Feb too. Took out the good bike when I saw the sun shine.

Dublin to Laragh via Old Long Hill/Lover's Leap Lane. Only did it once before and got off to use an inhaler then. I have better lungs and legs now as was straight up. Quick stop for an espresso, onto Aughrim, and then returned via Rathnew, Greystones and Bray. Cramped badly on the way up to windgates as I'd neglected water for a bit. Some of the roads were still fairly dirty, some where their usual rubbish, but some where lovely as ever.

Slow going for much of it, taking in the views and enjoying the day. A very patient driver had the misfortune of puncturing when he had the chance to overtake me. Offered him my help, but he politely decline (wise decision)

just shy of 160 k in 6.5 hours at around 24 kmph. If I didnt have to trek across Dublin, it would make a world of difference.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1469467562

Was out early this morning with herself for a while went up through Bellewstown from the Julianstown side and back to Drogheda via Duleek, Donore, Old Bridge where we stopped off for a while, forgot they did park runs out there so there was a few around. Met a group of 4 coming against us between Donore and Oldbridge who gave us a big hello and and waves. So hello to yee if you post here.

Just a lovely morning to be out fresh and cool but not too cold that I needed a jacket. Base and long sleeves and 3/4 shorts. Almost felt a bit of heat in the sun on my back when out of the light breeze.

I've a feeling if we had done that route in reverse my legs might tell a different story :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lovely morning for a nice 50km spin around NCD. Chilly enough to start with though, around 4 or 5C. First time out in ten days, it was a novelty to ride on dry roads. 27.5km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin in 4 weeks. I tore my calf at work and then pulled a muscle in my back to go with it. Whatever about the leg, I was in bits with the back. I was in so much pain at one stage I looked at my bike and thought "I might have to sell you" . Now I love that bike. I stare lovingly past my wife to admire it at times, so yeah, I was utterly miserable. I didn't even look at Strava or come in here for a glance for the last month. I've signed up for The Orwell Randonee and looking like mission impossible. MB200... No chance.

Anyway, I was back at work and moving about better for the last couple of days so when I saw the sunshine this morning I thought to hell with it,I'm going to chance a spin.

I hooked up with the club. A decent number out this morning, close to 20, so plenty of shelter and I used it for a while to make sure I was OK. As the spin went on I even managed a few turns up front and didn't die on the small hill we took in.

I suffered a bit from lack of fitness toward the end, truth being told I'd been lazy since before Christmas anyway. Garmin tells me I hit 190 bpm which is damn high for me.

Ended up with 85km done in 2:47 @just over 30kmh.
    Im now panned out on the bed as the back is stiff as a board but that'll pass.
    I might actually manage the Orwell if I get some tailwind going up the Gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Was out early this morning with herself for a while went up through Bellewstown from the Julianstown side and back to Drogheda via Duleek, Donore, Old Bridge where we stopped off for a while, forgot they did park runs out there so there was a few around. Met a group of 4 coming against us between Donore and Oldbridge who gave us a big hello and and waves. So hello to yee if you post here.

Yep, brilliant morning at Oldbridge yesterday. 110+ parkrunners yesterday, and VHI with free coffee, physio, complementary massage balls. Cafe and facilities makes it a great pitstop for rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Hadn't really planned on heading out yesterday but the afternoon was so good I couldn't resist. Because all my club spins are in NCD, Meath or Kildare, I headed for the mountains for the first time since the end of October. Despite the 'Road Closed' sign on the Military Road at Glencree, I headed on for Sally Gap along with a few other cyclists and cars. All went well until about a km from the Gap where snow had drifted onto the road and covered about 50m of it. Right in the middle of this was a 4x4 completely stuck with an army of helpers trying to dig, push and eventually tow it out.
    Had a good chat there with an Orwell member who was on his way back from Slieve Maan. He confirmed that all the other main roads around were clear so I headed down past Lugala and back home via the Old Long Hill and Enniskerry. Lots of bits of broken blue rope around as a reminder of recent weather together with three burnt out cars! The only downside of the spin was discovering that my red Altura rain jacket had gone missing somewhere along the way. If anyone came across it, I'd really appreciate getting it back :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1469593884/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1521916725

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... The only downside of the spin was discovering that my red Altura rain jacket had gone missing somewhere along the way. If anyone came across it, I'd really appreciate getting it back :)...
    Is that the one I already retrieved for you by going back up a climb while on a long descent during the Mick Byrne? You'll have to learn how to put it into your pocket more securely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is that the one I already retrieved for you by going back up a climb while on a long descent during the Mick Byrne? You'll have to learn how to put it into your pocket more securely. :D

He has to find it first...hope you do too.

It’s such a pity to see so many cars burned out and the rampant dumping. What must the tourists think of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

First spin since a trip to st Vincent's with the blues and two due to a pulmonary embolism in February.

23km Mtb spin and really sore all over (taking blood thinners so only allowed paracetamol), probably shouldn't be on the Mtb yet but a gorgeous day and a memorial social spin for a local cyclist that couldn't be missed.

Spin classes and the road for the next 6 weeks.

• Advertisement

Could hardly call it a spin but had to pick up a few bits in tesco so rode up there and realising it was 6pm and I've more day light now proceeded to take the long way home on the run around bike 6km around town as opposed to the 2km there and back, would have been rude not to given the lovely evening it was ... or so I told my partner who was waiting on the eggs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Sunday 25.3.2018. Cycled to Dun Laoghaire harbour from Blackrock direction. I usually take the scenic route - the path between the railway and the sea wall - via Seapoint Martello Tower to the back of the West Pier.

Had to wait to get to the first bridge to see that the path was closed ! Those ahead had pushed the barriers partially open so I followed. Second barrier at the next bridge ditto.

If I had come from the opposite direction I would have travelled a fair distance to find that it was closed :mad:.

Just be aware of the situation if going that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Sunday morning, headed into the Athlone and onto the greenway with a mate. Was going to go just the far side of moate, but ended up going all the way to mullingar and back! Had some water and bars in Mullingar and headed back. Boy were we unprepared. I wasn't too bad as I had a big bowl of porridge with a banana for brekkie and homemade oat bars to keep me going, but he only had a slice of toast and an egg for brekkie, and a protein bar in mullingar. He hit the wall about 5/10k from moate, completely drained. We made it to moate (slowly) where the lucozade sport and choc bars refuelled him and headed back. Lesson learnt, longest cycle yet at 85k, previous was about 40k. Now I know I can do it, I will be more prepared the next time:-) Weather was nice, but a damn cold breeze. I think i need to invest in a gilet. I got cold after every stop and it took a good few mins to warm up again. Legs fine today as we weren't pushing it, and last 15k was slow enough. I know it will be a lot different with hills, but it's all a learning curve....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Sunday morning, headed into the Athlone and onto the greenway with a mate. Was going to go just the far side of moate, but ended up going all the way to mullingar and back! Had some water and bars in Mullingar and headed back. Boy were we unprepared. I wasn't too bad as I had a big bowl of porridge with a banana for brekkie and homemade oat bars to keep me going, but he only had a slice of toast and an egg for brekkie, and a protein bar in mullingar. He hit the wall about 5/10k from moate, completely drained. We made it to moate (slowly) where the lucozade sport and choc bars refuelled him and headed back. Lesson learnt, longest cycle yet at 85k, previous was about 40k. Now I know I can do it, I will be more prepared the next time:-) Weather was nice, but a damn cold breeze. I think i need to invest in a gilet. I got cold after every stop and it took a good few mins to warm up again. Legs fine today as we weren't pushing it, and last 15k was slow enough. I know it will be a lot different with hills, but it's all a learning curve....

I'm hoping to do it next weekend, weather dependant. have done a good chunk of it out and back before but haven't yet done the whole lot in 1 go.

edit: might add in a couple of ascents of piss off hill on the way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Left Swords at 10.45, just had 3/4 length bibshorts, base layer & long sleeved jersey. 62km done , found it a bit cool at times. Beautiful morning, would have stayed out longer only I was in work for 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, went out with shorts and fingerless gloves this afternoon for the first time this year, found it a little nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Longish spin yesterday to Kilbeggan, Tullamore, Portarlingon (Orwell DMK 200). Bright and sunny all day, except for maybe an hour of overcast. Mostly ridden on the 'old main road' to Galway, and then on fair-sized roads back as far as Kildare - can't say that I loved the route at all (dull, big roads, lots of cars), but it's an efficient way to knock out the kms, with hardly any climbing. Went fingerless, but wore 3/4 tights and sealskinz socks, and wasn't sorry. Wore just a single base layer and a Mossa (like a Gabba) - pretty much the right choice. 220 all told.

Lessons learnt: going a little faster than comfortable ultimately leads to serious tiredness. Kilbeggan needs a bench on the street (Garda station window sills - yes please). Choose your shorts carefully. Drink. There are hills in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

So I left my bike at work today and decided to do a run bike run Duathlon on my 11km home commute using the Galway bike scheme.

It was a terrible experience with the Galway scheme. I decided to pick up a bike from behind the Huntsman and cycle to west side. There were plenty of bikes but the station was not working so it told me to go to the nearest station, details to be found on a map which didn’t exist. I knew there was a station at city hall so off I went to pick up the last bike at the station. The reason it was the last bike was because the saddle was faulty, the handle bars were off set, the chain had come off and the gears were useless. I fixed the chain and cycled slowly off to west side. On my way I noted another empty bike bay at the university. Finally when I reached west side I was lucky enough to get one of the last available slots, a third of them were empty though but “out of order” and locked off. The whole organization is very poor.

When I ran the last 2km home I was chased by an angry dog and I could have saved time by running the whole 11km.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had a lovely, but cold spin home this evening. Wind behind me, so my average speed was north of 30km/h. The new chain I put on makes a world of difference, I know I keep harping on about it, but it's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Managed to get a short 32.50 km spin this evening, nice and sunny on the way home, headed out ... within 4km it got very dark.. very heavy rain and hailstones made for an uncomfortable early section, bike and cycling gear were destroyed with sludge. Didn't wear overshoes and feet were soaked and numb with the cold. 32.5 km avg speed 26.2 kph... look forward to Spring weather !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Out for the usual 25k last night since sunday's 85k. Arse was a bit sore but legs were fine. Nice to be out in the daylight...but 2 things, is EVER going to 1.get warmer, 2.is the wind ever going to ease off even a little? #hurryupsummer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

On Tuesday, Club Spin after work, great to be back on the road after a winter of Turbo in the evenings. headed out into the wind to get the push home, but when we turned back the wind died down. 50Km @ 28Kmph

Then last night, cycled into limerick after work and drove the Mothers car home, as i needed it for the weekend, into the wind again, this time it didnt let up and also got caught in a few hail showers 44Km @26kmph

Will try get another 50Km in this evening with the club, as a part from maybe next tue night, I wont get another spin in for 2 weeks :(

Forecast not looking great for the next 7 days so you were as well to get the km's in on the road this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

This morning to Sage & Stone, Duleek: pre midday - grand; post midday - yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

45km club spin this evening in the cold and rain and hail.

Got home from work @ 17:50. Quick sandwich, got changed and had to light the fire for when the wife got home from work. Out the door @18:00 and pegged it down to the meeting spot as they planned to to roll out then. Luckily they were still deciding on a route.

Kept an eye on the dark clouds and tried to avoid them but got caught out in some heavy rain and hail. Plenty of flooding in the road.

Character building is what you would call it.

The most annoying thing is I think my garmin is fubarred. Tried to start it up as i left home but it wouldn’t. Thought maybe it was flat even though I charged it yesterday before I went for a spin and it was fine when I finished. Plugged it in when I got home and no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Doing o/t in work so got to cycle for first time in a week thanks to half term - faster than usual ave speed for going to work.
    Haven't put my raceblades back on yet after fitting a new groupset and regretted it once I got to the wet roads in Swords. Everything was dry at home, but not so good for the last part. Kit is now all drying on the radiator for the ride home later

https://www.strava.com/activities/1479912025

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

116k on shíte mucky roads today. Stopped in a garage in Straffan and the place was mobbed with people trying to grab selfies with Conor McGreggor. He drives some fancy car. Also today I discovered that Kildare has hills...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1480054250

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

127kms around the hills yesterday, snow on Lough Bray, sunshine on Shay Elliott and a heaping of rain for good measure. Toughest spin of the year so far, but had a few flashes of form which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Short spin yesterday and my gears were jumping a tad, fresh enough cables so a good clean and indexing last night and it's like a different bike today.

Just a wander about today, the legs are feeling it after a tough week in the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

68km around NCD. Mrs Rushfan was out walking earlier & said there was no wind. Was a tad blustery from Portmarnock roundabout to north of Ballyboughal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement